Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Stop, Drop, and Roll...1951 Chevy 3100 Redux

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RodGuyinCO, Jun 15, 2017.

1. So, let's use the directions and slide on the rear seal adapter...
    51 Truck 748.JPG As pointed out in the instructions, I needed to throw out a few drops of red loctite on the spindle (since it was loose on the spindle) so the adapter will stick...

2. OK, so now you have to bolt on the caliper mounts. In the instructions, they dictate that you need to make sure you can turn lock to lock once you've installed the mounts...
    51 Truck 750.JPG

51 Truck 751.JPG As instructed, you'll probably need to grind down the caliper mounts to clear the kingpin lock pins to make this happen...

3. But, wait, it gets better!
    51 Truck 752.JPG As it happens... The rear bearing race and seal need to be smacked out (preferably with a brass drift) to make room for the new race that's included in the kit and should be installed with a brass hammer and drift.
    51 Truck 753.JPG After you install the proper race, grease up the included bearing and install the rear seal. Oh, and don't forget to paint the discs if you've a mind to.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  4. At this point you can install your rotors on your spindles. Nice...
    51 Truck 755.JPG
    Please note the order in which the rest of the show should be installed (I've seen youtube vids where they left out the stock washer and never installed the spacer...while I even saw them on the ground during the video...crazy:confused:...not that I'm a wiz...)

5. Let's not forget to put together our pads and calipers.
    51 Truck 761.JPG
    My pads kept falling out of the calipers so I bent down the tabs just enough so they'd hang on. It's a fine line...
    51 Truck 762.JPG
    The pad with the "spring" fits naturally into the hollow puck of the caliper.

Included with the kit are two spring steel "anti rattle" springs. I put some green caliper grease on both and installed them; the larger one behind the inner pad and the tiny one in one of the front cavities of the outer side of the caliper. Sorry, no pix since I forgot, but it should make sense once you get to looking at everything...

Oh, and don't forget to grind off one of the ears of each caliper as indicated in the instructions or you'll end up taking the whole shebang apart once you see where the ears hit...Not that I did that or anything:rolleyes:...OK, so maybe I did...
    Please note where the tab on the caliper they speak of in the directions hits one of the spindle nuts. Do yourself a favor and avoid this...
    51 Truck 768.JPG

6. In the end, it should look kind of like this...
    51 Truck 769.JPG