Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Selling A Home Built Hot Rod - What's My Liability?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lakeroadster, Feb 22, 2018.

1. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

We want to sell our Model T Roadster Pickup but we are curious what the liability issues are?

Since I built the car myself (fabricated the frame, rear suspension, body mod's, newer drive train, etc.) what is my liability if the new owner has some issue with the car or wrecks the car and gets injured?

27FordRoadsterPickupJune2007.jpg 100_1470.jpg 000_0031.jpg 000_0032.jpg

2. alchemy

alchemy

You are selling a used car "as is", right? You might want to check your local DOT website, maybe they have the rules/laws about selling used cars in your state.

3. oldolds

oldolds

When the federal government made used car dealers put this as-is stickers in the window of used cars they added some language to the law. All private car sales are as-is. No matter what is verbally stated between the parties involved. Don't write anything down. That being said. You can sue anyone for just about anything.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

always sold/bought rides - as is, no warranty, no guarantees - buyer beware - buy with eyes wide open - have bought a ride or two with stars in my eyes and learned the hard way that I should have inspected stuff better - different if Seller misrepresents the condition as being a certain level of quality and it is not - guess that in certain situations and a buyer is injured, etc a possible law suit could come up

loudbang and mike bowling like this.

5. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Neat truck, save for the grill that has done something bad to my eyes! Could be permanent. What address should my lawyers serve the papers?

Chris

dan31, Deucedreamer, The37Kid and 8 others like this.
  6. southcross2631

southcross2631

I have never had an issue with selling a fabricated frame car. I sell it as is where is and type up a simple form that they accept the car as is I sign it they sign it and we are good to go.
    Nice ride by the way ,it looks really well built.

indyjps and lakeroadster like this.
  7. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

A question for your lawyer.

H380 likes this.
  8. steves29

steves29

I love it. Could have maybe painted it and 32 shell for the value of that grill. But to each their own. NICE.

Malcolm and lakeroadster like this.
  9. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You forgot to mention the Greyhound.

10. trollst

trollst

Got no faith in your own work? If it's titled right, inspected and licensed properly, then it's a used car like every other used car, just don't sell it to a nimrod you get a bad feeling about.

11. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This, right here! I see some woman is suing McDonald's again for serving hot coffee. I have found from bitter experience that the court system can make big mistakes when dealing with subjects they don't understand.

46international likes this.
  12. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

Had a young kid ask me if my car was a "Jaguar".... took me a few minutes to understand why.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  13. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

"It's all fun and games until someone puts out an eye", we've all heard that one. In this case when that happens the lawyers come out and greed rears it's ugly head. What is often done in the experimental aircraft world is stating on the bill of sale "as is" and for parts only. Not sure if that would apply in the case of a car. I know a fellow who regularly sells stuff that is dangerous when parked and I don't think he has been sued, maybe punched a few times though. That is a nice looking car, I think you will be OK. Good luck.

Clay Belt, oldrelics and lakeroadster like this.
  14. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

What does your title state about the car? Bones

15. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

Title is as Henry intended.. 1927 Ford with applicable S/N

16. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

In my opinion, Your are safe. If your title said “home built” might be more of a problem. And.....

I worked as a lawyer for three years one summer in Arkansas!
    Bones

Clay Belt, Jugornot and lakeroadster like this.
  17. alchemy

alchemy

Remove the shift knob and sell it as a "project". Then you are not responsible for selling a driveable vehicle.

Clay Belt and Texas Webb like this.
  18. mike bowling

mike bowling

Don't worry, be happy. Looks like a well thought out build to me. Give it a once over to check things out and let the new guy figure the rest out. Most people that get into hot rods understand the need for constant tinkering and checking ( "if parts fall off, honk" - one of my favorite stickers). Oh yeah, keep that grille- go stock, it'll still look good and save you a ton of dough. .04 cents worth

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Clay Belt and lakeroadster like this.
  19. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

I worked with a guy who was in his mid 60's that inspected pressure vessels for a living, as a professional, for lets say, Company A and had worked for them for decades. One of his customers asked if he would consider working after hours, inspecting as a consultant, on his own, but not for Company A, directly for the customer.

He took the after hours gig. The customer got sued, the inspector was named in the lawsuit. Since he wasn't working for Company A he had no liability coverage.

He lost his farm, his wife divorced him, lost his professional job. He ended up working for the company he was working at after hours, but for like 1/4th of what he was making as a professional. Basically living paycheck to paycheck.

It broke the guy, not just his wallet, but his spirit.

Nobody wants to be "that guy".

20. Just sell it as is, on the bill of sale!

21. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

For the Clinton's?

22. Spooner Clinton

Spooner Clinton

I'd see about selling it as a "non operable vehicle, for display purposes only". I dunno it that would work but it would be worth checking into. I wouldn't put that in the ad, but on a separate document. If you explained why you did it that way, most gearheads would understand I believe.

23. oj

oj

Did it pass State Inspection and able to be driven on the highway? Well, there you go, it has met applicable standards by a State Inspector.

scrap metal 48 and 61cad like this.
  24. 3 years in one summer.....time machine?:rolleyes:

25. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Naw, they fired me. Kept telling the truth! Bones

Irish Mike, loudbang and Atwater Mike like this.
  26. ..I'd really like that if it had a T or A grilleshell,...once you sell it , it ain't your resonsibility,...if that weren't the case people would be suing everyone after they had any issue with any car...

27. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I believe that is the most beautiful grill on the planet! We’re just not us d to seeing it without fenders beside it. It seems too bold. I like it, thought, it’s a little different... kinda like most of us. Bones

28. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Yeah, "Most of US" don't belong HERE, either.

29. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

As a practical matter, most individuals are "judgment proof".

Yes, it is true in this country they can "sue you for anything", but remember they also as a rule go where the money is. "Deep pocket theory." In this situation greed may work in your favor. They need to clear hundreds of thousands to really get 'em salivatin'. Plus, they aren't guaranteed to win.... So... No offense, but you may not have enough assets to make it worth their while. Relax.

moparjimd60 likes this.