Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Help Me Loan a Legendary Car to a Museum

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cord Blomquist, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Cord Blomquist

Cord Blomquist

I'm nearly done completing the work on my father's Hupmobile and I'd like to loan it to a museum to give the car a safe place to live until my family decides to sell it. If you didn't see my history of the car previously, there's a long post from March 22, 2017 when my dad was still working on the car.

Do you have recommendations for museums where this car would be a good fit? I'm hoping to find a place where the "Bonneville Hupp" as we call her, would be other 30s vintage race cars. But above all I need a place where lots of folks can see the car, so somewhere that is easily accessible from a major airport, maintains regular hours, and maintains a high standard that attracts real auto enthusiasts and collectors.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations you can give.

IMG_4910.JPG IMG_4911.JPG IMG_4916.JPG IMG_4919.JPG IMG_4923.JPG IMG_4926.JPG

Cooon, WC145, dana barlow and 8 others like this.
  2. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Check out the Gilmore Museum in Hickory Corners Mi. Where are you located. Might help.

3. The Automobile Driving Museum in El Segundo, CA seems to meet your requirements.

Flathead Freddie and jimmy six like this.
  4. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Driving it with your family isn't an option?

5. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

There are worthy Museums all across the Country. You should probably add where you are located, before this Thread gets real long.

6. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

ask Breedlove about his experience loaning a car to a museum.

7. Cord Blomquist

Cord Blomquist

I am in La Crosse, Wisconsin. I am required to sell the car according to my father's will. The money goes into an education fund for all his nine grandchildren (and counting, we hope).

I'm thinking of Barrett-Jackson next year as a place to sell it. In the meantime I can either put it in a garage where no one can see it or I can put it in a museum where people can learn about the car and potential buyers can see it easily.

I can't believe the Breedlove experience is anything close to typical.

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM likes this.
  8. Cord Blomquist

Cord Blomquist

I've already contacted Gilmore. Is it an easy drive from Chicago or Detroit?

9. Cord Blomquist

Cord Blomquist

What's the rest of their collection like?

10. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Try Speedway in Lincoln, Nebraska. Excellent place, real busy. Has a lot of race cars. And fairly close to you. Bones

11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yup the American museum of speed- the speedway museum- in lincoln in world class and chock full of historic race cars and hot rods. Amazing company for your car to be in should that be the direction you go

lothiandon1940 and Clay Belt like this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Cord Blomquist...such a fantastic story and car....Nothing to offer but congratulations and hope for things to fall in place for your Fathers Racer/Hotrod...

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  13. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Volo auto museum?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volo_Auto_Museum

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

trulyvintage likes this.
  14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Outside of being within a reasonable distance I'd think picking one that would best display and honor the car and it's history would be wise. Some might be happy to have it but stick it in a back corner pretty much forgotten and hidden.
    Other than that I'd consider planning on what auction I was going to put it in, then take it to a few major shows in the region and display it and let the folks enjoy it and it's history.
    I'd say getting it listed for the auction early and getting all of the pre auction mention plus a good sales hour might mean more to the kids education fund than people seeing it in a museum. Folks who have the want for something like that need to know in advance that it will be there.

15. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, Cord;
    Very nice car.
    I'd bet the Studebakers Drivers Club museum in South Bend would be happy to be temp caretakers. Esp since the re seems to be more than a few brushes w/Stude-related people/things/events.
    I can help you out w/a contact there, if you're interested.
    BTW; any more pics? I do love late20's->early30's boattails. I did check the other thread, but maybe some more/better detail pics, incl engine, interior, n chassis?
    TIA.
    Marcus...

16. clem

clem

Beautiful car.

17. Most museums will only take a car for a minimum of a year - you have to leave it there under agreement.

Your bottom line of selling the car conflicts with your desire to have the car seen by the public at large.

You won’t generate publicity for prospective Buyers by putting it in a museum - you will generate interest & probably drive up the price by entering it in car shows - but that takes time & money.

An auction is not the way to go - unless your car has a significant & relevant name of builder and/or ownership attached to it that is recognized and appreciated by the bidding crowd - it will go unnoticed and under appreciated .

You pay to put a car in an auction.

Probably the most money for the car can be had by going the car show route & hoping buzz generates interest from a tv show to add exposure.

Jim

18. Truly Vintage has a valid point about getting it out there. Bring it to Hershey PA in the fall. That show/swap is still strong and your car fits the venue.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  19. oldolds

oldolds

A hard thing to do, sell that car after doing all that work and not enjoying the the finished product.
    As to following you fathers wishes. If you wanted to keep the car there should be a workaround if you can afford it. Have the car appraised, buy it for that price. You could buy it at the auction as well. That would cost you more and not give the family more. Auction fees are more than appraiser fees.
    You never know where the auction can go. What is the appeal of a modified Hupp to the auction crowd that day, even with documentation? If you watch cars like that at auction often times they are put into a few auctions to see where the baseline price is on it. That is why you sometimes read that a car brought more or less at a previous auction.

20. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Gilmore is about 15 miles NE of Kalamazoo Michigan.

22. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

Gilmore museum for sure. It is basically in between Chicago and Detroit. Just a bit north off of I-94. They get a lot of traffic, especially in the spring, summer and fall seasons. During the summer, they have a lot of shows that draw major and serious collectors such as the Classic Car Club of America event, Pierce Arrow, Lincoln, etc. I think it is the best museum in the USA.

nobrakesneeded likes this.
  23. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I don't know what the requirements are for "donating" a car to a museum, but aren't you are asking a museum to basically store your car until you decide to sell it. I would think there is a difference between donating and storing a car.

nobrakesneeded likes this.
  24. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Donating is akin to selling it, they get the car and since the way a museum is registered, they will issue an appraise value for a tax deduction. Now they own the car and can do whatever they want with it. A friend who worked at the Peterson, says that there is a slew of very nice cars in the basement that have been neglected over the years. Make a portfolio and send to all the Museums and take the best offer

25. greybeard360

greybeard360

26. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

That’s an amazing car! Your father did a superb job of getting it to look it’s best. I hope you found a good home for it.

27. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey @Cord Blomquist

After reading all of the material that is posted on this car of your fathers, from this thread and the other thread as well, in my opinion, as suggested by @greybeard360 , indeed, approach Jay Leno about selling it to him.

As cool as that car is, and considering its history, if Leno owned it, it would be well taken care of and most importantly, it would get driven.

If parts break on it, he has a great staff that can fix it or fabricate parts for it.

By it being driven by Leno in one of his videos, it would really be seen by a lot of people world wide, that often watch his channel.

Contacting Bruce Meyer, who is also another well known car collector, that could take good care of the car, is another avenue of possibility to consider.

Thanks for posting and sharing the information on this very cool Hupmobile.

28. clem

clem

4&1/2 years have passed by, - I wonder what original poster decided………..

X38 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  29. From a post by the OP in another thread on May 25 2018:

clem and trulyvintage like this.
  30. Rj27buick

Rj27buick

Maybe try the Revs Institute in Naples, Fl (hopefully not affected by recent storm) - their museum is packed full of racing heritage vehicles. With your complete story and documentation they might be interested. thanks for sharing a very cool story!