Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical So, what do I do with this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Miked0002, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Miked0002

Miked0002

I was trying to figure out what motor I had. I assumed it was the 216 but when I found the casting numbers, it came back as a 235. Are they good motors? What are they worth?[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Put it in something.

3. Miked0002

Miked0002

The 51 is the only thing I have that it would go in. I’m kind of leaning toward selling it but I don’t know what it’s worth. Especially since it’s frozen from sitting

4. oldolds

oldolds

Froze up? More than likely it's worth about $8.50/100#. While that engine is not as common as it once was it isn't the hardest to find either. Now if you invest some time in it and knock out the pistons and have it checked for cracks and wear ect. Then it will be worth a little bit more than what it cost to have checked out.

5. john walker

john walker

Better than a 216, on which most heads are cracked.

6. Miked0002

Miked0002

My original plans were to put a v8 in it. But if this motor has at least alittle power and worth rebuilding, then I’ll leave it in the car.

7. Miked0002

Miked0002

It sat for awhile and is locked. I took the head off and the cylinders don’t look bad.

8. 3340

joly0022 likes this.
  9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Put a later 194-215-230-250-292 style six in it! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

indyjps likes this.
  10. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Let's see the car ... then we can help more.

11. Miked0002

Miked0002

[​IMG][​IMG]

I know, it’s rough. But 200 bucks with a title.

12. It would make a good boat anchor.:D HRP

Miked0002 likes this.
  13. Miked0002

Miked0002

I was in the process of tearing down the car while gathering body parts while getting a plan together for it. A neighbor said “it probably has a 216” so that’s what I assumed it was. I ran the casting number and found out it’s a 235. I’m not sure how much better those are then the 216. I’m also not sure if I want to keep the original motor or swap a v8 into it. I have a ton of time before I need to make my mind up about it.

14. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

A froze up motor would just suit that car.

To be serious for a minute. If you want to put the car back on the road, most guys prefer a later engine with full pressure lubrication and insert bearings to the original splash lubed babbit bearings. I won't go into the harrowing details because there are web sites that will tell you how to tell them apart.

The 235 is about the only motor that is a direct bolt in. If it was my car I would try and get the car running with the motor that was in it but I would oil up the spare motor and keep it handy especially if it is a later model. 53 to 62 were the years they made the good ones.

To answer your other question. Millions of people drove billions of miles behind that motor. Just not very fast. They were reliable and easy to drive but not very exciting. A few hop up tricks can wake them up and give you 25% or 30% more pep but beyond that, you might better not waste your time and money.

With a mildly hopped up 235 in that car you could drive anywhere in the US at legal speeds and have a lot of fun doing it. And it won't eat you up with expenses for gas and repairs.

47chevycoupe and Hollywood-East like this.
  15. automatic? i would leave it in and get it running. they are nice little cars.

16. Miked0002

Miked0002

Yes, it’s automatic.

17. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Find a running motor...make coffee table out of it...

18. in those years only the automatics came with a 235. oil the cylinders up. if it turns it will run.

19. pitman

pitman

Marvel Mystery works wonders on thawing rings up! ;)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    shadetreerodder and dan31 like this.
  20. Miked0002

Miked0002

21. pitman

pitman

I've used an oak block, and a mallet to start a piston or two...also have bent a rod!

Miked0002 likes this.
  22. Miked0002

Miked0002

I think that’s my next move haha

23. Good luck looks like a nice project that'll keep ya busy and outa trouble for a while. :)

Miked0002 likes this.
  24. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

I say free it up Carefully, don't try to get it free, before the games on deal.... They take a few days lightly tapping side/side on the wrist pin, piss a little lacquer thinner in the cylinders as well.. Don't jump on a breaker bad with a piece of pipe like 99% Do... Pop that dent out on the pass fender, An cruise Man, loved my styleline! Was Auto as well

Miked0002 likes this.
  25. Ghost28

Ghost28

It could be a fine engine, but I would be happier with a small v8 in that car.

26. Miked0002

Miked0002

I already have the dent out and started doing some body work. I found most the parts I need for the front as well. The driver side was pretty banged up. I still have a ton of work to do before I can even think of driving it. I do really look forward to the day though.

27. acetone and automatic trans fluid works pretty good for unseizing stuck pistons. let it soak for a week. then use a propane torch and heat it up. the oil you got in the cyls will ignite. No big deal the burning oil will get thinner and seep down alongside the pistons that much better. pull the starter. you can get leverage on the flywheel teeth with a pry bar. Once I had a 51 chevy truck with a stuck engine. And pulled the plugs and soaked the cyls. I would put a 12 volt battery on it and try to bump the starter. Never freed up. So I thought I will pull the starter and pry on the flywheel. when I took off the starter the nose was broken. and had jammed the flywheel. Changed the starter and it fired right up. probably didn't need any cyl soaking to free it.

adam401 likes this.
  28. - Don't do this!! Get it free from the flywheel end, a little at a time, if it moves a little, it will usually free up. I once had a 216 that was frozen, soaked it, moved it a little each day, cleaned the crud out of the bores before the piston comes back up, and finally started it. A bit smoky, but it probably had 80,000 miles on it by then.

dan31 likes this.
  29. adam401

adam401

Like Old Wolf said acetone and atf mixture works wonders. I've soaked all kinds of stuff in this mixture to unseize bolts and stuff. I'd also say your better off trying to rotate a stuck engine than beating it into submission. If its been covered and its only stuck from sitting you should be able to get it to roll.

30. riv63

riv63
    from Texas

Those are great little motors. Hot Rod Works has the stuff you need to put a T-5 behind it if you want to go that direction.
    My 1st owned vehicle was a 52 Chevy pickup with a 235 in it. Hot stuff when I was 16.