Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Lincoln 12’’ Front Backing Plates, 1939? Need id

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ric Dean, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Ric Dean

Ric Dean
    from Central NY

Lincoln 12’’ Front Backing Plates, 1939? Need id

… Found these 12'' Front Backing Plates mixed together with other old Brake Parts. All the photos I have seen of 1940s Lincoln 12'' Front Backing Plates these look different. There were some Wide 5 12’’ inch Rear Drums in the mix that were painted the same color, I’m thinking these frt backing Plates could be a 1939 Lincoln only application? If that is the case are these frt Plates a different off set and need diff Hardware etc in order to mount them to 39 Ford Spindles?
    I will try to add photos that help explain.

Thanks for the help, Ric
    12'' Frt Backing Plate inside 1b 700p .jpg 12'' Frt Backing Plate outside1b 700p .jpg 12'' Wide5 Brake Drum Rear outside 1b 700p .jpg

2. 270bob

270bob

They will bolt up to a 37-41 ford round spindle.

3. alchemy

alchemy

Didn't original Lincolns have the dust ring on the outer edge? Maybe you've got some F-2's?

4. 270bob

270bob

I don't think they are 39 lincoln backing plates, can't remember all the details. However, he does have a 12" self energizing Bendix backing plate.

dirt t likes this.

5. AULIZ

AULIZ

Yes, those are F2

Ric Dean likes this.
  6. Ric Dean

Ric Dean
    from Central NY

Thanks all, now I'm off to find Parts but.
    Through what years were these F2 Backing Plates used?
    Is it easy to convert them away from self-adjusters?
    I’ve never done any of this 1940s-50s Brakes pieces & parts before so please forgive my ignorance, but I’ve got some questions.
    Using Wide 5 aluminum Drums with 2.5 inch Shoes and 1939 Ford Car ‘Wide 5 Hubs’ how much does this muddy the waters interchangeability wise etc?
    Included a few photos.
    Thanks, Ric
    Wide 5 Allu Drum 2.5'' Shoes 2 600p .jpg Wide 5 Allu Drum 2.5'' Shoes measure 600p .jpg

7. oj

oj

I'm working that combination out myself. This is the rear, correct? I haven't put everything together as yet but I think you'll need a '58ish buick backing plate to get the depth. The wide5 hub sets things back a bit and when the buick drum is mated to the backside of the hub the package moves back a good bit, I machined a '58 Buick (I have Buick on the front too, one is '56 and the other '58) backing plate to bolt up to a banjo rear. I'm in the process of rebuilding the banjo and haven't done a final fit for the brakes but I believe it'll take a 2 1/2" shoe.
    Here's a pic of the stock Buick backing plate and a machined one for the banjo, you can see how deep it is. DSC07588.JPG
    In looking at the pic, this looks like 1 front and 1 rear.

8. oj

oj

I took a couple pics if that'll help. Your drums don't look like buick, maybe its the angle or something. I stuck a backing plate on mine and took a couple pics so you can see how far back you need to get.
    The rear is upside down, I have sticking straight up to rebuild and rolled it over for these pics. DSC00469.JPG DSC00470.JPG
    This is the front but it'll give you an idea of how big the Buick drum is and how they stack up and they are a full 2 1/2" deep at the shoe. modified 043.jpg

9. Soviet

Soviet

Ric, everything you need to know is mentioned or linked in this thread.

Those drums are not modified Buick, they're Frankland and/or SRE.

Ric Dean likes this.
  10. Ric Dean

Ric Dean
    from Central NY

Yes I knew they were not Buick, one reason alone is they are twice the thickness, plus notice solid rim around the ribs or vanes whatever their called. I cant find any name on these.
    thanks,Ric
    Wide 5 Allu Drum 2.5'' Shoes 2c .jpg