Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A New Can of Beans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porknbeaner, Jan 15, 2018.

1. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Now where did that Baby Ruth bar disappear to.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    loudbang, rjones35 and Blues4U like this.
  2. I should have the new old scatter shield in a week or so. (Note @saltflats I found one that's in budget) Once it is here I will be able to make a real judgment. I have to have room for a gas peddle so the firewall may move back a little bit and that will in turn move the seats back a little bit.

I'll show the process that I am using when I get that far. My current idea is set the back of the mill (flange of scatter shield) against the firewall, this gives me about 22" setback. On 111" that is about 20% +/- ( someone grab a calculator for me). But I think that the bell is going to cut into my foot room and that would make me have to rethink things a little bit. If it were strictly a dragster no big deal put the loud peddle on the hump. The plan is street strip car so being able to mash the peddle for more than 11 or 12 seconds needs to be taken into account.

Its an *effin adventure. This is going to be a hoot.

*tryin real hard to not drop the F bomb out of respect for the boss.

Oh Austin ( @Austin kays ) thought it was important to out me on the timex so this is for you buddy.

20180212_161413.jpg

She's a little dirty, hell she's got about 150K on her now and been rode hard and out up wet. But if no one tells I am still painting 292 CI on the cowl. LOL

I should also give Fat Luckys credit for those extra comphy covers on my JC Whitney seats. Sean outdid himself on this one. ;)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Ben if I had known you had a budget I would have priced the one I have.:D
    I was figuring it was just going to cost you a tank of fuel. ;)

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  4. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I know this was quite a few back, but I hear it is now for sale,,,

loudbang likes this.
  5. My budget is if I have money when I see the parts. LOL This way we don't have to rob Petter to pay Paul. ;)

6. Austin kays

Austin kays

Hahahaha thanks.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

That ought to be a hoot when you're done, beano!!! You need to start a KC version of Street Outlaws with it.

8. LOL there actually is something along those lines here. Hard to break into as it is illegal and those guys are out for blood. It became more popular once they closed the local track. :D

9. 'Beaner- you need to bring that to the Gear Jam in April or next October!!!

10. Well we are shooting for MOKAN in August, I am not sure that we'll pull it off but I'll try, it does have a tow bar so if I am not yet street legal I can still get it where it wants to go. ;)

11. loudbang

loudbang

Make it a ROADSTER LOL

[​IMG]

48fordnut, enloe, catdad49 and 8 others like this.
  12. Cool and maybe that is a good idea, Mine is like sitting in a chopped A coupe. LOL
    Wish I could get a better look at that front suspension.

While we are at this my Tin Can shipped yesterday, when it gets here we can start getting serious. ;)

13. loudbang

loudbang

Here is another one but still can't see front suspension

[​IMG]

14. He's got fenders, that cheatin. :D

chryslerfan55, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  15. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Every body has their own plan for how you should build it' Here is an old Howard Johansen car that ran for many years. Good look. But the 40 nose will be good to. 27972235_10156211108356457_2985145194708970555_n.jpg

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  16. Lots of inspiration on the thread, the little car could actually be a lot more car if it belonged to someone else. I am afraid that even my execution of the '40s hoods won't be what those that came before me have pulled off, but I'll do my best. My biggest desire for the little car is to plant my ass in the seat, stab the loud peddle and grin. Grinning being the operative word here. :D :D :D

Quick question is the windshield laid back to conform to a windshield height rule or for slip streaming?

17. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I would suspect both.

18. I am like a damned cat when it comes to curiosity, given the fact the fact that I have lived this long I got an idea that I was dealt a couple of extra lives though. Thanks. ;)

19. atch

atch

maybe there might be a front suspension idea somewhere in here:

1004rc15_o+hot_rod_reunion_vintage_race_cars+multi_carb_chevy_small_block_engine.jpg 46657-BA#1.jpg 394382-1340059171-5d1419a806f6dd9e2610fa1d0028acd6.jpg 7570392.jpg 148415705214c5c98523z.jpg crosely.jpg crosley%207.jpg crosley-3.jpg db_IMG_4072AA1.jpg rod.jpg Possum-Chaser-Life-1.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  20. atch

atch

looks like I might have overstepped the pic limit...

db_IMG_4087AA1.jpg DSCN0700.jpg Growler_2.jpg image.jpeg my pictures022.jpg my pictures025.jpg

enloe, chryslerfan55, brad2v and 5 others like this.
  21. atch

atch

These are the pix that I have that show front suspension. Note that these are pretty much all stretched or fliptops. Other pix don't show much of the suspension when covered by sheet metal.

If you want more pix of bodies let me know. I've got about 75 more Crosley pix. All the way from street roddy to full on competition. Included is Dave Lukkari's Crosley powered and Model A fendered sedan.

22. Looks like you're having a lotta fun with the Crosley project, Benno. If you take it to the salt, remember, a long wheelbase is your friend. My son and I took his O/T turbo Porsche out to a USFRA event to meet my lil' brother. He took his 86" wheelbase Morris Minor and we met up on the salt. We ran the 150 MPH club and Scotty ran in the 130 bracket with the Morris. [377 sbc/powerglide]
    With Scotty driving, that Morris would spin out at about 130. With his buddy, Chris driving it ran 140 before spinning out. They were asked not to make any more runs for going 140 in the 130 club.
    My kid and I ran 157 in the Porsche...what fun! It's a 4 or 5 day event.
    scottysmorisB'ville.jpg Scotty's morris on 6th street..JPG

23. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

When you look at the rear of the top, it was probably the result of chopping the top without adding any length to it. As the top got lower the posts had to slope back to fit.

24. Well my A chassis has been stretched to 111" and unless I change rear ends ( which could happen after my first trip to MOKAN (good thing this one came with a tow bar)) I'll keep skinny tires on (7 or 8" max) which should also help. The first order is MOKAN, I hope that my old bones can go all Gilligan and handle a 3 hour cruise. Its just a damned good thing that there will be coolers full of medication and strangers to meet when I get there. :D

@Wildman1 shipped me a tin can this week so I can actually get serious about having fun with this little car. I hope it arrives by the weekend. There are some hurdles to overcome (mostly monetary) but no hill for a stepper. ;)

@atch lots of eye candy. I was curious about the suspension on the car because I just can't help myself. My suspension is set, I may remove a could of leaves so that I don't pogo stick on the road though. LOL

see tire.JPG

My old eyes can't tell if its torsion bars or a cross leaf. The bulldog mounts suggests leaf spring though.

I still remember the first time I saw Cool Hand Like run, the kid wasn't old enough to drive legally. I loved that little car and the story that went with it was really cool. They sold it cheap when is got sold like 7K car and trailer.

25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Might have to paint that on the trunk

“No hill for a stepper”

26. Ya know that may just fly. ;)

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Tim like this.
  27. Austin kays

Austin kays

I second that

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  28. OK some progress sort of. LOL

My tin can came in Friday and we needed to know if I was going to loose foot room with the 3 speed and scatter shield. So the day basically started out by some discussion about engine placement in relation to the tin can and transmission.

274a270bc41220c30ecc23660c32b056.jpg

We also discussed my need to remove some stuff from around the little car. @Tim this 327 block needs to go home, I just about imagine that the owner thinks he has lost it for good. LOL

Then we shoved the transmission on the hole to see if we needed to get the sawzall out. This involved removing the torque tube. While we were under there we were admiring how the original builder shortened the drive shaft.

94e2a7113b74ff8a26d90956b4074909.jpg

For you TIG guys this drive shaft was all gas welded, the real way to build a hot rod. ;)

So back to the story, sorry.

We shoved the transmission in there all by its lonesome. There was some more discussion about the ears on the tranny but as you will see they were not a real problem.

d8a4d7ad4587bd67142ee12e41d48ebb.jpg

We cleaned up the flanges on the clutch can and shoved that bugger in there.

2a63f1edb2bf6df7fb50408920f0a1f5.jpg

a8ea853846c521687a57f037acfef994.jpg

There is little interference and absolutely no loss of foot room. The flange ends up about an inch before the firewall. and the transmission lands real well in the existing cross member. There may be a little interference on the shifter side my nothing that a little grinder work won't handle.

3c58b8c4d109304f7ca6cddaee847b39.jpg

20180212_161413.jpg

I do not doubt that there will be some alterations once we bolt the motor to it and stab it again. But they should be minor. The plan is to make as few alterations to the original build as possible. Basically an upgraded mill and open drive will be our biggest alteration. Just like the old days when a race car went as a roller to its new owner.

Note: by running the tape and using basic guestimation we should end up with a 20-22" engine setback or about 20%. Guess we can't call it a gasser. We'll get a real number when we hang a motor between the frame rails which should be soon I hope. ;)

29. loudbang

loudbang

Another shot of it.

united auto check all.JPG

Roadsir, Max Gearhead and catdad49 like this.
  30. I would imagine with the short wheel base if you had much motor at all it would be a "Wild Willey Borsch" ride for sure. :D

[​IMG]
    I would think that being slightly nose down helps it a bit.

hendelec, enloe and loudbang like this.