Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Good eye. Im impressed someone caught that. We did it that way due to one wheel having too much corrosion in that area. The lip was sanded off in a big surfacing machine.

2. 20180219_200901.jpg 20180219_200939.jpg 20180219_200952.jpg 20180219_201015.jpg 20180219_201038.jpg 20180219_201131.jpg The stage five intake showed up today. I ordered it back in december to my specs. I wanted a manifold with a double drilled deck so i can put the blower were i want. Huge hp gains can be made with the blower position. It can really balance out the fuel distribution. I wanted the ability to have up to three port nozzles. They still have the records on the heads intake port size on file. I had them cnc match the manifold ports to my heads. The manifold has two burst panels. one on each end. If there should be a back fire on nitro the panels blow out. That way the manifold wont break and the blower wont go flying. I also wanted o-rings around the intake ports and blower surface. Maintainance is much easier without traditional gaskets. The last thing is the deck surface. Compare the new stage five manifold to the old keith black manifold. The opening on the kb is designed for a 14-71 blower. I run a 8-71 blower. To make the kb work a adaptor plate must be used. It not a huge deal and i have used them before im just trying to make this as easy to work on as possible. The stage five has as smaller opening and multiple o-ring grooves for different size blowers and their position. This eliminates the need for the adaptor plate. the kb would also need the adaptor plate if i wanted to move the blower. This manifold gives me safety and the flexibility i need for my engine. Race cars dont run in the rain but street cars do. I will put a small bead of silicone between the ports o-rings in case i get caught in the rain. I think water could get in the engine if i dont. This manifold is a serious piece. Im very impressed the way it turned out.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    chryslerfan55, bobwop, enloe and 7 others like this.
  3. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Can you explain the double drilled deck (what does this mean?) and blower positioning (where and why?)

Great job as always!

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  4. good question. the roots blower by its design puts more air into the front cylinders. to get the air fuel ratio correct the front cylinders need richer nozzles. moving the blower back helps correct the imbalance. this way the cylinders are more evenly matched and making equal power. my friend roger was the first to experiment with moving the blower back on the dragster engine years ago. after the car was kicking everyones ass guys started asking who are these guys from iowa. it took a while for them to figure out what was going on. someone from john forces team eventually figured it out. two weeks later force had his blower back. soon everyone was moving the blower back. look at todays big show cars and were they have the blower mounted. the children of the corn really pulled one over on every one for years.

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

That a nice piece.
    Have you tried the sealer?
    It may be easier to clean off if you have to get that far in it.
    20180219_212205 (2).jpg

6. i might drill a third set of holes in the deck and move it back more. with a 426 i don't have the distributor in the way.

chryslerfan55, enloe, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  7. i use the right stuff or it might be called good stuff by permatex. it comes in a can and comes out like cheese wiz. a quick swipe with a razor blade and its gone. its not effected by nitro or alcohol.

chryslerfan55, enloe, Gammz and 4 others like this.
  8. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Which way is the front on the manifold? I thought the black plug was on the front, but after reading your explanation and seeing that you can only go in one direction to move the blower back I think it's the other way.
    When you move it that much, doesn't it open up a gap on the front side?

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  9. rooman

rooman

The oil fill plug is at the rear of the manifold. Look at the spacing between the two sets of blower stud locations--the shift is not that great and as Brian notes the opening is a lot shorter than the one for the 14 on the original manifold.

Roo

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. when I pulled it out of the box I had to look at it twice to figure it out. i think the second burst panel at the rear is causing the confusion. the back of this manifold doesn't resemble any thing I have ever seen. if the oil plug was at the front it would interfere with the distributor. only very current intakes made for racing have a solid deck that allows for custom blower placement. if you look back at the kb intake its cast in a way that there is no material to add extra holes. normally a intake manifold is not much to talk about. I thought I would include a couple of pics and a explanation because this is kind of unique to whats normally seen on the hamb. this kind of new technology is fairly standard for todays blown engines. im continually trying to blend my nitro experience with my street car experiences to come up with a combination that's a true street and strip car. we tend to think a little out side of the box to reach our goals. to me that's true hot rodding.

11. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

that is quite the piece. Not your typical $800 swap meet blower intake manifold....

chryslerfan55, racer-x and loudbang like this.
  12. Now I know the difference between building a Hot Rod and a Rocket Ship !!! :D

13. 20171226_103041.jpg is anyone going to drag fest this weekend in schaumburg il. its always a good time. its a racing trade show and swap meet. i always find something good.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    chryslerfan55, bobwop and loudbang like this.
  14. I wish... Only 3500 miles separates us and that shouldn't be a challenge for a drag fan. Instead I'm thinking maybe I could come over to drag week and see you run, but that woman living in this house is not cheering for my thinking. At least not yet.

15. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Who da boss? Leave her home..

16. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Do like I do and ask her, "are you going with me or am I going alone"? :D

Hemi Joel, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  17. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

18. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

19. drag week registration is next week Saturday high noon. im heading to Detroit to my sons house. we planned on hitting the auto rama early on Saturday. those plans have been changed. we need to be at the computer when the light turns green. im already feeling stressed. last year it sold out in six minutes. several guys I know couldn't get registered fast enough. its a race to get into the race.

20. loudbang

loudbang

Good luck on a fast reaction time. :)

racer-x likes this.
  21. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

loudbang likes this.
  22. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

23. the real pressure is on my son. im a one finger typer. he is fast on the key board so he will be doing the registration for me. the thing to do is have all of your information laid out that is required in front of you. success favors the prepared.

24. im bringing some nitro for his computer. im going 99 percent.

25. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

It works for me....

loudbang likes this.
  26. squirrel

squirrel

I got the 1 number twice...nothing to it! :)

(yeah, I cheated, I placed the previous year, so I got the early registration opporunity. But it's still a race)

27. in 2016 I had 3 devices constantly refreshing from one minute before go time and barley got in.
    The good news is if youre on the wait list and show up you will get in, but tech will be a nightmare.
    Good Luck.

loudbang likes this.
  28. If you are on the wait list then you have to wait until everyone else goes through tech first. Its dark out by the time they get done. Not to mention sitting all day in the hot sun. Starting the event with a short nights sleep and sun burned would not be good.

29. squirrel

squirrel

on the plus side, you have all day at the track to finish building your car. Lots of expert help and spare parts available!

30. Been there.

loudbang and enloe like this.