Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods A question for all the flathead V8 guys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Feb 19, 2018.

1. mit311

mit311

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    3W JOHN, ladyhrp and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  2. Seriously speaking, I think (I know that is a stretch) that you should first get the B running without poring tons of money into it. If it is just a carb, fine. Then decide what you really would prefer to run. Flathead / Small Block.
    Then start collecting what you will need to do the job. Enjoy the Deuce while you put your pennies away and keep your eye out for a motor that you can afford. My job is done here!;)

3. Nobey

Nobey

That's one nice car Danny, I'am jealous, and happy for you at the same time. Your banger
    might have ignition problems also. Like timing, condensor, ballest resistor, or even coil. have
    you had a chance to look at it yet? If it were me, I'd go with the 37 engine. That's one sweet
    flathead. It has a lighter crank then it's big brother, and with a chopped flywheel it'll wind
    right up. When I see a 21 stud in a 32, it really knocks my socks off. You'll need a 39 top
    loader, a V8 radiator, and those motor mounts that Chris has, you're good to go. The first
    car a ever road in was my Dad's 32, 5 window with a 1937 V8. It had a Thickston two 97
    manifold, and no fenders.

4. Squablow

Squablow

If the price really is "right", I'd grab that engine regardless. Good running as-is flatheads are getting really rare, and if you don't use it, someone else will want it. If you decide to replace the 4 cylinder at some point in the future and that '37 engine is gone, you'll regret it.

I am thinking like Nobey in that I would dig deep into the ignition if it "feels like" you have carb issues but different carbs don't seem to help. That's generally been the issue for me.

3W JOHN and ladyhrp like this.
  5. Food for thought,thank you sir. HRP

3W JOHN and ladyhrp like this.
  6. Thanks Mark,that is pretty much the plan. HRP

ct1932ford, 3W JOHN and ladyhrp like this.
  7. No expert here......sort out the banger....to much carb or timing with carb ? Comp is an easy check....maybe not enough for the look you have there......good luck with the banger ! Unhook that exhaust for grins and see if that changes anything....that helped me issue once.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. There is nothing to restrict the exhaust,it's straight pipe. HRP