Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Buying site unseen, and shipping....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Straight30weight, Feb 20, 2018.

1. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

It was in a shed since the 70`s. So they are out there.

2. I tried to update my profile but from the app it doesn’t let me. I almost never get on here from a computer.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

There is no way you are going to ship a car from the west coast to upstate New York for $ 1,000.
    The brokers will bait you they can do it but there's no shipper that will.
    The they will say - well we have to bump up the price to get some one to take it.

Figure - open freight at least .90 to 1.00 per mile
    Enclosed $ 1.25 to 1.50 per mile.

4. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

The HAMB is your friend here. [Just be prepared to return the favour]

I was looking for a particular car and found one in the USA [I'm in New Zealand]
    So I did a search on the HAMB using the "town name" and found a member that was 20 miles from where the car is.
    I messaged this member who was more than willing to help [I even offered $$ but he declined and said he wanted to help a fellow HAMBER]
    A BIG THANK YOU..... MARK
    In my case the seller was a genuine older gentleman, and everything has gone smoothly.

Always help others and the world will be a better place

5. $1000 was the low end.

6. gene-koning

gene-koning

The list of vehicles on your wish list are going to be tough to find in the condition you want, I suspect you are going to want to get a set of trusted eyes, or really clear big pictures, or a video of them. You will want to see the underside while its on a hoist or off the ground. You will want to see under the carpet/floor mats, and inside the bed/trunk near the wheel wells.

Do your homework for each vehicle your interested in and find out the most likely trouble spots, then get pictures/videos of those specific areas. If those areas have new paint, expect they are bondo filled and will need repaired unless there is proof of the areas condition before paint.

Running and driving is another can of worms. Anything that "needs a tune up" or has something "easy to fix" or just needs this cheap part or that cheap part is a bunch of crap. If it was easy or cheap, they would have already done it. Odds are they have already tried it but it didn't work, but maybe you will have better luck.

Good luck finding your new ride. Keep us updated, we want to see how this works for you. Gene

PunkAssGearhead88 and Stogy like this.
  7. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The APP doesn't always work.
    Fixed your location for you......

Stogy likes this.
  8. Have the seller drive the car and meet you halfway....

9. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I think you meant NO end - not low end.

Upper CA ( closest to you from CA )- lets say San Francisco to Rochester , NY is 2,700 miles.

Lets say estimate 10 miles per gallon average ( 13 with a dually / 7 with a semi ) so 10 miles per gallon average.

2700 divided by 10 = 270 gallons of fuel x $ 3.00 per gallon = $ 810.00 just in fuel alone......

Figure at least $ 2,000 and that is the LOW end.

Just trying to be realistic here.

bobwop and Stogy like this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I purchased the ole Hotrod thru conversation and photos. It was picked up and delivered to my door via shipping company. It worked out for me. So not totally sight unseen but no physical hands on from my end...It was as described and as is where is...to this day I,m having fun with it.

Hamber @VoodooTwin was true to his word and all involved helped make it all happen. The car was delivered right to my garage...door closed.

The Shipper handled all the pickup and border stuff...and it was US to Canada as well a wee bit more complex.
    for a reasonable fee in my eyes.

I was nervous about it all a bit but it all come together. Another Hamber used this transporter and all went well as far as I know as well...In this case it was me selling and he flew out to see it...and he liked what he saw, we did a deal and its near the road at this point...Happy for him.

FallTrail.jpg

Good luck on whichever route you choose...

11. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

12. As much as I really dig those, they don’t fit the bill. I’m looking for something usable, wagon, or truck. Prefer wagon or ranchero. That’s why I’m not looking for perfect, I want to use them

13. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

I've only read the first page of this thread,and it seems like I'm not the only buyer that's been lied to. Every single vehicle I've went to go look at, O/T or not, the seller has always lied.

They claimed they "meant to tell me" or they "forgot to mention", obvious, major issues.. Yeah, sure they did, most likely those are the reasons WHY they are selling the car in the first place.

Anybody who knows how far you have to travel to look at a car, & how much time and money it costs aside from making arrangements and still knowingly lies hoping he or she might have the upper hand since you went through the trouble is SCUM of the earth!

It shouldn't matter if you live in the same town, it's a coward maneuver!

To the OP, good luck with your search. First gen Rancheros and El Caminos are tough to find in good driver quality for a reasonable amount.

Stogy likes this.
  14. I think I’m just gonna head out west and start shopping. Everyone’s right. I’ve owned a million cars and 90% of the time the sellers lied.

15. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

well then here you go....

https://albany.craigslist.org/cto/d/1959-edsel-villager-wagon/6497277188.html
    https://albany.craigslist.org/cto/d/1962-ford-100-unibody/6493242475.html
    https://york.craigslist.org/cto/d/1960-ford-stepside-hot-rod/6479796639.html
    https://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/d/1965-ford-ranchero/6475287315.html

Good luck...... 10K doesn't buy you much today - and actually more expensive out west.
    So not sure where you are coming from on the out west.

Yep - undersides/ body will be better - but figure 2 K to ship....

That Edsel wagon NOT far from you looks bitchin '

Stogy likes this.
  16. Actually I completely forgot about that Edsel. I seen it on here a while ago.

17. Funny, these threads pop up all the time & I see so many people saying "Don't ever buy a car without looking at it!

Truth is as one of the three Quality transporters here on the Hamb, along with BenD & Racinman.
    90% of the vehicles I transport, the buyer NEVER sees anything other than pictures & the vast majority of the time they are reasonably happy. There will always be a difference between two people as to the definition of nice, but in the end do your due diligence & listen to how the seller talks & most folks can tell if they are sincere.

As far as the actual transport goes..Cob is spot on about pricing, especially if you care about your new toy & want a quality transporter to handle it for you. If not go with a broker who will put it on central dispatch & give it to the lowest bidder, no matter their reputation as long as he gets his cut & chances are it will end up on a portable parking lot brought by a guy who if he speaks English at all will not know which end of the car is which or you will end up wit some guy using a trailer not made for vehicles with a terrible reputation. The Hamb O Dex is your friend when it comes to checking references of transporters.

God Bless
    Bill Squires(owner)
    Bill's Auto Works
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

47ragtop, bobwop and Stogy like this.
  18. Honestly I did a quick uship quote to check shipping prices. It was 900 on the low to like 1700 on the high. Open trailer (hell if I towed it back I’d probably put it on the open trailer). I appreciate your response and everyone else’s. I think maybe my wife and I will just go have an adventure. At least we’ll make some memories even if we come home with garbage!

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  19. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

I've been told by someone who's actually dealt with Uship that those rates you see quoted on their site are just "teaser" rates to sucker people in. What you will actually be paying in the end is usually more. Just a heads up.

bobwop likes this.
  20. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

USHIP is 99% Brokers....... at least 4 major car transport ones that always quote.
    Read the feedbacks on all of them.
    A LOT of quotes are low bait quotes .... you pay their FEE cut up front for them to post it on a national freight board.
    After little to no action or time goes on with no communication, you call them and they will tell you - well to get action you have to kick in some more $ and eventually someone will take it - IF you cough up more $.
    Those brokers are tarnishing USHIP and Uship should crack down on this crap.
    At some point I see a class action lawsuit on the bait and switch crap happening.

Use the quality transport guys here on the HAMB.
    I've used all of them and deal directly with them.
    All quality honest guys.

Then again - it's cold in NY and here in the Midwest too,
    I'd say - take your wife to the West Coast and make a vacation out of it.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  21. Roundup's coming up in April....maybe a deal between there and where youse are at...... Dodge wagon.jpg

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  22. scotts52

scotts52

I've bought sight unseen. I expect a certain amount of stuff to not be as advertised or as I'd like it to be. I would suggest finding a car you like, then having a local HAMBer check things over for you. Lots and lots of pictures. Also have a mechanic check it out. It'd be money well spent. Consider buying from dry areas. I.e. California, Nevada, Montana, Wyoming, and other dryer states. Eastern Washington is good too.

23. To the OP ....

Put your money in the car you buy & drive it home.

That way - you are not throwing money away.

Take your time - have a great road trip with memorable moments.

I actually operate a business that has been in actual operation since 2006 - with a website - I don’t rely on the HAMB to find cars to haul in my trailer.

But - I suppprt owner operated forums.

That is why I have been a paid Sponsor over on Moparts.com since 2011.

I also am a dues paying member of the AACA - EFV-8 - HCCA - MTFCA - MTFCI & many regional car clubs.

You can get a car hauled 3000 miles for $1000.

I won’t haul a car for 30 cents a mile - I would have to subsidize the cost of transport & be out of business in a short time.

Jim

DC2104A7-7BAD-4BF7-9648-C6DBDD92B393.jpeg 4956ED3C-5EBB-4BDD-ABFF-13BB8F86B3DB.jpeg 29A5734E-FC13-4931-B3DC-95B2BC62B641.jpeg 2EA91B2B-1768-4025-B4B3-116091D8E5C8.jpeg 9B9CED7F-4EE1-4A49-8F6F-7CDBFF48B3D8.jpeg 17B3D068-944F-4DE5-B29E-18CE1CA358EE.jpeg 873B210C-3F16-48A0-A332-D3B8417C0365.jpeg 90F675DA-4175-47DB-AE63-0852AB309A46.jpeg 88FED6D0-8309-4021-984D-029010C24F5F.jpeg 330C733D-4435-451F-B63C-1CF3919AB48E.jpeg 69FAFDB2-6BC1-45FA-8990-A240FF5300AD.jpeg 90952A26-C40C-4A5B-854E-FB978AB6F4ED.jpeg 084F5FB6-3497-4068-9E5B-869CFE13D9CD.jpeg C6318B7C-B21C-4D05-A579-95378D4AA940.jpeg 1EFB882A-9F94-41E6-8BC2-7E41A6B15A32.jpeg A9177AE1-E98C-4BC9-999F-52CFAB1F8B84.jpeg EE6A1C51-E4EC-4DCC-9A76-9289C82003E4.jpeg 0572F952-9265-49CC-8979-54DF2260FF91.jpeg 34583E2D-4D9C-4E1C-B24A-252BA3A95305.jpeg

HAMB Alliance Member Since 2008
    An Actual Business Since 2006

Stogy, abe lugo, bobwop and 1 other person like this.
  24. classicdreamer

classicdreamer
    from nyc
    1. A-D Truckers

I have used uship to bring a COE and a 60s airstream to NY from Midwest. Both were under $900.

25. belair_54

belair_54
    from australia

26. belair_54

belair_54
    from australia

With the internet these days no such thing as sight unseen Ive bought and imported about 9 cars from the states mainly California to Australia all arrived as expected I usually buy off Ebay but have also bought off dealers and private sellers.
    I just get the seller to take as many photos as possible especially the underside if they will not do it move on to the next seller. You can pick up a lot of detail from a photo.

FrankenRodz likes this.
  27. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Funny you're having a tough time finding a Northeast ride in good shape. In my 40+ years of doing this, the best cars I bought were all close by.
    - '67 Nova from Waltham, MA (the most rust-free survivor car I have ever bought).
    - '65 Comet from Newton, MA (the 2nd most rust-free survivor car I have ever bought).
    - '62 Fairlane from the Bronx, NY (the 3nd most rust-free survivor car I have ever bought).
    - '65 Cutlass from Waltham, MA (the 4th most rust-free survivor car I have ever bought).

The perceived misconception about cars from the Northeast is just plain ignorant.