Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Installing a synchro 35-39 trans in an '32 Ford

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by HaroldDegand, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Hello guys,

I'ld to install a 35-39 synchro v8 trans in an 4 banger model b.
    To get a less noisy an more pleasure use.
    I want to keep the original X and K members, and closed driveshaft.

I could put synchro gears into the model b case, but in the future, I'ld like to swap the 4 cylinder with a french v8 flathead.

I found the Cling's adapter to do this job, but on a Model A.
    http://www.clingsaftermarket.com/addtocart.asp?prod=3001

Thanks for your advices.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  2. Mac VP

Mac VP

You need to use the B gearbox to mate with the B engine. There is no adapter to connect the early V8 transmission to a B four cylinder engine.

The 1932 B transmission actually does have a synchronizer for second and high gears. It’s just a bit more primitive than the 1938-48 type synchro assembly. All the 32-35 Ford three speed transmissions (including the B type and the V8 type) have the straight cut gears for first and second gear so they will have the gear “whine “ sound.

You can upgrade the B transmission to the 40-48 gearsets with the better synchro but it means swapping the complete set PLUS you have to change the shifter housing and shifter lever to the 1939 type.

LOU WELLS and bct like this.
  3. 5280A2

5280A2

You can also use the V8 transmission and Cling's adapter if you remove your B transmission and flywheel housing and substitute a Model A flywheel housing. This will require removing the sheet metal extension from the rear of your Model B oil pan that supports the bottom half of the B transmission.

4. Thanks Mac and 5280A2 for the advice.

I also found these solutions :

A friend of mine (lil32b) used a BB bellhousing with a Volvo M40 trans.
    This combo work pretty good, but imposes an open shaft.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/tech-banger-trans-swap.168654/page-2

An other solution, used by Model A owners, is a F170 RTS Tremec trans from F100-250 84-87 trucks.
    An work with a closed shaft.

Somebody has an other suggestion ?