Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 12 volt Vacuum pumps.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimmy six, Feb 26, 2018.

1. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anyone here ever connect one of the small vacuum pumps to their vacuum windshield wipers instead of engine vacuum? Some cars added a mechanical pump on the fuel pump to help make consistant but I was looking at small vacuum pumps on the net that could easily be mounted under the dash with a toggle switch.

2. I have used a mechanical on a diesel motor (attached to the back of the generator). Olds used a small electric in the '60s on the turbo motor cars that worked real well. I would not be afraid to try one at all.

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Packard had a vacuum pump built onto the oil pump. Not much help for what your doing. I just wanted to post something.

302GMC, Bandit Billy and ClayMart like this.
  4. LOL I think it was Graham that had the shaft driven blower back in the '30s I wonder what they used for vacuum. There I am one up on ya. :D

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I had several Graham Superchargers. Never did anything with them. Pretty cool, though. They were suck through. Maybe they took vacuum from under the carburetor.

6. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

There are camping air mattresses that conclude a small plastic battery operated (4 D cells) pump for pumping air into and out of the mattresses. They work well.
    The would be easy to hide and good for use on a limited basis I think.
    Any electric pump may be noisy unless mounted outside the cabin though.

7. oj

oj

Hella makes a great vacuum pump used on hybrid cars that don't have vacuum source, I've tried many different ones incl the SSBC one and the Hella is best in quality, sound, ease to work with and price.

8. zzford

zzford

9. zzford

zzford

10. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not sure your typical air mattress pump could generate enough vacuum to operate wipers.

My general impression of vacuum pumps is that they suck.

11. Rockerhead

Rockerhead
    Member Emeritus

12. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

13. leon bee

leon bee

I was getting interested till I saw those prices. That kinda money will buy a lot of RainX.

14. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

Look for a vac pump from a ~2000’s Ford F series Diesel. They only go to about 12-15 inches but it works well on my 49 for wipers. Comes with a nice reservoir too. They used them for the heater controls and it’s located on the right front inner fender.

Adam

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

wraymen likes this.
  15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for input. The ones I was looking at were under $20.00...3-4 hundred is out of the question, I can go electric for less. I was putting it out there to see what guys may have done. I've loosened the springs up on the wiper arms and that helped a bunch. Thanks Adam I'll look in some of the trucks.

16. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Yes I did just that. Several years ago I installed a 6 volt vacuum pump in a '48 Ford. I plumbed it as a dedicated circuit and left anything else that used vacuum intact. I used a small vacuum tank from a '70s era Chevy. The system worked great almost like a modern system. No lag what so ever when you stepped on the gas or going up hill.

wraymen likes this.
  17. zzford

zzford

leon bee likes this.
  18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

ZZ that looks like a good unit. Work in Progress mentioned it and I'm glad to see its size...Much better than the lower buck ones... Thanks

zzford likes this.
  19. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Just about all Japanese Diesels have these on the back of an Alternator! [they need an oil feed and a drain to the oilpan] They have enough grunt to "suck start a Harley"

20. If you want to go cheap and mechanical you may consider the smog pump from a '70s Ford. We use them for vac pumps on huffed motors, they make good volume.

21. bonzo-1

bonzo-1

Most small diesel cars have electric vacuum pumps. The last I used was from a ford tempo.