Register now to get rid of these ads!

who's your hero?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tomslik, May 2, 2006.

1. tomslik

tomslik

with all the racers dying, do we have any current racing heros?
    i can't think of any:(...

2. maud

maud
    from Maud,Tx

My heros dang sure ain't racers! My grandpa, who served in WWI, my dad, who served under Patton in WWII, and all our current sevicemen (and women) who are willing to put their lives on the line for our freedom! Without these heros there would be no hot rods or racers.

3. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

At the risk of being called a Mama's boy, I'm gonna say my hero's my Mom. She went through cancer...chemotherapy and radiation treatments...and she's never missed a day of teaching her third grade class...never slowed her down a bit...I hope I have that kind of strength when I need it...

4. tomslik

tomslik

i think you guys missed the point....
    we all have our heros but i WAS talking racing....

5. stan292

stan292

The Greek! Chris Karamasines is STILL plugging away in NHRA top fuel - and he's doing it without corporate backing. Admittedly, he's a second-tier competitor, but the fact that he's in his 70's and still at it makes me think he qualifies as a current racing "hero".

6. TINGLER

TINGLER

hahaha...

Is Spongebob Squarepants a race car driver? ;)

7. I guess my real hero died a couple of years ago. He spent more time building and tunning than raceing but he had a helluva gas roadster/altered in the latter '50s and early '60s.

Not likely you ever heard of him, he wasn't one to stand in the limelight. He was called a lotta things by the folks that really knew him, but mostly known by his initials, JC.

Well nuff said I guess. I'm probably going to tell more than you wanna know. Don't know if I hit what you were after, especially since JC wouldn't be considered a modern hero and I'm not sure what kinda raceing you're after.

8. Rusty

Rusty

Connie Kalitta for the drag racing side

9. Frank

Frank

If we are talking strictly racing or those that contributed to racing...in no particular order

Don Garlits
    Richard Petty
    Bob Glidden
    Carroll Shelby

10. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Richard Petty

11. stan292

stan292

tomslik -

Are these guys still missing the point - or am I just a butthead?

Garlits, Petty, Glidden, Shelby, Kalitta, etc, are INVOLVED IN racing - but they aren't actually racing. Aren't you looking for active racers?

12. tomslik

tomslik

frank, you kinda got the idea BUT those guys are in the past.
    who NOW is doing anything for the sport?
    (btw, i'm including ALL forms of racing)

damn, butch leal was one of MYfavorites

13. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

If we are talking Drag Racing, my more popular choices would be Don Garlits, Warren Johnson and Wally Parks. The Drag Racers that I look up to the most are the 2 that I’ve studied under: A-Fuel Gods Dana Hopewell and Steve Watson.

14. I pretty much quit worshiping celebs when I was in highschool.

So no I have no modern heros. I used to like John Force after a race but that was because he reminded me of someone I went to highschool with. Now he's got a hair cut and mellowed a bit and he's no fun to watch.

15. David Pearson
    Jim Hall
    Juan Fangio
    Don Garlits
    Gille Villenueve
    Jackie Stewart
    Mario Andretti
    Paul Tracy
    Bobby Rahal
    and a whole lot more that I can't think of right now.

16. I always liked chicks
    Retro- Shirley Muldowney
    Mod- Danica Patrick
    Both, not only sexy but, jumped down off the porch and ran with the big dogs.

17. LDNFAST

LDNFAST

shirley Muldowney

18. ...

Attached Files:

19. Speed Racer

Speed Racer
    from South

20. tomslik

tomslik

not really but i guess what i'm after is, when the new guys start dying of old age (i hope), is anybody gonna give a shit?
    they just seem like a bunch of corporate whiners to me.
    i just don't see the likes of Ronnie Sox, Bob Glidden, Richard Petty,Lee Shepard ,etc. in 'em...
    and it's pretty fucking sad...

21. tomslik

tomslik

sorry p+beaner, maybe "hero" is too strong a word and i sure as hell don't worship anyone(well, maybe my wife.......nawwwww)
    but damn, i'm glad i'm not you....;)

i was REALLY hoping Scotty Cannon was gonna show force a thing or two but, alas....it wasn't to be...

22. No heros. Most respect to those who have turn both right and left during the race.

23. Appleseed

Appleseed

Any airplane nuts know who Steve Whitman is? [​IMG]

325 mph on 475 hp. Nuff said.

24. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Red Farmer F-97 Bobby Allison 312 Donnie Allison 88 Davey Allison 28 Freddy Fryar 14 Friday Hassler 39

25. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

Up until that new movie came out all my Hero's had been Cowboys---

Grew up around alot of the Old Racers, Know a bunch of the current ones, all were more mentors that Hero's.

There are more every day heros then we'll ever know about; the 4 year old that calls 911 when Momma is laying on the floor not saying anything, the neighbor that rushes into a burning house before the Firedepartment gets there and rescues someone, and a lot more Unsung individuals.

For your original question, some of them may even be racers.

26. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Arnie "The Farmer" Beswick

27. I always had respect for those guys who wrenched on their own cars,then climbed in and drove them!Besides bracket racers,the only ones left are the Bonnaville guys.Garlits,Glidden,Kalitta,even John Force,because he built an empire from nothing.Gene Berg was a guy who did it all,he made bugs go faster than anybody when I was racing in my teens.

28. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

anyone who doesnt race nascar. carroll shelby he doesnt race still. he is the coolest anyone who races in overalls is rad. and he gots his own chili.
    [​IMG]

29. 49 Fleetline

49 Fleetline
    from NorCal

Dale Earnhardt sr. (big e)

30. As above, I don't know about "hero", but I sure dig Steve McQueen. He was real, and loved motorcycles, but mainly he loved to dirt ride with everyday people. And I love me some dirt ridin. :)

David Pearson, Cale Yarborough & Richard. Back when drivers were men, and stock cars had bench seats & window cranks.

Hero ?..... that'd be my dad, 50 missions in a B-17 WWII, T-Sgt. radio op / waist gunner. Not many guys threw the dice 50 times and didn't crap out. The Memphis Belle guys they make such a do about only done 25.