Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods It's time to change the look of my 32 again. Looking for opinions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mo rust, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Ditto^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

wbrw32 and olscrounger like this.
  2. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I like the full fender with side panels missing the best. As for up-dating just start at the beginning again and roll through all the up-dates you’ve done over the years. I hope you kept all the old parts! LOL

3. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

Fenders again with stock headlight bar and small headlights . Run narrower wide whites maybe look alike radials . Keep the gingerbread and change the red to maroon .

4. fenders back on, loose the red grille insert and red fire wall... no cowl lights... How about early 60's vibe... Chrome rims( direct bolt pattern , no caps) chrome front grease caps...vette valve covers, Cal Custom round air cleaner., ram horn exhaust manifolds.. my 2 cents worth.. :D

Hollywood-East and Montana1 like this.
  5. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I understand wanting to change things,BUT,I MEAN, UHH.if you have to! Magnesium halibrands on back, mag. 12 spokes on front......... very loud pipes........if you must........but.........

6. Mo rust

Mo rust

I'm getting lots of good suggestions and given enough time, I may get to try most of them! lol I'm going to put on black wheels with Firestone 7.50-16's and 5.50-16's and put the stock hood back on hiding the red firewall. I'll paint the grill black, remove the cowl lights, switch to some smaller guide headlights and run it that way for a season. Next winter I'll put the fenders back on. I'm surprised that nobody suggested that I chop the top, which I like the looks of but don't think I could bring myself to do. Thanks everybody for your opinions.

'Mo likes this.
  7. R Pope

R Pope

Hey, man, it's a Deuce coupe! It can't look bad! Just don't do anything that you can't undo later. And it's way too nice to chop, that's for near derelict shells.
    Personally I like wires, fenders and big headlights with cowl lights, but you've already done that......

8. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Not done yet: Channeled w/the full fenders n boards. Not seen often, either, but a good look. Good suggestion on the apple green instead of red.
    Marcus...

alanp561 likes this.
  9. clem

clem

Don’t chop it, - plenty of chopped ones around .........

10. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I am with the 7.50/5.50 tire combo.:cool:

11. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I love the black on black look.
    It’s always been popular. Even more popular now traditionally and of course even more so contemporarily.
    But I am sure glad to see red, green, cream and yellow trim for traditional trim colors otherwise it would be really boring looking at cars.
    3wlarry is frowning at me.

alanp561 and Mo rust like this.
  12. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-2-20_9-40-41.png
    Hey MR,
    That is one, great looking, 32 3 window coupe. Everything about it speaks “Hot Rod.” You have done a lot of things to the coupe. I like that you are ever changing the previous concoction for new one. It is a lot less than buying a new one each time you want a new look. But, it will be a new look with changes. A clean, cool looking, hot rod for the times...

As much as the full fender look is popular, the rake look without the fenders is what would be our number one choice. This photo above looks like lowering front end is still possible. We would probably put on smaller/narrower front tires to go with the bigger tires in the back similar to the 32 3 window coupe pictured below. The whitewalls convey a certain older style, but our look is more of a drag racing coupe for the street.

One final touch would be a 671 on top, but not sticking out of the hood. If there is a way to leave everything under the hood without hood mods, that would be the look. Your 32 motor compartment looks like it would have enough clearance to put a 671/carbs or F.I. and still clear the hood. Just my $.02.

Jnaki

Bigger rear tires/Halibrands
    Smaller/narrower front tires/Halibrands
    Lower stance in front
    671 under the hood, not sticking out.
    Leave the color black, no flames, no striping, no scallops.
    upload_2018-2-20_9-43-55.png

alanp561 and 36couper like this.
  13. No fenders, yes hood and hood sides, cream steelies and blackwall Excelsior Stahl Sport Radials! Oh, and a cream firewall/grill insert! As an alternate, substitute dove gray for cream...

Nice coupe!!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    alanp561 likes this.
  14. This one looks awesome, but dont change yours to RHD :) Tho some details could use some help ie the radiator hose.
    [​IMG]

alanp561 likes this.
  15. donnie

donnie
    from NC

Full Fendered, Full Hood again, and some nice simple pin stripping and you are done.

16. I recommend pressing the right pedal a lot

alanp561 likes this.
  17. adam401

adam401

How about chopping it?

Haha figured I'd stir the pot a little.

18. ...this could go on forever, how do you figure out what you're havin for supper?...sheeesh

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  19. rdscotty

rdscotty
    from red deer

For another bolt on option that's easy to add or remove, how about nerf bars instead of bumpers. You could have small ones for fenderless and full ones when running fenders.

alanp561 likes this.
  20. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

'07 pic looks best. Go full fenders and hood. Deep 6 the cowl lights as they're not for Hot Rods. Drop the red firewall and red "clown nose" grille-go stainless. Peak the grille shell and go with painted King Bees. I like the suggestion of Torque Thrusts.
    IMHO, Stock roof height, 32-34 Coupes look awkward w/o fenders.

alanp561 and slowmotion like this.
  21. I always thought it would be fun to have a couple extra bodies sitting around and ready to go. One week you could have a roadster, the next week you could have a 3-window, the next week you could have a Tudor.

Just unbolt it and unplug the wire harness and swap bodies! Then you'd need a few extra sets of wheels and tires. Just change it up like those 3-n-1 model kits we used to have as kids! ;)

alanp561 likes this.
  22. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

2007 , full fenders ,

23. ROCKER77

ROCKER77

Full fendered with some Torq-Thrusts and ditch the red insert

slowmotion likes this.
  24. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Me, 7.50/5.50’s, Black steel wheels, no fenders, hood top and no sides. Black firewall and a grill color change, not black but maybe the gray as mentioned.

Rams horns, vette covers, 60’s Chevy open air cleaner like from a 66/67 SS396

Hub caps, maybe or maybe not.

Cliff Ramsdell

25. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since you have em, fenders. I wouldn't black the grille as that seems too easy and almost a cliche'. Yes, I too would lose the cowl lights. That all in I love the idea of OEM style chrome wheels (smoothies look like you ran outta money :eek:) and with that a whitewall looks good. Grey metallic on the grille, bright enough to notice up close. Love the idea of white boards and top but you could work into that over time. The beloved Deuce has been worked over so many ways it's truly hard to say which is best yet for me the "little pages" look never fails. Seems to look fresh every day, always brings big smiles to the fans and casual observers, has big time cred with crowds of all ages. SBCs were used a lot then too so changing up how it's dressed is in the cards too. Still, I realize you ain't building it for me.

alanp561 likes this.
  26. Mo rust

Mo rust

threew.JPG Getting started with updates.

27. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Keep it black. Ditch the red for something less striking, like dove gray or similar, maybe black.

Most of the ideas circle around keeping it with steel wheels or early wires, but I think the car would look great in a mid-late '60s vibe. Mostly a stock look, but low, with blackwalls, and some kind of flashy wheels like Skylark wires or Halibrands. Like the Early Times cars or the first incarnation of Chapouris' '34. JMO.

sc0311a8e3.jpg LARoadsters64.jpg early times car club - 60_'s.jpg
    Nov-73-R-and-C-530x685.jpg

28. alchemy

alchemy

Late 60's to early 70's is gonna be the next trend era. The Skylark wheels like on that black A roadster, or even some cheaper Truespokes are gonna be the "it" wheels. Another player will be original Cragar SS (not the new production). A black 32 coupe with fenders sitting really low over some chrome wires would be IT! You could even leave the cowl lights.

Sancho, Nailhead A-V8 and Gotgas like this.
  29. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

I take it a chop is out of the question? seems to be the only thing you haven't done already lol if so then No Fenders! A) nose and peak that grille! is this a hot rod or a"restomod"? lol B) I've always liked a black & white checkerboard '32 firewall C) design your own insert ala early '60's horizontal bars or a panel with a race number or rat fink on it? go nuts it could end up really cool why not? or go white instead of chrome or red D) the rims are too small and the front tires too fat so 16" rims Big n littles and much narrower front tires, white rims with black walls or chrome reverse steelies with wws, no caps E) I like the headlights but more trad would be king bees on stands, F) model A frame horns old cam spreader bar instead of the "street rod" chrome one or dirt track style "smiley face" nerf G) big headers that you can run a "cut out" on and lakes pipes

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    Montana1 likes this.
  30. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

bills phone 001.jpg 20170713_130106.jpg 20150813_152316.jpg 20170803_203853.jpg I like fenders but fenderless works for me also.
    Nothing like the look of wires.
    Mine was due for an update last year.
    Change of paint, louvers, headlamps, interior and wires did it up. Started out with King Bees, bucket seats and polished Torque Thrusts.

Nailhead A-V8 and i.rant like this.