Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods New Kansas law

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sunbeam, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

"Honest officer, I was just learning to drive a manual transmission. It's so hard to get all these pedals figured out." :D

6-bangertim and 31hotrodguy like this.
  2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I picked up a $550 burn out ticket at the "Rod Run to The End Of The World" cruise in Longbeach, Washington a few years back. Coincidentally, that was the last year I went! Negligent Driving. Put that on your record and see what it does to your insurance premiums. And it wasn't a line loc tire fryer either. Just a chirp at 25 MPH and a couple of cops paid to make sure I didn't come back.

Oh...I still do burnouts!

31hotrodguy likes this.
  3. That's funny seatbelts are not required in a car that didn't come with them in Missouri, but that can still write you for driving or riding without a seat belt. So it will pass safety inspection but you can't legally drive it. ( they overlook it most of the time unless you are stricken with the dumbass).

I think I have been written for about one of everything in Calif. Some of it was the most ridicules crap. One for flowing too close on US 101 in front of the San Francisco Airport, I was in bumper to bumper traffic. Once for crossing against a don't walk where El Camino real was 6 lanes wide (4 lanes and two turn lanes) I almost made it was in the middle of the last lane when the don't walk popped up. Once for pulling off on the left shoulder I was on a one way street, I was originally stopped for a dim tail light @ mid day on a sunny day. I think it had to do with the cut of my cloths or the length of my hair. LOL

Never for spinning my tires though.

scrubby2009 likes this.
  4. The HAMB.
    "Spreading the hot rod (meaning fast,loud, raw brute powered cars) gospel to well mannered,clean cut,model law abiding citizens,nerds and pussies around world"

low-n-slo54 and scrubby2009 like this.
  5. Kansas is real bad about jumping on new laws then they slack off.
    Small town Kansas is even worse than small town Missouri. They got an eye protection law for bikes. No helmet law but an eye protection law. Sitting at a light in Chanute something in eye drop sun glasses and rub eye. Ticket evidently you have to park to dig a gnat out of your eye.

And oddball laws (Missouri has some so I can say that) in the '70s they were trying to get a seat belt law for motorcycles and it almost passed. No seat belt law for cars yet though.

They had the click it or ticket signs on the interstate about 5 years before they had a seat belt law. I wonder how many tickets got written and paid on that one. LOL

I think that what is probably happening is a rewording of an existing law and it will probably not be a big deal at all unless they just get a hard on for ya or you are from out of town.

6. Corvette Fever

Corvette Fever
    from Michigan

Royal Oak Michigan a suburb north of Detroit just loves to mess with hot rods all summer long on Woodward Ave (the home of the Dream Cruise the biggest car event in the country. They have no mercy for anyone out cruising in their town and will write you for any infraction they can come up with......

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. My experience bike or hot rod in the last 15 or so years has been stellar believe it or not. I think they look at me like an old dude in an old car. I have been pulled over or followed for silly shit like can I look under your hood or what'll that thing actually do in a pinch.

I was working on the Raven's roadster a couple summers back, getting ready for the Drags. A local actually pulled up and asked if he could come in the driveway. I said, "Well I aint gonna stand here and shout." He walked over checked the little car out and said, "You guys goin to that drag race this weekend?" I said, "Yep" he asked me if I would bring him a time slip. I brought him a time slip, what ya gonna do?

29bowtie likes this.
  8. Back in Belmont Shore Cal in the 50's the dimwit gave me a ticket for not having a headlight on my Harley even tho it was parked @ gas station & I was on the pay phone. I had the two driving lights but that did not matter, Another time I got a ticket for having a for sale sign on it while parked on the street . Just imagine what I would have gotten had it been on the side walk. They would pull me over in my 55 vette even if I was at a traffic signal just to check me out for license & insurance. I was 24 years old & had already been in the Korea conflict .

31hotrodguy likes this.
  9. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Talk about being rough on laws to a "T". The military! Man! As an M.P., we have to enforce everything on the books for federal and state. And if the Commanding General got a wild hair up his ass, he could direct us to enforce anything he deemed as a "safety violation." Hot rods not requiring seat belts. A clutch popping by accident. One MPH over the posted speed limit. Chirped tires. People riding in the rumble seat. An "exposed" fuel tank on a hot rod. Sometimes the Provost Marshall would do a ride along just to see of we were enforcing the "stupid shit." Yes, they are general safety concerns but come on.

Most of the time we would roll our eyes during the guard mounts/ line ups, and ignore the lame orders while on patrol.

10. I'm not worried, I'm reformed! ;-D

j-jock and 31hotrodguy like this.
  11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Lay rubber here in Atwater. I 'slipped my oversize tires' leaving a parking lot weeks ago, a female local stopped me. She started in with, "You're old enough to know better, that was 'exhibition of speed'."
    I pleaded 'Toxic Masculinity', "couldn't help it!" She gave a wry grin, said "Be careful next time..."
    I idled off, keeping my right foot off the big Moon go pedal...

12. hudson48

hudson48

Come to Australia. We have "Hooning Laws". Includes burnouts and other offences, speeding,street racing and loud music. Penalties are $$$ plus points and the car confiscated for different time periods depending on your record. The worst is for a repeat offender who has the car crushed in extreme circumstances. And the confiscation and crushing can be a car not owned by you. You borrow your fathers car and do it and he loses his car.

deadbeat likes this.
  13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

violation: "PARKED WITH INTENT TO SELL" .... I got one of those parked in front of my apartment. the intent was to keep a bunch of people from making a used car lot on the corner, though it is used to hassle people in modified cars

14. You ought to come to the Alva, OK "Big Cruise and Car Show" in September.
    They let you do it right in front of the Court House all week end long!
    Burn out contest, Go and Whoa contest, 150 ft. street drags on Sunday.
    And it's all FREE!
    https://www.bigcruiseandcarshow.com/home.html

IMG_6775.JPG

31hotrodguy likes this.
  15. sunbeam

sunbeam

Been there done that

Montana1 likes this.
  16. trollst

trollst

It's called stunting here in B.C., and yes, I been caught stunting. Usually it's cops having a slow day.

17. Butch M

Butch M

I would never do that

18. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

I guess drifting contests are rare in Kansas.

19. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

In IL. it was called "Exhibition of horsepower" or what ever else the "Blue meanies" wanted to call it. Nothing but a hassle ticket. Always got thrown out in court. They knew you had to go to court, so it screwed a day of work.

20. wackdaddy

wackdaddy

Wouldn't be cool if you could buy the ticket / voucher in advance (like hunting/fishing tags) so you could use them when needed?? Possibly a discount of 20% if you buy in volume ( 5 burnouts or more). Then when you get pulled over ... you just rip a voucher off and hand it over to johnny law. Maybe if you are feeling extra rowdy, give him two vouchers so you will be covered for the second burnout as you leave.
    Ooops ... just woke up. Must have been dreamin'

21. aircap

aircap

Yeah, true. I asked you once at a car show to do a big smoky burnout, and you just smiled....

22. I collected four tickets in the summer of '69 in my '57 Chevy in Sioux Falls, South Dakota . One was for "Exhibition Driving" for burning the tires as I left a gas station and it cost me $40, big money back then. The cop ran out in the street in front of me to stop me, good thing my brakes worked or I'd still be in jail. I just about lost my license that year, but what a summer to remember!

23. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Buncha squares... Most of us know how to handle a car, it's the dang teenagers that'll get fined. My old Flathead can't burn Nuthin' but oil, so I'll have to build a REAL flatty and light those tires up.

Montana1 likes this.
  24. This is bullshit.
    Because chicks love it when guys peel out.
    Debbie said so.
    [​IMG]

25. I am sure most of us have done it but, I hate it when people with special interest cars can't or don't behave themselves.
    Someone mentioned that it was mostly a "ricer" thing, by me there is a kid with a lifted 4X4 diesel who can't pull on to the road without lighting the tires and blowing black smoke. As well as a man in his mid forties with some kind of Tech-NO who does doughnuts in the town square any time day or night!
    The problem is the general public does not see the difference between tuners, lifted trucks, or Traditional hot rods or see that there are a few "Dumbass Punks" or middle aged men who never grew up.
    To most people all old, high performance, special interest cars get lumped in together and a couple bad apples cause an uproar and bring heat down on the whole hobby/lifestlye

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    6-bangertim and lurker mick like this.
  26. RAR1947

RAR1947
    from Minnesota

27. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Was she Hawt?? Maybe she wanted to take you in "for further questioning" IYKWIMAITTYD

28. XXL__

XXL__

Had a similar laundry list I went to court over. Pre-trial, I went over to the prosecutor's table and offered to simplify things by acknowledging I was not wearing a seatbelt and that I didn't have side mirrors on the vehicle if he would drop the rest of the complaint. He agreed. At court, he stated our agreement to the judge. Judge then asked me to respond to the two remaining items. I then said that I was not wearing a seatbelt, which was not installed, nor required by law in my vintage vehicle, and that I only have 'one rearward facing mirror,' which is prescribed in state law. He snorted a laugh, then said "we're done here." Zing.

46international and 6-bangertim like this.
  29. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

Hey sir (I bought these tires and I think I should be able to do what I want to do to them..DIPSHIT) LOL

Montana1 likes this.
  30. k9racer

k9racer

I had a cop tell me he heard me spinning my tires when shifting into 2 nd gear on a old truck and I then demonstrated it was a fan belt making all the noise . Then I pointed out truck had dual wheels and a stock wore out 6 cyl engine. He still claimed I spun tires. But then to as Dr J said "Power is a very dangerous thing"