Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1937 Lasalle transmission length and 59ab questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hitchhiker, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Anyone know him much longer a 1937 Lasalle transmission is compared to a 39 Ford top loader? It has been converted to closed drive with ford parts.

basically I am hoping that it's longer by enough to push a 59ab forward enough to eliminate the fan and dual belts and front pulley and use a single pulley and generator mounted fan and 1 belt. Thoughts?

I don't have either accessible for measurements currently and just trying to see if my idea will work.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. I would email Tuck as he is currently working with one in one of his many projects!

Hitchhiker likes this.
  3. alchemy

alchemy

Generator mounted fans come in a few different lengths. You can adjust the spacing you need there by trying a different year fan: 1932 through 1939 Standard.

I don't know for sure as it's been a few years since I measured mine, but I think the LaSalle setup is a couple inches longer. Might be too much to do what you are thinking of.

Do you have the correct bellhousing/adapter? There are hundreds of transmissions to each 59A bellhousing for a Cad LaSalle. Might want to find the bellhousing before you invest too much time in the conversion.

4. I do believe i have the correct bellhousing. I actually have a couple different ones. What I am attempting to do is move the engine forward in the chassis a little bit. So I can shorten the long hood that would result and in turn I can mount the body further forward on the chassis.

This is a model A frame with a 59ab and 39 top loader with a 40 x member installed. It was all meant for a different body.(willys tub, building a modified) But I think I can make it work pretty well, for me, if I can push the engine forward 2-3 inches and lengthen the rear a tiny bit when I step it.

Really I'm just bench racing. And knowing that the Lasalle Trans is in fact longer is exactly what I need to know.

Thanks

5. HarveyWallbanger

HarveyWallbanger

IMAG5901.jpg IMAG5908.jpg
    These aren't the best photos, but I was working around the parts pile. From what I remember, the transmission is close to the same length as the entire '39 box after adding the closed drive conversion, but with another 4" in the bellhousing, thickness of the Ford to Cad adapter, and thickness of your closed drive conversion varies, ~4.75" or so.

Attached Files:

6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I sold a Cad box converted to Ford closed rear to a gent in Florida, '40 Ford coupe. He said that with a McBar adaptor (engine to trans, aluminum with Ford crossbar/fork for T.O. brg) the rear mount centerline was 1.25" longer with the LaSalle.
    Measure it yourself. I doubt it is anywhere near 4". (If adaptors vary in length, what of the pilot shaft? No variance there, so it should be a 'set measurement'.
    The 'closed driveline conversion' I see in the pics are a new one on me.
    If the rear of the Cad box is simply drilled and tapped for the Ford bearing retainer/mount plate, all that needs doing are:
    1. Fit the plate directly onto the new rear bearing. (Ford transmission FRONT bearing, Cad tailshaft turned down, chopped off, and splined to Ford U joint)
    2. Cut 2 7/16" USS bolt heads off, and locktite the shanks into the holes that interfere with the Ford pattern.
    3. Drill and tap the 6 bolt holes for the Ford rear brg. retainer.
    4. Notch the outer Ford bearing SNAP RING in 6 places, as the rear 3/8" retainer bolts will be interfering with the snap ring's outside diameter.

I've NEVER seen an adaptor for the rear modification of a Cad box. Sure makes it G-R-O-W...

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  7. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Seems to me the Cad LaSalle ends up about three inches longer.
    I did the comparison a while ago when the question came up and I had the parts laying around..

I'll see if I can find the post as I no longer have any ford transmissions here.

8. Paul

Paul
    Editor

9. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Of course this is referring to Olds engines but the back of block to transmission mount hole is relevant

vtwhead likes this.