Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Starting a sitting car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Clay Belt, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

Friend of mine found a 1985 Oldsmobile 88 for cheap (think scrapyard cheap) that he wants to use the Olds 307 and 4 speed automatic transmission from in a 1952 Chevrolet pickup. Only problem is, the car is 3 hours away, it hasn't driven in 3 years due to a parasitical electrical issue, he doesn't want to pay towing on the engine for his budget build, and we don't have the capability to pull the engine and transmission there. Which leads to the current plan:

Drive it home.

Not the sanest idea, I will admit, but it seems lucrative. I have until Sunday to figure out how to make it work. What I want to know is,

1. Any advice before we try to fire up the engine? I know we should check if it's seized, but beyond that I could use some recommendations on things to check/replace.

2. How would I want to tackle the old gas issue? Thinking a gravity-fed fuel line from a gas can, but carburetor will still be an issue. Bringing a spare one I have with me as a precaution, but I have never had to prime a completely empty carburetor or fuel pump before.

3. What other fluids will I want to change?

2. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Rent a trailer and a truck from U-Haul, Ryder, Penske, or similar rental company!
    Play with it when you get it back to your friends house.
    Better all around.
    KK

3. The first issue is getting it to run. Changing fluids, air in the tires, do the brakes work, and getting past John Law are but a few of the other challenges you will have. I agree with above, drag it home. I think it will be the easiest and quickest way to go.

Clay Belt and olscrounger like this.
  4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Yes,
    Dont even try messing with it beforehand. Especially on the road.
    Rent a pull behind U-haul tow dolly. Theyre cheap and easy

5. Electric fuel pump from a 5 gallon can to the carb. I own a old tow pilot tow bar and have flat towed hundreds of vehicles. but you need to have a heavier tow vehicle than what your towing. Today I have trailers and a wrecker. the best time to do something to avoid john Law is in cold wet weather after dark. They don't like the cold any better than anyone else. they want to stay in the warm dry vehicle.

scott27 and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  6. evintho

evintho

And drive it home for 3 hours on public roads????? Try again. Rent a trailer!!

wvenfield and flatford39 like this.
  7. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

His idea, his money. I'm just along for the ride. That and I expect this will be an epic story when all is said and done.

Terrible80 and Old wolf like this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

modern cars like that have sealed fuel systems, sort of...the tank venting goes through a charcoal canister. They are not as prone to bad gas as older cars. But if you can't tell ahead of time how bad it is, then you might want to cover all eventualities.

But as for things to check...you need something in the cooling system, hopefully it didn't have just water and froze and cracked. The intake gaskets on those things rust away, so hopefully it will hold coolant. you don't need to change fluids to drive it home, just need to make sure there is enough fluid. coolant, oil, transmission fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid, are the main ones. not often that the rear end would leak dry. Be prepared to refill anything that is low.

you need to bring fresh gas.

You need a battery. One in good condition is helpful, since you'll be cranking it a while to get it running, most likely.

The fuel pump might die, after sitting then being used again. New one is cheap, and he will probably need one anyways.

funny, I looked at an 88 Caddy this week with the 307 olds motor and 200-4r, I was thinking i ought to get it for a driveline swap, in case I can't get the 322 in the LaSalle working.

Clay Belt and Old wolf like this.
  9. Back in 1999 I bought a 2ton 1948 dodge pilot house truck for $100 at the Verkler Auction At Black Rock Ar. It was too big for my trailer and too heavy to flat tow. The engine wasn't stuck. It still had anti freeze. So Sunday while the cops where at church. I started that Zombie up cut the trees growing up thru the frame and drove it home Via the back roads. No brakes just the emergency brake. went 20 MPH. The flat spotted tires bounced too much above twenty. Drove it thirty miles and it hadn't ran in 35 years. Did the same thing with a 70 international dump truck a couple of years ago. I do buy a liability insurance policy cost $50 for a three month policy.

scott27 likes this.
  10. We installed a 307 roller cam engine and automatic in my eldest sons 70 chevelle. Made a great driver .

11. I know this guy bought a old airplane at a estate sale. It had been setting and was twenty years since a annual. there was a private runway. And everyone was stating how the wings would need removed and it would need trailered out of there. Not so him and I put on new tires. new battery. cleaned both fuel tanks and carbs. made certain both mags where firing. I spun the prop and it started after about ten trys. We shut off one mag and switched to the other . then did the same with the fuel tanks. And flew that airplane out of there. No flight plan. neither of us AP mechanics. Landed it in a river bottom hay field on a friends farm. We had marked out a landing strip and installed a wind sock. Great fun.

BJR, 283john and scott27 like this.
  12. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

Sounds like I am not the only one who enjoys an epic story

Old wolf likes this.
  13. leon bee

leon bee

Make sure you do it when all the stores are open.

Chrisbcritter likes this.
  14. badvolvo

badvolvo

Sounds much like my younger days. load up all your goodies, go for it, and expect that epic story! The only memorable trips are the ones you overcome the difficulties! Remember the time we.........

Old wolf and Clay Belt like this.
  15. Something else to consider is the potential financial liability of driving a car 3 hours on public roads with no license, inspection sticker or insurance coverage. What happens if something goes wrong (I know....the car has been sitting for 3 years, so what could possibly go wrong), and you get involved in an accident and cause property damage or injury to an innocent party? Could cost a LOT more than renting a U-HAUL tow dolly or trailer.

16. mike bowling

mike bowling

I'd borrow a trailer from one of my car buddies, OR have them drive to pick it up, then beer and pizza on you afterwards. One hand washes the other, my friend. The barter system still works.

17. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

Wouldn't be the first one of these trips. Profile photo was one. Never broke 25 on the way home from Jacksonville, had the family minivan with hazards behind us

Old wolf likes this.
  18. Ghost28

Ghost28

Check all the fluids including the rear grease. even if you flat towing it. I had a rear end freeze up on a 57 chevy while tow roping it. What a wild ride that was.

Clay Belt likes this.
  19. RMONTY

RMONTY

If not concerned for your own safety, how about being considerate of other people's safety. THAT is the correct way to approach the situation. Is a driveline for a 1952 pickup worth the potential of accident and/or injury or possibly worse? Just sayin......find a trailer and do the responsible thing.

i.rant likes this.
  20. squirrel

squirrel

bunch of girls here, eh? :)

21. exterminator

exterminator

LOL

Clay Belt and Old wolf like this.
  22. I once was pulling a engine less 57 ford car behind a 46 ford dual wheel flatbed 1 and 1/2 ton truck. the three guys in the car had tied a long nylon rope that came off of a tug boat. That rope was two inches in diameter. They would hold the brakes and strech out that rope. then let off and slingshot foreward. I was probably doing about thirty five MPH. and after one of those slingshot attempts the guy steering somehow missed the brake pedal. that 57 ford came under the bed and bounced the front bumper off the dual tires. broke the windsheld. and those idiots all had smashed faces and bloody noses. I was 16 at the time and really thought it was funny. I had told them to stop but they didn't listen. I wasn't my car but I still made them pay for the tow.

23. I’ve done “stupid” stuff like this when I was younger.

Helped a buddy bring home an o/t Alfa I was behind as the “screen car” it was so rotten that we got about 45 minutes into the drive and he stopped at a light and the car twitched..... then vibrated ..... shook a little ..... then completely collapsed around him !!! The floors and unibody were so rotted out it just collapsed around the sun frames!! Somehow got it onto a side street then trailered it home.

My point is we all do this kind of stuff, if it was me, now I would not for the cost of a u-haul car Dollie or trailer it ‘aint Worth the hassle of getting stopped, broke down or worse.

But if your set on having fun then what I would do is bring a good battery with you and a few gallons of high test gas and some starting fluid

Check all the fluids, top em off
    Get it running and yard drive it or around the block .... something small and relatively safe BEFORE you hit surface streets would suck a duck to loose or not have brakes. And I know you know but keep it slow, and avoid busy streets

Let us know what you do and how it goes

Sounds fun, nuts but fun

Clay Belt likes this.
  24. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

I certainly will let you know how it goes.

25. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

The idea is just plain STUPID. That's the only thing to say about it.

26. Ok in 1979 during the winter there was a 66 chevelle advertised in the local trading post paper $75. I had to work so I had my wife go check it out the next day. and she bought it. 66 chevell 4 door HTP 327 powerglide. the radiator and windshield was missing. otherwise a really nice car good paint and Interior. So the next sunday we go to drag it home. the wife and my two older sons. took a 66 ford F600 to drag it home. its really cold down in the teens. So Debbie get's in the chevelle wearing my coveralls and a mororcycle helmet. and I drag the car home. When we slowed down as we neared home. Debbie stepped out and the chevelle did the same thing as that 57 ford only there wasn't any windshield to break. ruined a perfect front clip. She was cold and mad and gave me that penis shriveling look that women have. I knew better that to say a word.

27. squirrel

squirrel

I'm not suggesting doing anything stupid....but sheesh, it's not a big deal to get a car running and drive it. First you make sure everything works, of course! like brakes, steering, no serious leaks, tires hold air, they are not ready to explode, etc.

57 Fargo and Old wolf like this.
  28. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Take an epic trip with the truck after your after engine is installed and working right, everything is safe and legal on the truck. You will enjoy the cruise without sweating and your ass puckered;)

29. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

There are two ways of thinking. Theory and practical. Practical (as in using a trailer ) will get you further down the road ;) And like RMONTY posted, think about others first.

30. its not a lot different from when I was a kid I would go to the car auction with a local dealer. He would buy running vehicles of unknown condition. and we put on a set of dealer plates and drove them back home. once a 65 mustang I was driving the gas tank fell out. Its the trunk floor. and the rear springs where sticking up thru the trunk. It was a rusty bondo heap. but had a new trunk mat!

Clay Belt likes this.