Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What is it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shutt, Feb 20, 2018.

1. gatz

gatz

lol

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

TSW. That’s one if the best quotes I’ve heard in a long while.
    Stanlow69,
    Keep asking questions here, just sort out the wheat from the chaff.

3. slack

slack

Ever heard of Elvis Presley?

4. slack

slack

It's like everything else. It sounds complicated (maybe even intimidating) when you first hear it but when you get into, it's pretty much elementary. I remember my time with "transistor theory". It took me awhile just to get past the title. I made it over complicated, it wasn't. ;)

5. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

How old do you think I am.

Montana1 likes this.
  6. slack

slack

I don't know. hence the question. Figured you to be fairly young. I ran across a young man about 2 years ago who had no idea who Elvis was (is?).

7. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

Yeppers, and your elbow would tingle just a bit....

loudbang likes this.
  8. 26Troadster

26Troadster

You got that right, first time and last time. I make sure where it is at now. Also you can't push a coil wire back in and let go of it while your brother is proped up on the truck barefooted. I'll never forget the look on his face.

loudbang and slack like this.
  9. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I`m push`in 50. The car in my Avatar came off the assembly line 2 weeks after I was born. It was the first one I ever bought. It runs like a top. And has never left me stranded. I did run across a retired mechanic who owns a 64 Buick Riv. He didn`t know what a Nailhead was. I was shocked. No pun intended.

Clay Belt likes this.
  10. slack

slack

Why hell, we're practically neighbors! You're only 845 miles from my front porch. The terminology and knowledge of these old cars is becoming more esoteric as time quickly passes (44 years since points?, jeebus o_O). That's why I love the HAMB. A lot of the knowledge and wisdom preserved on here is from people no longer with us.

11. AKGrouch

AKGrouch

Careful, you're makin some of us feel old but it's good to have younger folks in the HAMB. You have apparently never used points...:)

12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I love the story that Richard Feynman tells about being asked to review blue print's for the main building where enriching uranium would be made. In doing so he pointed and asked what's this? out of curiosity only. Those that drew up the prints looked in amazement and changed it.

pitman and squirrel like this.
  13. squirrel

squirrel

that's a great book!

Johnny Gee likes this.
  14. gene-koning

gene-koning

So, I assume your Buick has its original motor, where do you take it to get it tuned up?

Saxman likes this.
  15. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

It`s a Chevy. Big Block car with a 427. It now has a grille made of cabinet knobs that resembles a 58 Buick grille. I take it to a retired guy who is 73. He does all my welding. Numbering more than 100 seats. 2 just this week. We barter a bit. I did some work on his Model A that was originally built in 65. He`s sold it back to the guy who owned it then. Did some work on his Avanti and his Hawk. He just built a 52 Stude with a 302 with independent front suspension. Put seats from a Chrysler Sebring in it. Did the whole interior. He will also be doing my mechanical work on my new build. A 33 Plymouth. The guy spends all his free time in his garage.

16. Shutt

Shutt

Thanks all. 48 Chev’s picture helped. Was a wick holder originally and guide for condensor wires I think. As soon as I saw his picture I remembered the Echlin boxes I would get from NAPA when I was a kid. Usually this nylon piece was in there and we just wouldn’t use it.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

17. pitman

pitman

"Surely you're Joking Mr. Feynman!"
    is quite the howl!
    now back to distributing windows.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    Johnny Gee likes this.
  18. XXL__

XXL__

Dwell has been replaced by cupholders.

19. Yeah, I heard it this way: Eat the hay and spit out the sticks...
    Either way it rings true. ;)

The Shift Wizard likes this.
  20. Don't feel bad stanlow69.

I was standing in line at the local Pizza place last night and I happened to over hear this young guy talking to his girlfriend about his first remembrance of the Internet was AOL dial-up.

I thought, what's an AOL? Dial-up, what's that? o_O

However, I have a son-in-law that's an IT guy and he knows, but he doesn't know where to put the oil in his car! My daughter has to do it for him! :D

pitman likes this.
  21. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Can I use this as my signature quote....
    squirrel says " You can work on stuff, without understanding how it works."

22. What would Do if he seen a Dual Point Distributor with the Dual
    Window Cap.! & tried to Adjust the Points.?
    Stanlow69
    Why Don't you Pick up a Old Motors Manual & Read about Points
    Or Read the Whole Book.!

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

23. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Scan0626.jpg You mean one of these. I have more than a couple laying around. Last night, my boy brought by an o8 Malibu he just bought. We took the front bumper cover off and attatched the headlights correctly. Made a list of things I need to get at the junkyard this coming week to fix a few things on it. This morning I worked on a couple seats for my 90 year old good friend who just lost his wife a couple months ago. Then worked on the back seat of a 65 Plymouth. It`s supposed to be my day off. Feeling guilty just siting here, so it`s back to the garage. Tomarrow(Sunday) it`s off to a car show 230 miles away to look at cars I know nothing about.

24. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

It`s kind of ironic that you guys are giving me crap about mechanics this week. The first person to work on the car in my avatar passed away 2 days ago. He replaced the timing gear and chain on my car. Also, 4 days ago, the guy who owned the NAPA store where I bought all my parts also, died. His 66 Cad was the first complete interior I ever did 27 years ago. They were 71 and 74.

25. I remember working on a points distributor in the 70s and we had a part left over exactly like yours. My Buddy said it was a Giniffrin Rod. Also had one left over from rebuilding a Rochester carb.

26. Rich S.

Rich S.

Anyone out there set the points gap with a match book? It got you close if you were stuck somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

pitman and loudbang like this.
  27. Rich S.

Rich S.

Or drop the condenser screw under the plate...Now that got your day off to a good start!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

LOST ANGEL and loudbang like this.
  28. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He's right-I'm not sure I understand all I know.

29. Don't feel bad about asking questions, back in high school, I had to ask what 69 was, she showed me! Now that was one hell of an answer!
    And back in the day, I never set dwell. .017 feeler gauge and run it. (dwell was for chevys)

30. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

stanlow69, there aren't many guys who can do it all. Some are better mechanics, some are better electricians, some are better at paint and body work, others are better upholstery guys. Then there are some of us who try it all, with varying results! I'm only 59, but learned a lot of this stuff back years ago, then forgot about it as time passed. Like I have heard said, use it or lose it, and I've probably lost a bunch of it! It's good to get re educated by most of these guys, even if sometimes some of them get a little gruff.

pitman and Montana1 like this.