Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Buying site unseen, and shipping....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Straight30weight, Feb 20, 2018.

1. I’m happy for you

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Sorry, but that's Crap!
    I've been using USHIP carriers for years, and have never had an issue with any of them.
    Every single carrier was a Professional Company, with a Contract.

3. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

I would consider Barret Jackson or Mecum Auctions as a legitimate source. I've run a few rides through Auction, and was shocked at some of the quality stuff going for very short money. Many of the low-dollar product goes through before any of the serious buyers show up, so there are deals to be had.
    The other 2-upsides are you have access to a lot of vehicles in one place, and many consigners are going home with an empty trailer, so they'll make transport deals just to cover the fuel expense.

Barrett Jackson, CT
    Mecum, PA

47ragtop likes this.
  4. The thing that drives me nuts about barret Jackson is that half the people with absolute junk think that because they seen a similar model car as they have go for 250k, that there’s must be worth a ton. I’ve seen it several times in Craigslist. I blame the tv for that lol. Seriously though, yes there are good cars up here. The problem is I want one of those in between rides. Not a restored beauty (plenty of them here) but not a complete ground up build either. Almost everything I’ve looked at here needs floors, rockers, etc.

I let a nice 63 wagon in Jersey slip away simply because I couldn’t get there before he sold it. Yes they are out there, they just really seem few and far between. For the money he wanted, it was a good deal. I’m not surprised it sold within a couple days of being posted.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I know many guys who have purchased cars sight unseen and they all have told me they would never do that again!
    The stories they have told me would make your hair stand on end!!!

If you are smart do not purchase any car sight unseen.
    Jimbo

olscrounger likes this.
  6. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

One person made this comment,
    I would consider Barret Jackson or Mecum Auctions as a legitimate source.

The real problem here is many guys fail to ask the really important questions when buying a car!
    I also had a friend who purchased a 62 Corvette from Barret Jackson and had it shipped to his home and they rolled into his garage.

After getting new plates and new paperwork he and his wife decided to take the car for a ride.
    He started the car and backed it out of the garage and the right front tire fell off the car!!!!! No Joke!

Turns out the car had been restored many years ago and had been sitting in storage in CA. for years before the owner decided to sell it.

The wheel bearings had zero grease in them and were completely tried out. Want to take a guess how many years this takes to happen in a Hot Warehouse in CA. just sitting!

Questions to ask before buying a car. When someone says it had been completely restored you next question should be how long ago!

Another simple question is to ask the owner if you were going to keep the car what does it need right now?
    I asked this very question and the owner started telling me about the hum in the rear end along with a lot more problems that the car had. Some owners will tell you and many other won't.

My favorite saying in life is "People get the Right Answers to the Wrong Questions" they never seem to ask the right questions so the choices they make in life are not very wise!

Jimbo

7. The auto transport industry (outside of the honorable HAMB shippers..) is basically a whore business. I put in for a quote at DAS (Dependable Auto Shippers) and my phone is falling off the wall and my email inbox is filling up. The quote request must go out on a teletype or the equivalent.

I went with a recommendation outside the HAMB, the HAMB shippers were not available or wouldn't go to Long Island. The GW and Throgs Neck Bridge tolls alone were $66 for my car, I gave that to the driver as he had no idea they would be that much. Upstate NY isn't an issue for that.

I first got baited on a low-ball quote of $600 from Denver to LI on a non-running car with no brakes. Cost me a $100 deposit I never got back. From there with a new transport picked, the car was picked up and delivered to my house in just 55 hours. Cost me $1300 and the car got there in 1 piece.

Bought sight unseen and it was as-advertised. I figured if it was a bust I could part it out since it was a west coast car with no rust issues.

The auto-transport industry has a review site. I wasn't aware of it at the time, but you ca get the idea on a shipper before you lay out your $$$.
    https://www.transportreviews.com/

bobwop likes this.
  8. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

Bob is right on the money. Beware of the bait and switch.

I buy a lot of cars. I really hesitate to offer my opinion, or experience, as it all goes back to a comfort zone. As an experienced buyer, I have learned the questions to ask and I am a judgmental bastard. So if I catch a seller in a lie, I am done.

I would suggest that not all cars in the NE or Midwest are rust buckets. Many were sourced from dry climates. Most are not original to the area. So go in with your eyes and ears wide open.

I wish you the best!

Paul B and PunkAssGearhead88 like this.
  9. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I’ve read most of these posts about shipping cost and people seem to have overlooked one aspect of auto shipping, hauling multiple cars at one time. As a retiree, I spend a lot of time on the highways now. It always brings a smile to my face when I see an auto transport with up to probably ten old cars of various brands and condition going down the highway. I know somebody somewhere is getting a “new” car. My point is you can give a better rate per car if you haul ten vs one and plan your route to drop them off along the way. Just thinkin’ Bones

bobss396 likes this.
  10. Most shippers I've seen are set up for at least 3 or 4 cars at a time. The problem with mine, it was in-op with no brakes, not an easy transport. Other shippers I asked, that was one of the questions when I said the car had no drive train, does it have brakes? Apparently a deal breaker for some. And the shipper coming cross country may have to jockey a car on and off more than once. Their profit lies in how loaded the rig is at any time on the road. Mine had a 3-car trailer, he has to work harder to earn less than a guy who can carry 8 or 10 cars.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  11. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Yep , Bob, I understand, the big boys always make more money it seems like. I thought at one time getting in that business, as I like to travel, be a way of paying my expenses. But so many rules and regulations and always the “big” guy undercutting the “little” guy, I decided against it. I was going to specialize in the no run cars and set up my trailer with a series of winches to make it easy, would be easy for me since I’m a Ramsey winch dealer. By the way that wagon I posted is for sale well under your $10,000 limit. Bones

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  12. One point I would like to make is, its no longer 1985....a 50's or 60's car from California will likely have rust or rot on it somewhere.

10 years ago I spent a couple winters car hunting staying with relatives on the central valley of California. My observations are based first-hand.

a) They have rust. Probably in different locations then a rust belt car, but they rust. Once that weatherstrip baked and dried out in the Cali sun, water under carpet for 40 years isn't pretty (yes, it does rain there) Also, if it was too close to the ocean, expect weird rust by rust belt standards: Roof drip edge, around windshield, backglass, etc.

b) They were run much harder and longer then eastern cars. They may not have the rust issues to the same extent, but you will find stress cracks, you never knew could exist.

c) They are baked. Any plastic, vinyl, or upholstery will be toasted beyond your wildest imaginations. So many people say well, any upholstery is easy to do compared to rust...true...but its still a major cost consideration especially if you get into cars with padded or molded dashes.

Honestly after having my share of rust belt and cali cars, I found the best thing to to is find the best not-rusty rust belt car. Its its truly not too rusty (I don't mean patched up or bondoed shit), you have a winner both mechanically and body wise, and you manage to side step the million-mile road hard and put away wet BS.

Personally, from my experience of cars from Cali, AZ, or NM, I'd personally concentrate my efforts in the dakotas or wyoming, or such. Those states did not use much road salt, if at all, and they were not subject to the baking hot sun the same way, and many seemed to exist without getting the million miles on them that so cal cars got with the so cal car culture. Also Cali and AZ has been hunted for so long, its stuff other hunters passed up. Back in the 1980's or 1990's it was undeniably a great hunting ground, times change.

bobwop and PunkAssGearhead88 like this.
  13. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

You seem biased. I have no reason to lie, I lost a sale over it recently.

Did you notice a moderator posted right after me pretty much saying the same thing?

Guess you didn't have the guts to call him out as well.

I sold an O/T truck in 2014 on eBay. Buyer went with the lowest bid, that happened to be uShip (that's how they normally get the inexperienced). Almost two weeks later, I get a text saying that the driver was on his way to pick up the truck and would be to my place within a few minutes. I told them I needed at least a few hours notice. I wasn't home, out of town actually,I didn't want to screw over the buyer, so I dropped what I was doing,and rushed home. When I got home, to my surprise, there was a beat up '80s Chevy Van with a beat up single car trailer parked in front of my house with three guys waiting outside.

The truck was pretty low, didn't have adjustable suspension, the buyer knew this and so did uShip. Long story short, I had to help them load the truck since these guys have never dealt with loading a vehicle this low and actually got "trained" in the process.

I don't mind helping, but for what the seller paid, you would think they would send someone out more professional, more fit for the job and presentable (while these guys were nice, you could clearly tell they were living out of the van and smell it to). If it wasn't for me, the truck would of either got damaged, or they would of left with no truck.

Don't need to just take my word for it.

https://uship.pissedconsumer.com/review.html

14. I recently bought a unmolested project 57 Chevy p/u in Tacom, Washington sight unseen and had it delivered in an enclosed trailer by a private hauler. I was more than happy with the truck when it arrived and the shipping as well.
    Ironically it was bought through a Facebook group that most HAMBers wouldn't approve of and shipped by a shipper that a HAMB shipper was trying to belittle. Go with your own gut feelings, ask the right questions and do your OWN research, if your comfortable with it do it, not all experiences are bad.

FrankenRodz likes this.
  15. Contrary to popular belief, there are honest sellers, also quality transport companies.

I like the old quote at an automotive shop..
    "Happy with your experience, tell all of your friends..unhappy with your experience tell me".

Seems relevant, since we have a tendency to only here of the deals gone bad..rarely the satisfied deals.
    As in any business dealings, do your do diligence.

FrankenRodz and olscrounger like this.
  16. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Let me clarify my earlier post about UShip.
    While there may have been deals that went error free and smooth for some people, I did a lot of research and read a lot of feedback and there were many many feedback replies about low bids and having it cost a fair amount more than originally quoted and a lot of hassle to get it done / resolved etc,
    I’m sure there are reputable companies out there. I like to work directly with the transporter.

I have enough contacts to work directly with the guys on the HAMB or if they can’t get it done by a agreed schedule or my budget, I also have worked with some other direct ( non brokered) companies to work through.
    I always give my HAMB buddy’s first shot.

UShip provides a valuable service , it is unfortunately a really cut throat business on the broker side, thus you pay them up front and HOPE you get what you pay for.

Anybody can call me out on it, I don’t mind.
    Transporting is a chance in itself.
    Someone else doing it or doing it yourself.
    I’m just picky on who handles my car.

Moriarity and FrankenRodz like this.
  17. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

I'll keep you in mind. We get several offers on a pretty consistent basis. A lot of folks don't know where to turn when trying to move an older vehicle.
    A good example is a '65 Mustang with 4k documented miles, we flipped for someone, and we're now doing the restoration.

18. XXL__

XXL__

For those doing this, be cautious of civil forfeiture laws and how they can screw you out of your cash without recourse.

56premiere likes this.
  19. Larry Clare

Larry Clare

some shippers are reasonable but as far as inspecting cars pay for a pro . lots of things can be covered up not everyone can figure out how to find hidden flaws bondo etc.

20. Larry Clare

Larry Clare

I happen to like 4 doors don't have to get out to let friends in ,nice big back seat ,don't have to get out to let friends out . go just as fast as 2 doors.

21. vudoochild1977

vudoochild1977

A few years ago i had some money burning a hole in my pocket and bought a car sight unseen... I'll never do that again. Good luck in your search.

Sent from my SM-G935P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. HipCat427w

HipCat427w

Go to a car show and buy a car...

bobwop and Elcohaulic like this.