Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Kev's 54 F100 resurrection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kevinwalshe, Feb 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

A little background: My dads neighbor who has lived down the street from him for 40 years mentioned a truck for sale. He knew a gentleman who passed away a few years ago and is still in contact with his wife. The truck was a City of Newport Beach work truck and the man drove it daily from 54-60, and purchased it from the city and kept it as his own until he passed. Luckily Costa Mesa, CA was a small community back then, when this particular generation purchased their homes when Orange County was populated with orange groves, El Toro Air Base, Santa Ana Airport, Disneyland and a few bars where they would congregate. Well the truck had made it into the hands of the gentleman's son who wanted to fix it where it sat for a few years (he didn't touch it) the wife wanted it back, it sat in her driveway for a few more years and she decided it needed a new home. That's when I found out about it and struck a deal because she said "I want my driveway back and it needs a good home". So here she is in all her glory. It was originally a light blue, then black, then a salmon pink from what I can gather. She called it Pinky. 223 i6, with 3 on the tree.
    IMG_4214.JPG
    On it's way home.
    IMG_4216.JPG

kiwijeff, 40LUV and jnaki like this.
  2. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

So cool. Plans?

3. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Love it !..please don't infest it with a rodent engine!

4. Nice find! Looks really clean, I'd be tempted to drive it as is for a while.

Kanet5 likes this.

5. @kevinwalshe
    I brought this over from the Photoshop thread with your vision of how it might look when compleated as per your request.

greeen.jpg

6. ROCKER77

ROCKER77

I watched the video earlier of "Pinky" running. get that trans out of the cab and back behind the motor and take it for a spin. I like the green and white

7. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

@themoose Thanks man!!! Looks killer!!! I'm thinking of lowering the front 3", the back 5", paint it and drive it. The little 223 runs good (got it fired up today) so I'll drive it like that for a while since funds are not something I have a lot of. The color I'm leaning towards is Skyhaze Green with a white top. I am waiting for the new clutch to show up then I'll get the trans in there, as well as a dual master cylinder. I'm going to drive it as is until I can get it sandblasted, then I'll prime it and do the rust repair on the fenders, cab corners, hood front, and doors. Then paint, glass, and drive the shit out of it like I do with all my cars. :D

ROCKER77 and kiwijeff like this.
  8. wallyringo

wallyringo

good job, looks great.

kevinwalshe and themoose like this.
  9. olskool34

olskool34

Move that front axle forward 1.25 inch, center it in the wheel well. I know you probably did not notice it, but ford pushed the axle back to increase turning radius.

10. Larry T

Larry T

If you squint real hard.

001.JPG

11. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

What's the best way? Lowering springs that address this issue? I want to lower the front 3". I bought a rear axle flip kit/c-notch for the rear which will lower it about 5". Not sure the best/most cost effective way for the front.

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Sorry it's been a year, but:
    To get a good safe drop on this truck, do as I finally did. (after BREAKING one of the Monoleaf kits' springs, 8" back from shackle; 'BOOM!' ...resultant 'surprise' followed...)

Reverse front eyes, drill main and second leaves 1.25" forward to move axle with spring center bolts.
    Flatten front leaves total of 2-3/4", from a template drawn on garage floor. Flatten leaves one at a time on cheap Harbor Freight press, 2" steps for full length on each leaf.
    Replace axle with one from a '57-'60 F100. U bolt holes will have to be moved inward (notched) 1/8" each, '54 spring leaves are 1.75" wide, '57 leaves are 2".
    Drag link needs to be lengthened 1.25" with axle relocation. Spindle arms are fine, don't have to be raised or lowered.
    This will give you a very real 3-3/4" drop, as the axle is 7/8" lower than yours.
    A 4 degree caster wedge each side is advised for positive caster. World of difference on freeway, plus it's just right.

kevinwalshe likes this.
  13. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

No worries @Atwater Mike Would I be able to disassemble the spring and drill through it to move the axle forward 1.25" (relocate the pin)? I may buy the kit from mid-fifty but its really expensive and will set me back for a while. Been looking for a decent press but haven't come across any decent ones for the right price. Is the harbor freight one holding up alright? Not sure about putting a few tons of pressure on anything they make so I'm a little apprehensive. Currently waiting for the wheel cylinders and carb kit to show up.