Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects man I hate this cold weather!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lostone, Feb 21, 2018.

1. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I hate this cold, wet weather! I've got a couple projects to finish up but it's too cold in the shop.

Got a fender and hood to paint but sub 35° temps have put that on hold.

Got my bearing adapters machined down and ready to install and check my caliper to rotor clearance but too cold for that, but I did get my connecting tie rod built and machined and we had a 62° day so I got it done and test fit, it fit perfect.

I'm old and work in a cold building on cold cars and many days I'm under them dripping cold ice/water/sleet down my back so spending the evenings in my cold shop isn't very appealing, now maybe if I were 25 again ;)

2. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

Guess I'm older, I don't crawl under them when they are dripping. Of course I don't go to work anymore, so I can be picky about when I work on projects or fix our daily drivers. I don't hate the cold, I prefer it over hurricanes and wild fires. If I get desperate, I turn the thermostat up in my garage for a couple days.

3. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

under 20* in the mornings here , up to Low 30*s in daytime , I can relate , woodstove not able to keep up

Bruce Fischer and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  4. It was 70 here yesterday, I wanted nothing more than to throw my leg over one of the bikes and disappear for a while. Today it’s 33. Sometimes NY can be a real bastard.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. You guys are funny! Never got above 15 degrees here today......

6. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

It was about 76 yesterday so I was on the motorcycle,I have not got much done on the cars this winter and spent most of the time in the basement building models where it was warm.

7. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Yep, here in Central Kalifornia it was in the high 60's low 70's last week, then the Canucks sent their cold air mass to us, it was 20 deg here at my house yesterday morning according to my thermometer up at the barn. It's gradually warming back up with possible rain with snow up higher tomorrow.

8. Gotta love February.

9. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Went to a funeral in Chickasha OK yesterday and during the 1hr service 1/2" of ice coated the cars. Many couldn't get their doors open but we had one side down wind and lucked out. 67 when we left Dallas area at 9am and 35 when we got back at 5:30 pm. Of course it was raining and supposed to do so till Sunday---Goodby Decatur swap meet.

10. lostone...i don't blame you for not wanting to work in the cold , i won't do it either. you have to put some heat in your shop

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  11. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

In Ohio?? Ioway has been trending low teens at night and freezing for highs.

I try to do any maintenance preventive or otherwise, in the fall and actually prefer cooler temperatures (compared with high heat and, especially, &#%!|\@! humidity) for working. Cold weather isn't any good though.

12. The older I get, the less I can tolerate the cold.:(

13. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I used to think the old folks were wimpy for heading to Florida during the winter but I now see why,I am starting to be able to feel the weather change due to the damage to my bones from a bad car wreck years ago. I have plans to do all this work during the winter that never gets done and have to rush in the spring to get it done.

14. Deuces

Deuces

Ain't that the truth....:(

15. Yes me too The wet makes my joints hurt. I can cut firewood when its in the single digits and everything is frozen. hafta bring the chainsaw inside and keep it warm so the bar & chain oil will flow and the plastic doesn't shatter. But firewood will split easy when its cold. I also cannot take the extreme heat. The humidity here is really bad. Getting a motor home and chasing the nice weather is looking better every year,

16. It was a record high of 80* yesterday in Virginia. So I took my grandson for a cruise in his Roadster. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

OFT, Bandit Billy, 48stude and 5 others like this.
  17. Unusually warm here in the Sunny South,77 degrees yesterday and it will be a repeat today, feels so good after freezing my arse off all winter. HRP

18. Ghost28

Ghost28

I don't mind the cold so much if the sun would just shine. I agree the shop is to cold some days

19. That child takes after his grandpa in more ways than one. :rolleyes: (post #16)

20. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Well here in center of CT it was around 75° yesterday; right now at 10:00 am its 44° and raining some with temps dropping and snow promised for 5 pm...Good thing I screwed off yesterday; ran some errands with the Crosley and the dog for company while also visiting a friend two towns away..Smelling the roses every once in a while is refreshing..

21. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Don, you can change that to " The colder I get, the less I can tolerate the old" and it's still true!

22. brady1929

brady1929

35 degrees here this morning. Cold is right. Now before you guys say something, it gets to 118 degrees here in the summer.

23. .........................Yeah, but it's a dry heat!:eek:.................Kinda like sticking your head into a pizza oven!!:rolleyes:

24. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Yeah I'm 140 pounds and up until my mid thirties 120 pounds so this life of frame straightening and crawling around cars has been hard on me. 3 times in a back brace for pulled muscles, on my 3rd hernia and numerous joint, bone damage I'm really starting to see Florida as a retirement location! Lol

Some mornings I roll out of bed onto the floor on all fours and stretch before I can stand up. Damn I'll be glad when McDonald's goes to 15.00 an hour! I've already been practicing "can I take your order?" In the mirror ;)

25. lothiandon, it different with me I cant take the heat and humidty Even here in East T.N.I have a P. Tact unit like the motels have with heat and A.C. I also have a small A.C. unit in 1 of the shops windows . I am looking for a bigger A.C. unit to put in there. I think it going to be a real hot summer here.Bruce.

26. Yeah, Bruce, that humidity just saps me. Don't think I could live in Florida.

27. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Me to. Here in Nebraska we've had way below normal temps and it seems like every 2 or 3 days we get a couple inches of snow then it warms up enough to melt it off the roads then we start all over again. Come on spring.

OFT and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  28. Long time ago, I made the mistake of building a concrete block garage, can't heat that bitch for nothin'. (I can't justify knocking it down and starting over at this point in my life) During the summer we have a few days hot/humid enough to stop garage work, but not 2 months straight like winter. I try to find small basement projects I can save for winter. I've gotten several small, time consuming things done this winter and in the next week or two, I plan to be back out in the garage more or less full time.

29. bonzo-1

bonzo-1

Anything can be heated with a big enough heater. You haven't tried hard enough.

OFT, tb33anda3rd and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  30. wicarnut

wicarnut

Wisconsin resident all my life, the cold is getting to me now at 70, not going to get any better, even at 60 I tolerated it, some said getting old is not for wimps, my new handle is Wimpy, anybody got a burger ?