Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods A question for all the flathead V8 guys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Feb 19, 2018.

1. I got in touch with my pal Earl today about rebuilding the carburetor on the banger motor and during the conversation he mentioned he knew of a running 1937 85HP flathead that had been removed and replaced with a sbc in the not too distant past.

He said he drove the car before the engine was removed and it ran great,the owner sold the transmission and rear axle but kept the engine.

The wheels started turning in my brain,,I wonder? The price is reasonable.

What would I have to do to slid it in the coupe?will the transmission behind the 4 cylinder work with the V8? I am aware I will need to add another inlet & outlet to the radiator. HRP

3W JOHN, ladyhrp, dana barlow and 2 others like this.
  2. alchemy

alchemy

You will need a V8 transmission. Everything else can be a bolt in with the right combo of parts. Some might be expensive though (front motor mount arms).

3W JOHN, ladyhrp, dana barlow and 2 others like this.
  3. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

if you're talking about a model A, it will be a tight fit.

3W JOHN, ladyhrp and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. e z i

e z i

I put a 59a in my 31, with a 37 transmission. Used the A banjo, it bolted to the 37 transmission. Had to build a trans cross member and motor mounts of course.
    I had to slightly dimple the fire wall to clear the breather/ fuel pump stand.
    IMAG0787.jpg

barrnone50, 3W JOHN, ladyhrp and 3 others like this.

5. That looks nice. I think HRP bought a 32 5 winder.

6. e z i

e z i

Well then that's another thing altogether..

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

PM Ronnieroadster, he knows all you need to know about flatheads & ARDUNS. :)Bob

8. Assuming you are talking about a stock 1932 Ford:

The following changes need to be made when replacing a Model B with a V8 (21 stud, others will require a few more things):

Of course engine, motor mounts

Muffler and exhaust system before muffler (same after)

Radiator

Radiator support rods

Engine steady rods

Hubcaps

Starter switch (if it is early B with pull starter)

Transmission (gears interchange but cases are different)

Choke (B is a cable, V8 is a rod)

Accelerator linkage

Engine splash pans

Gas line needs to be routed from right on Model B to left on V8

The B will have a few extra holes in the firewall pad from mounting the 4 cyl engine snubber

Need to add emblem to headlight bar

Need to accept the fact that the serial number (VIN) is for a 4 cylinder

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  9. PONTNAK123

PONTNAK123
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

flathead in my old 29 woodie thumbnail_GetAttachment.jpg

10. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Be different and run the banger. Not much difference in power with some hi-PO goodies.
    Coming from a flathead guy who owned a 37 85 horse.

11. Rick,I am trying to get the engine running well,the carburetor that was on the engine just won't idle,we tried a 97 that was on the shelf but it has problems also,I talked to Earl and he is going to work on them and get one of them working properly.

I have talked to several of the banger guys and building a strong running 4 cylinder is expensive and I just can't go that route.

Hopefully Earl can get me on the road and I can start enjoying the car as is. HRP

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    3W JOHN, ladyhrp and dana barlow like this.
  12. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I think the motor you really want to look for would be a 59ab out of a 46-8

13. That's what I would like to have and have priced building one but what I want and what I can afford are two separate things,I don't want to wait 2 or 3 years before I can drive the car. HRP

3W JOHN, ladyhrp and dana barlow like this.
  14. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

21 studs are probably ok but I know 24s are the cats meow. No replacement for displacement:) all 18 of them!!

15. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

After going to the hill climb in Colorado, the bangers sure get a lot of good press. It would minimize your down time to just get the banger running the best it can. If a 59a came along; right place/right time sort of deal you could do the major tear down then. Find a few cool speed parts for it; it would be different for sure. Just thinking out loud... love the car the way it is.

16. I had a strong running flathead in my old mordor deuce sedan and was very happy with it but to build another one like that would cost around 5 grand. HRP

3W JOHN and ladyhrp like this.
  17. Thanks,I appreciate it.HRP

18. What co
    What is the condition of your B engine? If condition permits you should consider warming it up a bit and keeping it.

Charlie Stephens

19. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If that '37 (21 stud) engine is in any kind of good shape at all; GRAB IT. Lots of people LOVE them. You will probably never find another.

20. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Time??
    Get that banger running right.
    Cost?
    Already paid for.
    Hi-PO parts?
    Buy them as time and funds permit.
    Cool factor??
    Over the top.
    You can drive mine tomorrow if you’d like.

21. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Anderson South Carolina.....the South Carolina Back country., this area is not unlike North Alabama. Suburban, hills and mountains, valley roads, plenty of 2 lane driving and all in all really old car friendly.
    In my opinion you have areas you can run the banger pretty much stock and enjoy it. With that said I think the V8 stock gives you more options and is more suited to modern traffic To a point.
    This may be heresy here but I'm somewhat weary of the 32 "hotrod". If it were me I would really embrace the 1930s with those engine choices. I would just go Early , more stock. If you go V8, think more Bonnie and Clyde rather than the The Beach Boys "Little Duece Coupe".

I might contact Van Pelt or at least read over his site for transmission options.

Lastly, I had 2 later Model Business Coupes a Ford and a Chevrolet. The Ford with a V8 was much more viable car and fun to drive in traffic.

22. The oil looks good but we can't get the car to idle or run good enough to drive it at this time,I'll have to wait and see how it runs after the carburetor is rebuilt. HRP

upload_2018-2-20_9-57-56.jpeg

3W JOHN, ladyhrp, Nobey and 1 other person like this.
  23. BJR

BJR

Why not buy the 37 flathead, with the plan of selling it on the auction site or an ad, swap meet, for way more then you paid for it, to finance more mods or different flathead for the 5 window?

24. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Man that banger really looks good setting in there.
    Have you guys checked the compression yet Danny?

25. I have a set of front motor mounts

26. Chris,I'll keep that in mind. HRP

27. No, we haven't. HRP

28. 2935ford

2935ford

Danny, my 2cents.........
    I have had all these........Model A 4, Model B 4, 59A, 8BA, and early SBC 265, 283, 327, mid 70's 350.
    Had my stock running A banger for 2 summers.......set up nice but an older engine.......top shakey speed was 45mph.
    Even on back roads had to pull over to let "normal" traffic by.
    My Model B from my 32 pickup was too expensive to rebuild and no local Babbitt folks..
    My 59A mild build runs great and I enjoy it a lot and has been relatively trouble free (condenser issues). Rebuild cost $1800
    My 8BA also a mild build and another good runner. Rebuild cost was $1800. No longer have it.
    My 265 .125 over another great engine. Rebuild cost $1500. No longer have it.
    My 283 .030 over just waiting to finish the hot rod build. Rebuild cost $1500.
    My 327 was cracked and not repairable.
    My 350 .060 over another great motor. Rebuild cost $1500.
    So many folks told me to stay away from flathead motors. Why I don't know but I have really liked both of them.
    My SBC so far are as good as my flatties but the difference being....SBC parts around here are at the local parts store not so much on the flatties.
    I have several friends with A motors and they are always frigging with them when we go on a run but to be fair none of them have spent the time or money to do a real rebuild and that is due to not being able to find local Babbitt folks.
    Long story short.........any engine going forward for me will be early SBC.

29. At this point I don't care about speed or driving the car on the Deuce run but would like to play with it around town before I go hog wild.

To be perfectly honest,I'm leaning toward the sbc in the future,the main reason being financial and the availability of parts. HRP

30. IMG_2064.JPG IMG_2066.JPG
    One or the other!:rolleyes:

3W JOHN, ladyhrp and Hamtown Al like this.