Register now to get rid of these ads!

beer bottle fuel gauge

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adam_wakeley, May 2, 2006.

1. adam_wakeley

adam_wakeley
    from Louisville

Looking to make an inline fuel gauge out of a beer bottle. Have seen it done but can't quite figure out how to make it actually work. Seems like it would be more like when the bottle starts going empty better get gas. My car has a fuel cell-so no gauge. Anyone have any ideas?

2. Muttley

Muttley

Much easier and not as goofy looking.

[​IMG]

3. Nice Muttley! Clean and simple. I hope you don't mind if I steal that ideafor my beer keg tank!

4. burger

burger

muttley- i use those at work for r&d testing new gearboxes. mcmaster-carr sells a kit with ptfe tubing and pipe fittings that holds up real well at temperature. they also have brass "sight glass tubes" (punch it into thier search engine) that would look peroid perfect and be very fuctional. if i remember correctly they're in the $30 range.

hth,
    ed

5. LoBrow

LoBrow
    from MI

We use a lot of those sight glasses/tubes on dyno heat exchangers at work. Works effectively and is a sure bet to let the opertator know when coolant is needed. I would also say go with the sight tube instead of the glass bottle.

6. The optical site glass is an Old Piper Cub and Cessna style fuel gauge that was readily visible for the wing tanks... "Good Hotrod Idea"...!

However use pastic fuel tubing if you plan on running it at the track because
    "No Glass is Allowed" on the fuel systems...!

7. Muttley

Muttley

Nope.....I stole the idea from a truck I saw at Paso a couple of years ago.:D

8. 49 Fleetline

49 Fleetline
    from NorCal

a buddy of mine did that with his dodge brothers pickup, had the fuel tank out back and the beer bottle on the side, just had a tube coming from the top and bottom with a hole cut in the bottom and a hole cut in the cap he sealed the connections up with some glue that his dad makes, very good stuff seals rock hard:cool: