Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Top Ten kustom icons of your youth

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 'Mo, Feb 1, 2018.

1. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

saw this one at Lodi about 1975 when I was 15. I had never seen anything like it as there was nothing like this being covered in magazines at the time. all I knew was that it was extra cool. 40 years later it still gives me wood.
    scan0018.jpg

loner2, BigO, Dragginwaggin and 5 others like this.
  2. 'Mo

'Mo

John Lee Williamson noted the Grabowski T in an early post. I feel it deserves special mention.

Seeing that most here apparently hail from more recent times, you may not realize the impact this car had on the emerging "counter-culture" scene, of which rods and customs were so representative. It went on to be leased by Hollywood for the TV series ,"77 sunset Strip", and known as the "Kookie Car" (for the hip, youth character that drove it, Ed "Kookie" Kooksun.) At that time, there were no "Fad T's".
    John also mentioned former "Mousketeer" 'TV Tommy' Ivo's T, which followed soon after (in much refined fashion), and was featured in some Hollywood "B" movies. But Grabrowski had already done the damage, with
    outrageous body rake, pipes, lots of carbs, buckets of chrome, and colorful flame laden paint.

[​IMG]

(BTW, Grabowski himself had a small part in the fore-mentioned "High School Confidential" film, as one of the high school heavies.)

For those interested, here is a short article on both "T"s.
    https://selvedgeyard.com/2009/05/24/the-great-1950s-t-bucket-rod-rivalry/

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    loner2, Torchie and loudbang like this.
  3. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

In 1979, our family took a trip to Minneapolis MN. One of the stops was the NSRA nats to see Street Rods. I was 9. That`s when I saw Lee Pratts 41 Buick Lowrider. The first car I had seen with hydraulics. It was my favorite car at the show. Somewhere I have a pic of it from that show. 8 years later I had hydraulics installed on my car when I was 17. Lee was from Des Moines, about 2 hours from our hometown. Only went there for state basketball playoffs and the state fair. Lee was a legend in my book back then. 4 years later I saw his Buick in Kansas City Scan0600.jpg Scan0601.jpg , A very slick looking late model to say the least..

loner2, 54delray, 'Mo and 1 other person like this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well you learn real quick that your old fart status is upheld when half the cars shown weren't customize until you were in your 40's but they were fresh when the poster was young.
    As far as influential from my youth The Rod &Custom Dream truck is high on the list even though it was wrecked about the same time I became a teenager.
    Favorites. Red Rage that Paul Harper restored but is now lavender and in the Portland area. I saw that car at a Seattle show the year before it was sectioned and then the next year after it was sectioned. My Blue Heaven 59 Ford. Another one I saw at early shows. The Bare End a 56 I think F100 that was white with canted quads that was in shows in the PNW in the early 60's and driven on the street around Renton Wa. Moon Glow Chevy. Still one of my all time favorites.

5. Surprised it didn't make the first page. Built in his driveway. CCC-duane-steck-moonglow-chevy-12.jpg

02-duane-steck-moonglow-1954-chevrolet-bel-air.jpg

6. aircap

aircap

I grew up in the 60's and 70's, so my custom influences were informed by Hot Wheels, model cars, and Hot Rod Magazine. Starbird and Stuckey were local, so they loomed large. Ed Roth, Barris, and Bill Cushenberry were in the thick of it. My thing as a youth were cars like Lil Coffin, Silhouette, Beatnik Bandit, all those crazy Monogram models, the Batmobile, Predicta, and the like. The more radical, the better. Mercs didn't happen for me until later.

'Mo and loudbang like this.
  7. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

All of these are some cool rides, but since I was a child in the sixties, I always dug Cushenberry's Silhouette. And as a teenager in 1977, it was on the cover of one of our refinishing manuals at Tri County JVS, Nelsonville, Ohio. I knew at that moment I had picked the right career for me. The paint on it on the cover was like a magic mirror, and I couldn't wait for the day when I could paint like that.

'Mo and loudbang like this.
  8. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

@Mr48chev I was around when Paul Harper brought his Buick to the KKOA show in Springfield Illinois in 87. Kool car to say the least. I also the fresh clone of the El Matador there too. Later on I saw the Rod and Custom Dream truck. Seeing them in person for the first time is something you don`t forget. No matter how long ago it was. Here are some pic`s. Scan0605.jpg

9. This is a 58 Chevrolet custom from the central N.Y. area.
    I have seen the car around for about ten or fifteen years, but never been able to catch up with the owner.
    It always stood out because most cars in this area are Boyd or Chip style.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

loner2, 54delray, UNSHINED 2 and 3 others like this.
  10. 'Mo

'Mo

It's been eye opening for me too., Mr48chev.
    Growing up on the East Coast when I did, most of my exposure was from West Coast publications and Hollywood "B" movies. (As well as a handful of East Coast little pages.)

I was aware of the influence TV cars had in subsequent years, but was relatively naive as to the interest generated by the large custom gatherings in the nation's heartland during the Eighties. (Although the "What Ever Happened to.......?" thread has provided some insight.)

I guess it's just a matter of time before some HAMB builds make the list. (Deservedly.)
    But then again, I guess most of us who find their way here are already 'bent'! :D
    "And the beat goes on...!"

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    loner2, 54delray, Moriarity and 2 others like this.
  11. 'Mo

'Mo

I believe that to be an older build, Robert, as I remember it from early magazine coverage.
    (I seem to remember it in maroon (?), and definitely without the Connie kit.)
    Although my memory is somewhat sketchy on the past details, I'm certain that it is the same car.
    And I think it looks even better, as pictured!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    loner2, 54delray and loudbang like this.
  12. I have a feeling its an old build but I have never been able to catch up with the owner to find out the history.
    There is always a big vintage car show trophy in the back seat.

loudbang and 'Mo like this.
  13. I'd like to narrow it down to some cars i've seen in person, there are too much customs on the globe to only pick ten.... Trip to OSW 2017 635.JPG Trip to OSW 2017 748.JPG Blue-DanubeFP.jpg Claudi und ich 002.jpeg

just some samples of my fav's, of course i'd like to mention Dirty Napkins cars, Roger o'Dells Zephyr and many others. so many great builders here.

loner2, 54delray, Squablow and 6 others like this.
  14. 'Mo

'Mo

Geez! I'd SLEEP in this beauty!

[​IMG]

loner2, 54delray, Moriarity and 4 others like this.
  15. KustomLincolnLady

KustomLincolnLady

Not considered Icons I suppose, but some of what got me hooked on Kustoms IMG_0006v.jpg IMG_0009.jpg IMG_0010.jpg IMG_0036.jpg IMGxx (2).jpg

loner2, 54delray, pitman and 3 others like this.
  16. KustomLincolnLady

KustomLincolnLady

I forgot this one IMG_0043.jpg

loner2, 54delray, pitman and 5 others like this.
  17. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-2-6_4-14-51.png 1963
    Hello,

It was not a dream car in a magazine from back east or anywhere. It was in our own cruising grounds of Long Beach, CA. Back in 1961-62, we saw a cool looking 58 Impala at some local car shows in Long Beach. It had the blue with silver scallops and custom, Halibrand wheels. Did it ever, stand out at those shows? We were lucky when we talked to Mox Miller at those shows. That Impala was a car load of ideas for my black 58 Impala.

By this time, the drag racing in the A/Stock class was over, so the only racing for our black Impala was the sometimes, street race or two. Custom ideas popped up after seeing what could be done to an Impala. We already had 6 red taillights and the chrome stuff on the 348, plus the left over racing stuff, including quad, chromed, scavenger pipes. That Mox Miller blue, scalloped Impala had stuff that would have been nice on our Impala. (471 dual quads, etc.) But, we were still teenagers with limited budgets.

Jnaki

The closest thing that was similar to that cool blue, show quality, Impala was a set of custom wheels. I bought a 5 wheel set of 56 Buick Skylark wire wheels a friend had for sale. Now, our 58 Impala was as custom as a daily, street cruiser can be. But, that 348 motor with the 471 supercharger was just something that was out of reach.
    upload_2018-2-6_4-17-51.png one of a kind
    upload_2018-2-6_4-18-16.png
    Rodders Journal
    upload_2018-2-6_4-19-4.png
    Rik Hoving photos
    upload_2018-2-6_4-20-2.png upload_2018-2-6_4-20-18.png
    upload_2018-2-6_4-20-41.png upload_2018-2-6_4-20-54.png
    upload_2018-2-6_4-21-11.png upload_2018-2-6_4-22-20.png
    upload_2018-2-6_4-22-39.png

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    loner2, 54delray, pitman and 3 others like this.
  18. R Pope

R Pope

First version of "Moonglow" is #1 on my list, surprised it took till page 2 to show up here.

54delray, loudbang, 'Mo and 1 other person like this.
  19. KustomLincolnLady

KustomLincolnLady

This needs to come to Custom Car Revival! Beautiful

Sent from my SM-G935V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. pitman

pitman

G. Barris: Invader
    invader.jpg

loner2, loudbang and 'Mo like this.
  21. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Really cool. Just think how many other "oldies but goodies" customs are tucked away
    in garages across the country........unknown

Lou kriger, 'Mo and loudbang like this.
  22. 'Mo

'Mo

Coincidentally, I was just reading on KUSTOMRAMA about someone who found an old Lincoln custom in a barn and bought it for $275. He and a his buddy threw the worst flame paint job ever on it, and raffled it off at their local cruise. They later found out that it had magazine history, then saw it for sale in Hemmings for $35,000!
    Story HERE: https://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Tony_Bruskivage's_1952_Lincoln

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    loner2, williebill and loudbang like this.
  23. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

In 1983, we went to the Leadsleds in Springfield Ohio. There was a 54 Ford Vicky that was forsale. I fell in love with that car. And that bodystyle. It was only about $4500. I was a lot short. I dreamed about that car(and still do). A year later, we met Gary Howard. He had this in Des Monies in the 84 KKOA show. He was originally from the Logan, Dunlap area. Then moved closer to Council Bluffs and worked in Malvern Iowa for a bit. Much later he would finish building a 54 Ford for Jimmy Vaughn similar to the 54 I saw. I talked his brother(Paul) into going to Salina with us to see Gary inducted in the KKOA Hall of Fame. Paul took a car similar to mine. Scan0622.jpg Scan0623.jpg

loner2, 54delray, Sancho and 2 others like this.
  24. 'Mo

'Mo

Don't get your hopes up. I see that the picture was posted from Germany!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    loner2, 54delray, stanlow69 and 2 others like this.
  25. ....and the car rolls through Sweden, so you'll have to come over to see

54delray and 'Mo like this.
  26. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I don't remember Lil John being part of that group. My favorite is Ron Courtney's X-51, built about 35 miles from me. The thing that sets it apart from many, is the fact he used a minimal amount of parts from cars to make the transition. Instead, he fabricated the grille, tail lights, and fins using flat steel, along with some modified Oldsmobile parts from the dealership where he worked. I fell in love with this car, seeing when I was eleven in 1959. I took these pics out in front of my shop in the middle 80's, when John Corno owned for the second time. It was a treat to get to work on it ! IMG_1612.JPG IMG_1614.JPG IMG_1617.JPG

loner2, 54delray, stanlow69 and 4 others like this.
  27. 'Mo

'Mo

A true icon, as noted.
    I always felt that grille work on the leading edge of the fin was genius.
    I understand that this was Courtney's one and only custom car? Too much!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    loner2, 54delray and Sancho like this.
  28. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Yeah this is one of the ones that captured my imagination. I thought Duane Steck was almost a genius. For a young guy, he had a great eye. Still inspired by the “Moonglow” and many others already mentioned here. Great thread!

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

54delray and Sancho like this.
  29. I was born in '61 and these were the kustom icons from my youth:

Wacky.jpg

loner2 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  30. ccc-hub-harness-60-buick-02.jpg
    Top of my list. Hub Harness' Buick.

loner2, 49toad, 54delray and 3 others like this.