Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Recipe for "Traditional" Model A coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by autoworx1, Feb 20, 2018.

1. autoworx1

autoworx1
    from kansas

I'm hoping to get a 1931 coupe bought in the next month or so. I know that there are hundreds of combinations that are acceptable. I'd like to build a cheat sheet for myself and/or anyone else looking to build a coupe/Tudor that's period correct.

If you could be kind enough to leave a year attached to the part, it might make it easier to search for said items in the classifieds or elsewhere on the web.

Copy and Paste the list below:
    Motor:
    Transmission:
    Frame:
    Spindles:
    Steering box:
    Backing plates:
    Wheels:
    Tires:
    Rear end:
    Front axle:
    Closed or open driveshaft

This list excludes items such as: clutch, brake master cylinder and cosmetic items like headlights, taillights, fenders, hood, pinched, channeled, chopped, etc... for good reason. I was hoping to build a thread that allows guys to go through and pick the major components.

Thank you gentleman!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. 2935ford

2935ford

A suggestion.......Tardel/Bishop book "How to Build a Traditional Ford Hot Rod" puts you a long way in the right direction.

3. autoworx1

autoworx1
    from kansas

Thanks for all your help....I'm completely aware of the book you mention. I'd prefer to get the information from the HAMB.

4. Period correct for what era? Here's a start. Others will fill in the gaps.

Pre-WWII: Hopped-up Banger (4 cylinder), mostly stock chassis & body, Ford or Kelsey-Hays wire wheels.
    Post war to late 50s: Flathead Ford V8, dropped Ford axle & reversed-eye springs, solid steel Ford wheels.
    Late 50's to mid 60's: OHV V8 (Cad, Buick, Chevy, Chrysler, Olds, Pontiac, etc...), steel (maybe chrome, or with full wheel covers) or maybe mag wheels.

If you limit your research to the HAMB, you're constraining yourself to (mostly) second hand information.
    I'd highly recommend researching old magazines and Don Montgomery's well-researched books. He was there.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    moparob, Corsa and missysdad1 like this.

5. autoworx1

autoworx1
    from kansas

Post war. It's the individual items like what year Ford transmission? Steering box years? I understand motors are interchangeable and I'm willing to buy adapters from Wilcap or Bendtsen's. My hope was to get several responses to the list so I could compile a Rolodex of parts. Some of you know what combination just "works". I've built a 1931 Model A truck wrong. I've built a 1932 Chevrolet coupe wrong. Now I have a chopped 1954 BelAir that's cool but not completely HAMB compliant. I don't want to screw this one up.

6. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I would have to agree that you should get the Tardel book, has a lot of basic information. I've built two V8 A's and followed part of this book. I built my own crossmember, used stock Model A pedals, F1 steering. Everyone has their own ideas and most will work, the more information you have the better.

moparob and autoworx1 like this.
  7. Build what you like.

redoxide, Robert J. Palmer and pat59 like this.
  8. missysdad1

missysdad1

In my humble opinion building a car expressly to be "period correct" is a loser. Adopting the "style" of a period is great, but limiting yourself to only parts available during the desired era has a ton of disadantages...if you plan to actually drive your hot rod that is. Good luck with your project, however you decide to build it!

9. Dave Friend

Dave Friend

Hi
    Go through all the builds that there are on the Hamb. Take some ideas from each to your liking and yours. Then build it your way.
    Dave

scrap metal 48 and moparob like this.
  10. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

You’re request is over the top.
    It’s like asking us to reach in our memory bank and give all the information we’ve learned by experience and paste and copy it onto your thread.
    Ask your questions individually here and you really need to read the above books and publications.
    We can’t simply download into your memory bank.
    Read buddy read. It’s all here and everywhere else.
    Rolodex??? Oh my.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  11. autoworx1

autoworx1
    from kansas

Nice post. Thanks a lot Corsa!

Good Lord! I wasn't aware I was asking for everyone's first born. I'll make sure to follow every post I read with a simple comment, "Buy a book or use the search bar." Matter of fact, let's just shut down "Post new thread", it's already here. Some people just can't read a post and move on without a comment. I was simply looking for 4-5+/- responses. It wasn't intended to be an insert bolt here instruction kit. Maybe I'm just too nice of a guy who shows people something called respect.

alfin32 likes this.
  12. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Exactly the type of response I was expecting.
    At the same time. Post your requests your confused about. And the good old H.A.M.B. folk will be right here for you.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I couldn't help but comment on your thread. You requested a "recipe" and asked for the proverbial 11 herbs and spices (yeah, I counted them). :cool: I am a fan of the Colonel's chicken but his recipe is what made it famous and unique. Your the builder, put on your chef hat and make us something finger lickin good!

14. Asking for a “recipe” for a traditional rod is haaaaard..... as the recipe varies.

Kinda like making chilli everyone has there version of traditional.

There is a fairly basic formula but what ever you do to make it your own is just that.and sticking to a steadfast rule of traditional is the farthest from traditional you can be. Do you think the good ol boys at the start cared about rules? No it was all about what worked, what they could find and what they could afford.

One thing I can say for certain is a 350/350/9” is not traditional...... maybe traditional 80’s-90’s but not HAMB traditional!!!

I know it seems we are ripping on you but when you say you screwed up your last 3 cars where do you think you went wrong and why ? What exactly were you driving for?

See a lot of projects pop up for sale where the owner didn’t have a plan before hand and the project ended up a traditional-pro street-restomod-lowryder!
    See where I’m going with this?
    All that’s builds are acceptable if that’s what you are building, but not a big farm shit pile mishmash of 1/2 ideas.

Anyways build what you like stick to one genra or eta and have fun

15. autoworx1

autoworx1
    from kansas

The 31 "A" truck had a sbc (should have went Flathead). I made a 2"x 3" frame (should have used the "A" frame I had sitting there) electronic Dolphin gauges (BIG mistake). My 32 Chevrolet coupe was really close. 390 Cadillac with 6x2 log manifold, the right grill, right headlights, right engine accessories, right plug wires, louvered decklid, 3" chop, bias blackwalls, etc.. The bad: My dumbass took the easy route and put a new disc brake set-up on the Superbell front end and used a disc brake 8.8" Ford rear end. Then my even dumber ass said "look at me" and used stainless brake lines.

All I want is it to look like it belongs in the 50's. I want the 70 year old dude at the local cruise to be fooled.

16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the expression that goes something like "no one ever learned anything from their successes. Sounds like you been learning plenty.

17. alchemy

alchemy

A coupe body, 32 frame, A crossmembers in front and rear, 32 center K member, 40-48 flathead with two 97's on a high manifold, 39 trans, stock 32 front wishbone and dropped axle, 40 rear axle and torqutube (shortened), 40 brakes all around, 16" steelies, 5.00 front and 7.50 rear Firestone bias ply, 32 dash with vintage SW panel and winged gauges (only originals, not new versions), top chopped 4 inches, hood top with louvers, matching louvers on trunk lid, small Guide headlights (no markers on top), 48 Ford taillights. There you go, follow it all or you will be WRONG.

18. autoworx1

autoworx1
    from kansas

Sounds like a great bowl of chili. Taking notes. Thanks Alchemy!

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Really!? With all due respect for the members here, try building a car YOU like. There are plenty of books and older magazines to guide a traditional build. But it sounds like you're trying to please the group on this website. Seems like what you're asking is like a high school nerd, wanting to know what clothes he needs to fit in with the "gang". I REALLY hope that ain't it.

Straight30weight and Just Gary like this.
  20. autoworx1

autoworx1
    from kansas

Yeah, I'm trying. Looks like I've asked the wrong questions on how to get there.

Petejoe likes this.
  21. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Step at a time. We will be happy to help. Be prepared to take a good while to complete this project. Parts aren’t found through Amazon. And the parts you’re after are held dear. $$.
    Good luck in your quest.

autoworx1 likes this.
  22. The two cars you said the one with discs stainless lines and dolphin gauges

There are guys here on the HAMB that have built covers for there disc brakes that look good

Stainless limes are easy to remove

What was the deal with the dolphin gauges .... are they not part of the Hoffman group of companies ? They look good but are cheap compared to sw and others

Sounds like you built two nice cars!

23. indyjps

indyjps

Autoworx1, youre asking others to do the work for you, its a bit rude.
    We're past it.

Are there certain cars/ builds that interest you, please post. This gives an idea of the period, look, stance youre after. Even within a generation or set of years, you have east coast / west coast, or more appropriately channeled, unchanneled, even thats debateable.
    Suspension / stance will effect other ares of the build.

Find a look or car you like, and start working on the parts to get to that one build. It narrows down the request above.

24. autoworx1

autoworx1
    from kansas

images.jpeg rodp_1006_01_o+1931_ford_model_a_coupe+right_side.jpg 7bcf8818cfd30d6a33d89ec3cccc6b70.jpg 1ec8edb061c0a565be93f5ed5106aff9.jpg

25. indyjps

indyjps

Nice selection

26. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

So you really favor more of a late 50's - early 60's style. That's cool, I like that too. The pictures themselves pretty much give you the recipe. OHV engine, multiple carbs, duece frame, steelies with center caps & black wall tires. Cool!

27. missysdad1

missysdad1

28. oj

oj

What Blues4U said and channel it, not a highboy, a Pontiac or Olds with stock triple two barrel.

Rex_A_Lott and autoworx1 like this.
  29. autoworx1

autoworx1
    from kansas

20180224_103438.jpg 20180224_103450.jpg So, I got one bought this morning. Its been sitting since 1960. Gas ration victim. I don't think I'll keep this one though. Really want a 30-31. I'll look for quarters and make my decision then. Open to offer$.

Lil'Alb, Stogy and mike bowling like this.
  30. mike bowling

mike bowling

Too many options to your question -if you don't like Vern, try Tex Smith - "How to build a hot rod"

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.