Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Why Is My 315 Dodge Truck Hemi Blue?!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dirt McGirt, Feb 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt

I bought what I was told to be a '58 325 Dodge Hemi for my 29 Model A build. When it showed up, I soon discovered it's a '59 315 truck hemi. Now the odd thing that I cannot seem to determine is why it is blue? It doesn't have any other colors under it and it appears to be a virgin engine (stock bore with a bit of wear) so I'm fairly confident it's not a rebuild and re-spray. The timing chain cover appears to have been replaced with an orange or red part, but aside from that every part of this thing is blue. Top to bottom. It's reletively clean internally and still feels tight but I'm afraid it's fairly anemic being a truck engine so it'll need some love to poke it and raise the compression. I'd like at least 250 hp and it's rated for 175 so I'm not too far off. Anyway, why the heck is this thing blue? I cannot seem to find the answer to this ANYWHERE on line, or in any of the deepest parts of baby hemi specialty sites. I've been really trying to figure this out before wasting anyone's time here but I feel as though I just can't figure this out. To clarify- I'm not just guessing what this engine is. The stamped number at the front of the block was easily read and determined to be a 1959 Dodge Truck 315. The reason the fella I bought it from assumed it was a 325 was because the casting number is the same for both. I unfortunately had to learn the hard way that the proper number to identify these is not the casting number. Oh well, it's still desirable to me so I'll live with it.
    Anyway, thanks in advance. Cheers!

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I have no idea why your engine has been painted blue, but think it probably doesn’t matter very much. The good news is, it’s a 315 hemi and suitable for performance improvements.

Being truck sourced, it very well may have sodium filled valve stems (cools valve stems) which are, as I recall, 7/16” stem diameter vs the 3/8” normally used in passenger car models. Should you want to change that, the guides and valves can be replaced. The cam can be reground to a better performance profile.

‘56 D-500 315 engines were rated around 285 hp as I recall, so getting 250 + hp should be easily in reach by changing pistons, the cam upgrades mentioned above and good ignition and induction systems. Hemis of any type are not cheap to build, but the smaller sized Dodge version with the larger displacements (315/325) are a nice package and a 100 lbs lighter than a Chrysler.

The 315 and 325 engines are a higher deck height than 241/270. Heads interchange, but not intake manifolds. However, intakes from the polyhead 315/325 do fit, so finding a performance manifold is a bit easier.

73RR and TR Waters on the H.A.M.B. are two good forum resources as well as Hot Hemi Heads in North Carolina.

Ray

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  3. 73RR

73RR

Thanks for the nod RAY.

To the OP...why is the color so important?
    As to improving the output, Ray mentiones cam, ignition, intake and compression. All spot-on. Yes, the truck engines are low c/r units, usually in the 7.5 range. Since you are not wanting a mega hp package then fixes are easy, in relative terms. If you are on a budget then rebuild the heads as-is. If you have damaged valves then replacing the set may be tolerable, but if the valves are servicable then use them. Mopar electronic ignition from an LA is as easy as a new intermediate shaft and gear assembly. Do not regrind the cam until you get the c.r up to at least 9:1. How much wear in the bores? Out of round? Taper? If these are anywhere near the factory listed tolerances then maybe you could get by just replacing the pistons with pass car pieces. If the holes are out of spec then a bore job is next. Although the oem pass car c/r is listed at 9.25:1 do not expect to get that in the currently offered cast slugs. If you want to step-up to forgings then 10:1 has been my go-to number for over 30 years. With more c/r then cutting the cam is straight forward. There are cam grinders just about everywhere, some even know what they are doing...:p With a cut cam you will have to step-up to either adjustable rocker or adjustable pushrods.

Dirt McGirt likes this.
  4. It's his first post....that's why it's soooo important.....

73RR likes this.

5. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a Hemi cam-regrinder from Hell named Chris Nielson, cell 801-451-7745. Probably THE man for early Hemi cams, PERIOD !

Dirt McGirt likes this.
  6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Sad to say, but a post in recent months indicated Chris Nielson was either very ill or worse. I hope it was not entirely accurate as Chris is well regarded among H.A.M.B. members. I was fortunate to have had a couple of cams reground by Chris several years ago.

Perhaps someone who is close to Chris can update us on the circumstances.

Ray

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  7. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

What about shaving the heads to boost CR?

8. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

Back in the 70's when our local parts house had an amazing selection of factory color engine paints, there was a Chrysler dark blue that was very popular for years and years. Quite a bit darker than Ford blue, my dad used to drive me crazy because every time we worked on a Ford engine and wanted to paint it he would come home with the Chrysler blue!

9. What color is a 58-9 Dodge truck engine supposed to be? I have a 315 hemi out of a 58 pick-up, guess what, it's dark blue. Don't know much about its history, but was told it was a tired original

Dirt McGirt likes this.
  10. George

George

I referred someone to Chris for a cam recently & he checked & was told that Chris has passed.

11. George

George

One site lists it @ 7.6, but advertised C/R can be very optimistic.

12. 73RR

73RR

13. 73RR

73RR

...we cut cams...

14. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Gee, I thought his Hemi was just sad when I saw the Heading on the post.
    But that's just how I see things sometimes!
    KK

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  15. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

I think that dark blue is correct, but I'm no Mopar expert.

16. upspirate

upspirate

Chris craft used blue paint on their marine engines.....some others also? I know they used hemi's in some marine conversions

17. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt

Thanks for all the replies, folks! Some great info here and I'm very sorry to hear a well respected fellow enthusiast has passed on :-(
    The color means nothing to me, I was just curious as to why I couldn't find any info on a blue hemi and wondered if it was a clue as to what it possibly was originally installed in.
    Moving forward as part of the rebuild process, my rebuilder already mentioned having a line on a custom piston manufacturer so I believe this will be the route I take to bump it up to 10:1, as mentioned here being successful. My only other real concern are the valve seats and modern unleaded fuel. I'm happy with the 2bbl intake as I'll be using Holley's new 2bbl sniper kit (I know, hot rod sacrilege). Sorry if that offends anyone but after having installed F.I. kits on plenty of customers cars and seeing the results, I can't bring myself to bolt carbs on anything street driven anymore. They're sooooo nice haha! Carbs are still fun and work great at WOT but I'm building my car to drive every single day, rain or shine. So reliability it is. Now that we have that outta the way, thanks again for the help, and I look forward to getting to know some of you and sharing stories etc. I'll try to upload a few pics I took of the engine. Cheers!

Attached Files:

18. George

George

Were it is a truck hemi it may have hardend valves & seats.

19. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt

Oh really? That would be awesome actually. I guess I'll find out once this thing goes to the machine shop!

20. rooman

rooman

21. If it is blue it is probably because someone painted it blue. Does it say Red Ram on the rocker covers? If it does not then it may have been a stationary motor or it has been painted.

But nice score no matter what color it is.

Dirt McGirt likes this.
  22. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt

Actually Rooman I've read every single one of your links before I posted here and not once does anyone mention any hemi in blue. One person mentioned a blue water pump. Thanks for trying to help though!
    PorkNBeaner, in order for someone to have taken the block down to bare metal just to change the color without rebuilding the engine- they'd have to be pretty bored haha! Unfortunately the valve covers are plain Jane with no markings. I don't believe it was a stationary engine due to the "M8D6" stamp at the front of the block but who knows, it could've been leftover stock that was sold off for industrial use instead of being actually installed in a truck. It's sorta plausible too considering the timing cover is red instead of blue and apparently industrial hemi's had unusable timing covers for automotive use. Regardless, I agree that it's a decent score and I'm excited to toss it into my model a! I certainly won't be keeping it blue. Too ugly haha!!

23. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

I had the same exact experience, But with a Chevy 265 ci., The question was in my case, I had a Yellow SBC., I had never seen nor heard of a factory yellow small block, did research, Come to find out the 5100 truck series that that Engine came in... The Factory color was bright yellow!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    Clay Belt likes this.
  24. In the '70s I was working at a Bay Area Buick dealership. we did a warranty motor on a Buick and a Chevy both came raw. I don't know if that was a fluke or not.

This probably has no bearing on the mystery wrong color motors but it is an experience that I have had.

In a side not I like the Red Ram for a hot rod, its like an SBC ( no offense intended) they just fit easier than the behemoth.

Back to color, the wife and I were digging around for a wire harness for an OT Power wagon back in the '90s. The guy that owned the yard said, so you are MOPAR people I got something that you would like to see and took us in a shed. There on a stand was a 2x4 hemi that he had pulled from a '58 Dodge dump truck, it was Hemi Orange. I figured it was odd because I don't think that hemi orange was invented yet and it was a 2x4 motor, the numbers came back red ram. I have got to guess and this is just a guess that the motor had been screwed with. ;)

brad2v likes this.
  25. George

George

My understanding is...if the heads have seats they are hardend.

26. George

George

At least on the Chr Ind hemis the timing covers are the same as the early 51-4 331s, just with more clutter. Don't know on the Dodges.

27. kursplat

kursplat

A: with Ma Mopar it's just as likely they ran out of whatever engine paint and used the blue to keep things moving.
    B: what color are you going to paint it? :)

28. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt

I'm torn haha! I like the red ram look, but I also like the silver and black hemi's too.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. George

George

mine is black.

30. kursplat

kursplat

start a poll. i vote Red Ram