Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical brake hoses, braided or rubber?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lostone, Feb 25, 2018.

1. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Now that I have rotors and brake calipers sorted out I'm looking at positioning of front brake lines and trying to decide between rubber and braided hoses. I like the clean look of the rubber but being a non fendered car I like the extra protection of the braided.

So model A tudor, straight axle, no fenders what are you guys running and why?

2. Rubber is traditional....

The only real advantage braided has over rubber is it expands less under pressure which will give you a slightly firmer pedal. It also won't go bad internally, but rubber only does that with very extended age. Durability is a wash....

3. robtlor

robtlor
    from Lincoln NE

Painted front end, rubber. Chrome everything (not hamb friendly) stainless braided.

4. I used rubber ones on my '32 tudor. I'm not worried about traditional looks or anything. They are still exposed under the fenders, but I want to be able to go to O'reilly's or NAPA and get another one right away if I need to.

trollst likes this.

5. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To me its just a matter of personal preference. On my 26T build I used P&J front end and disc brakes, braided lines and thru frame fittings. DO NOT use Speedway thru frame fittings! Throw them away, get a set from RUSSELS and all problems will be solved. The rubber hoses a very stout in their own right, but I just prefer the look of the braided.

6. The benefit to braided is they don’t swell under hard braking —- basicly if your racing the thing

Rubber lasts a long time before needed replacement just due to age
    Braided a bit longer

Rubber is traditional

Depends on what you like I giess

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

If you choose the braided SS route the DOT approved ones from Russell should be considered. If you find yourself challenged by the traditional police a sleeve of black shrink tube may allow you to run under the radar.;)
    Many lengths and end fitting combinations available
    Here ya go.
    https://www.google.com/search?biw=1280&bih=752&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=UhCTWtnwFsmIjwPyuYbwBw&q=russell+dot+stainless+steel+braided+brake+hoses&oq=russell+dot+stainless+steel+braided+brake+hoses&gs_l=mobile-gws-img.3...44673.47441..49552...0....133.732.0j6..........1..mobile-gws-wiz-img.......35i39j30i10.xFXuWmWXDR0=

8. How about a photo? HRP

9. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I take exception to this and present a third option. Chrome everything, hamb friendly, and Upholstered hoses (rubber). :)

IMG_4220.JPG

10. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Thanks guys, I've been leaning towards the rubber myself. One thing I'm trying to stay away from is a bunch of extra connections. If I go braided it will be ones with the integral banjos. The idea of a connection at the brake hose end of the caliper I don't like especially something that is going to do lots of turning.

As stated above I like over the counter parts too.

Montana1 likes this.
  11. goldmountain

goldmountain

Does anyone know where to get that red and white spiral wrap over the brake hoses I see on every Grabowski - Kookie car clone? I think it might be for bicycle cables.

12. I prefer the stock OEM rubber hoses.

13. i found it on ebay.

14. You already are running disk brakes, so I don't think it matters.

seadog, zzford, TTR and 1 other person like this.
  15. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Straight braided hose is not dot approved. Brake quip offers a braided hose with a clear covering and that is the only one that is actually dot approved, The plain stainless that everyone offers is only suppose to be used for show or off road use. At the Napa that I work at on Sundays, they build custom brake hose's and are dot approved. We have a dot number and every hose we build has to be stamped with that number. It maybe different in other states. Who knows. Just stating how it is here, so best to check. Larry

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  16. trollst

trollst

Rubber is best, especially when you're in bumfuck nowhere and a hose goes bad. It's really nice when you can go to mom and pops parts store, get what you need and get home again.

17. are the ends different between the rubber and braided?

18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

http://www.russellperformance.com/powersports/mc/brake-clutch-hose-kits/universal.shtml

FACTORY ASSEMBLED UNIVERSAL BRAKE HOSES
    Street Legal Universal Brake Hoses are 50-state legal and meet all the guidelines of the D.O.T. MVSS-571.106 requirements to deliver an extra margin of safety. These brake hoses are preassembled using Russell high-performance -3 stainless steel braided hose with a rugged PTFE inner liner and crimp-on chrome, Mach 3 or Renegade plated female swivel hose ends. The hose is clear coated for abrasion resistance on painted surfaces. Compatible with all brake fluids, they are suitable for stock, custom and racing applications. Universal hoses offer many advantages for building a complete front or rear brake hose.

19. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I used a black racing hose on the '31 that gives it a stock look but braided strength. Has a smooth plastic outer that gives it the stock look. Technically, they are not "street legal".

20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

My RPU is getting Raybestos rubber brake lines.
    No fancy braided stuff for me.
    If I need new hoses I’ll be able to get them anywhere, and they’re SAE- DOT labeled.