Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How do short guys paint roofs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Texas57, Feb 21, 2018.

1. More specifically, how do guys with short arms paint metalics on roofs? It's not a height issue, as I have made two 20" tall x 6' platforms. My problem is my arms are not long enough to hold the spraygun in the proper perpendicular position to get a good even spray pattern at the center of the roof. I can get it close enough with the primers and clearcoats, but the base coat metalic is giving me fits!
    I can't be the only one who has this problem. Yeah, I know, I should let the pros do it, but I've always been proud of the fact I've been able to say I built the car 100% myself.
    We had a thread going a few months ago on tools WE WISHED were available. lol, I need a paint gun extension!
    frustrated DIY'r gettin' ready for another try.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

You need more serious scaffolding, so you only have to reach down to paint the roof. Or a taller vehicle, that no one can see the roof (I did that trick on my Suburban).

3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

4. I have a painter friend with long arms.

5. LOL, yep......some type of a higher rig I could at least lean against, but kept thinking of anything being touched or moved above the car was asking for debris/dust/Texas silt being dropped into the new paint.
    Not sure If I want another project in designing and building an aluminum lightweight extension that the gun could be bolted to, that added a foot or so to the reach, and of course had a trigger mechanism to actuate the gun's trigger. Sometimes I think too much. I should have mentioned also, I'm 71, so being a gymnast balancing one one foot while I'm walking the platforms and strugling with hoses isn't in the cards anymore, lol

Jugornot and VANDENPLAS like this.
  6. Rent an arm stretcher

RMR&C likes this.
  7. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

mission_impossible.jpg
    Suspension system to hang you over the car

alanp561, XXL__, '51 Norm and 3 others like this.
  8. BJR

BJR

I don't see this ending well.:p

9. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

Roll it on to it's side.

basecoat.jpg

jazz1, kbgreen, Dan Hay and 7 others like this.
  10. fuzzface

fuzzface

Short painters just claim they did a fade away roof paint job on purpose and charge extra for it. :)

11. fuzzface

fuzzface

Otherwise like relic mentioned above I just tip it sideways on my rotisserie.

Deuces likes this.
  12. henry29

henry29

Let the air out of the tires

13. Sorry sir,
    Being only 5ft 9in on a good day, I can share plenty of tips to get higher to paint, but I don't think there are too many to overcome "alligator arms"
    God Bless
    Bill

Deuces and Texas57 like this.
  14. Call your 6'3" son to come help with his "monkey arms"...his description.

lothiandon1940 and Deuces like this.
  15. 392

Self explanatory and innovation will prevail.

Texas57 and RMR&C like this.
  16. flatford39

flatford39

He needs to drape that hose over the back of his neck. It keeps the hose away from the car. Otherwise he did a really nice job on your roof.

17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

About the most logical suggestion so far.

lothiandon1940, Deuces and Jugornot like this.
  18. Easy, chop the top!:cool::p

bob b., Deuces, '51 Norm and 3 others like this.
  19. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They drive roadsters?

bob b., UNSHINED 2, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  20. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I've watched him my entire life. He can paint an entire booth of parts hung from the ceiling, set up on sawhorses, on barrels, etc and navigate the entire thing with an uncanny sense of where the hose, his gun, his head, and shoulders are at to keep from touching anything.

Not to say he doesn't make mistakes, but all the best painters know how to fix them without anyone knowing. ;)

scrapiron likes this.
  21. sunbeam

sunbeam

I saw guys painting a roof on a 12 passenger van, painter on a ladder while two guys pushed the van past the painter.

22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Smacks of a "Chinese firedrill" but that's a great idea!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  23. I painted a school bus once, I just walked around on the roof to paint. Nobody would ever see it.
    Ruined my good sneakers though....

craig b blue and Bruce Fischer like this.
  24. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

We had a painter named Shorty just barely over 5ft. Tall , he kept 5gal. Thinner cans and lined them up next to the car when he painted a roof, sometimes he would come over to the body shop and get me to paint the roofs for him.
    We later figured it out to paint new roofs off the vans and then put them on and since you welded in the drip rail area we just filled it with seam sealer and we were done. We also painted the inside of van 1/4 panels before we put them on this saved us from unloading so they could paint the inside.
    Where there is a will there is a way.

25. 59Tele

59Tele

26. 59Tele

59Tele

I used to stand on a milk crate and my brother would grab me by my belt while I leaned over the roof. Trust-building exercise.

lothiandon1940 and Deuces like this.
  27. Vanness

Vanness

I usually get “higher” by not using my mask on the first coat....but on a lighter note, air out of tires and I also used spare wheels on rims. Easy to move and stable. Nobody sees the roof anyways :). Unless it is a low profile car like a gt-40. (Then that’s all you see, and you wouldn’t have that painting problem...)

28. That's cheating but boy does it make it nice

29. Get a big bungie cord tied around your waist and to the wall behind ya.