Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How often do you drive your hot rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Several of us get together and eat lunch on Thursdays and one of the subjects was just how much do you drive your hot rod?

It just so happened I was driving my old beater & Gary was driving his off topic rear wheel drive custom probe.

Back in the 70's & 80's all we owned was a 30 Model A pickup & a 40 Ford sedan so we drove them daily as time passed I sold them and started new projects and bought a couple of daily drivers.

I still get a kick out of driving the hot rods as much as I can and will drive the old sedan to work or the parts store or just because I want to,the weather is not a deterrent unless there is snow or ice in the forecast,rain or shine doesn't matter.

If I average it out I drive one of the hot rods at least 3 days a week. HRP

JUNK ROD, 61Cruiser, wicarnut and 2 others like this.
  2. I have not been driving anything much lately. When I got a car running it is my daily, but even at that if I got a chance to drive once a week anymore that would be a lot. Really can't leave the house much unless someone else is here.

61Cruiser, Stogy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Not as much as I would like to. I often walk by them on the way to the shop to work on cars or home projects and think how nice it would be to just drop everything and go for short cruise. During the April to November time frame that I drive my cars I would say I get to drive them one to three times a week.
    We have a lot of sand and anti ice spray on the roads around here all winter, not to mention snow and ice.

61Cruiser, 28Hud, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  4. e z i

e z i

Everyday. Even if there's snow on the ground. (I sit in it in the shop and make flathead sounds, and row it through the gears).....

5. I sometimes forget that everyone doesn't experience some occasional nice weather during the winter where the roads are not covered with snow/salt. HRP

61Cruiser, 28Hud, 3030 and 1 other person like this.
  6. ENUF 41

ENUF 41

3-4 times a week

Russell34, Stogy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. I drive my Dodge weekly spring to late fall. Winter is projects and upgrades. Right now I'm converting the brakes from a single cylinder under the floor, to a dual master cylinder mounted on the fire wall. Next is prep and paint. New door poppers etc...

8. Not as often as I'd like. That's for sure.

Stogy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  9. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

I like to drive my 41 as much as possible. I'll usually take it to work on Fridays and then to a local show after. During the week I will drive it in the evening and then usually on the weekends to run errands.

10. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Once a week if I am lucky. In the winter I can go a month w/o driving it due to inclement weather. My commute to work is on busy interstates, where I am lucky to arrive alive in a modern car, never mind a 31A with all the early 1950s safety features and flathead.

On weekends and Summer evenings life always seems to get in the way. I can't wait to retire and have more time. About that time is when my health will fail and therein crops up a whole new batch of issues. Ugh!

11. Same here

Ben

61Cruiser and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  12. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not much this past year due to other issues. Drove my 40 maybe 10 times total. Have been gone alot helping with a family medical situation 250 miles away.

13. gene-koning

gene-koning

Between mid March, or the 1st of April, all the way until the snow flies in Nov, or it gets below 40 degrees, I drive the coupe anywhere and anytime I can. The coupe has heat and defrost but there are enough air leaks it gets pretty uncomfortable when the temp gets below 40 degrees. The car has functioning wipers, and is dry inside, unless there is really a heavy downpour (even then its pretty good). It sits outside at home, so rain is not an issue. The last 5 years we have averaged driving it about 8,000 miles each summer.

I have a beater truck I drive in the winter, and my wife has a modern car she drives, but come weekends, or any excuse we can find (a sunny late afternoon is a good excuse) through the week, you will see us in the coupe. It was built with the intention of driving it as much as I can, which I fully intend to keep doing. Gene

14. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

I drive mine most of the time. The '51 Plm wagon in the winter months, my '37 Chev sedan delivery mostlty in the summer, it has a/c. An O/T beater is available for the times where a car has to sit in a parking lot for hours or when they decide to gravel the roads in case of a snowflake. I am going to enjoy my old cars as much as I can while I still am able.

15. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Like someone else said, not enough.:( 47 is still apart, wife's firebird hasn't been out of the yard since December, heck my pickup hasn't been driven since Jan. Weekends we go in the wife's Expy. I used to drive the 47 or the Firebird a couple of times a week, but since they made us go to the damn elogs about all I drive is the semi, my home time went all to shit. Hoping I can afford to retire in 3 years, tired of not having any home time anymore.

16. currently driving mine only 7 days a week. I tried to squeeze in more days a week but have been very busy.
    will shut it down for a couple of days for an exhaust upgrade, so I will have to drive my late model truck....67 f100
    hopefully I will give the bus a rest after I get the wife's 56 on the road
    then I can concentrate on my next daily driver a 49 GMC

only about 12k this year

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    F&J, 61Cruiser, nunattax and 2 others like this.
  17. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

I'm a slave to the weather report.
    Nothing moves after they put salt down late November until about April 1st.
    I have a '35 Chevy Master and my wifes '50 Chevy pickup I don't mind getting wet if caught but that's about it.
    Everything else has detailed undercarriages so I really hate to have to clean them from rain.
    Shouldn't have spent the money on so much chrome and aluminum. Lol bills phone 038.jpg bills phone 004.jpg

kiwijeff, waxhead, slug and 3 others like this.
  18. deadbeat

deadbeat

As much as I can down here. We are lucky than some as rules and regs in some countries like Australia stop them from everyday use and where I am, our climate doesn't deter us either
    Cheers

19. 2935ford

2935ford

During the winter 0.
    Sumer, everyday.

20. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

With fairly good weather,1 to 3 times a week year around.

21. Not much in rainy weather. Not that the rain per se keeps me off the road, but my 3/4 mile private road that's more dirt than gravel just leaves too much of a mess. Currently it's the 4" of snow...

Decent weather, about once a week. I don't drive my DD much more, being retired and not having the need to go places every day.

22. We have decent weather here in Virginia. So I get to drive them fairly often. Sometimes if we get some snow. I may have to wait few days for the salt and gravel to blow off the roads.I don't mind buying gas if it's for in one of the Hot Rods. I also have A/C, so the wife will go along when it's hot. Because it's always more fun to drive the HOT ROD!!! ;)

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    Stogy, HOTRODPRIMER and 47ragtop like this.
  23. squirrel

squirrel

Not enough. I drove my 59 pickup to the robotics meeting yesterday, and plan to drive the Chevy II today. they seem to only get driven once or twice a week.

24. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

3 times a week average here during good weather.
    That is usually the only time I need to drive as I work in town and walk. I only put 500 miles in my Tacoma last year.
    Did get to take the 37 out for an afternoon this week. Good weather and clean roads allowed it.

25. Frankly, I've had the 36 Ford tudor at the new house since 2013 and have only driven it about it about 10 times. We're on a gravel road and it's black. Now on the other hand, my 36 Chevy truck is brush painted with satin Ruztoleum so I've been driving the shit out of that one. Soon the Ford will move on to a new keeper that has more interest in cleaning than me. Besides I've had the truck so long it's like a conjoined twin. Mitch.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  26. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

I drive mine at least weekly or more depending on the weather.............

27. <-------- drove the sedan ever day this week. :D HRP

28. trollst

trollst

3 seasons, every day.....one season it sits and cries.

29. between the two that I have at least 3 to5 days a week.

30. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

I have 5 that I drive a lot , 29 pickup is used most of those 5 = my grocery getter , also have a 53 Coupe Deville that is going to be #6 when finished , I should sell some of them , kind of Lax about advertising and don't like the negotiating , haggling over prices part of that. Roadster is waiting for better weather. IMG_0375.JPG IMG_0177.JPG 020.JPG

F&J, Gotgas, Lou kriger and 3 others like this.