Register now to get rid of these ads!

B&W photographs. "Hot Rod Culture

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by smalltownspeed, May 2, 2006.

1. smalltownspeed

smalltownspeed

Here are some photos from a project that Ive been working on. On top of taking the pictures, I do all of my own processing, printing, and matting. Oh, and this is an on going project.

The “Hot Rod Culture” is the theme of my project. I wanted these photographs to capture real character, in the cars, in the people and in the places.

You won’t find any shinny new cars, not many shinny old ones either. No spotless shops on the nice side of town, or cliché 50’s diners and poodle skirts. No cars built with a checkbook, and no trailer queens either. No electronic fuel injection, traction control or anti-lock brakes, and some of the cars you might be hard pressed to find disk brakes or seat belts.

That’s a lot of things you won’t find in these photographs. But what you will find is real character. You’ll find guys who are a little rough around the edges, not unlike the cars they build. You’ll find cars that are built with real craftsmanship, and blood, sweat, and maybe even a few tears. Cars that are built right, and are full of history and tradition. Cars that are driven daily, and ones that are driven coast to coast, some cars that are down right dangerous, and others that are just driven that way. You’ll find the “hole in the wall” shops and the 2 car garages. The country roads and the highways, and the sometimes less than legal activaties that take place on them. You’ll find the run down drive in’s, the “no tell” motels, undisturbed junk yards and much more. But most importantly, you’ll find the hot rod culture, and in my opinion, the people, places and events that define it.

I daily drive a 6v, 6 cyl, 4 wheel drum 54' bel-air, take black and white pictures with film, and my computer knowledge is kinda stuck in the past too, so you might have to have paticence with me while I try to get these up loaded and looking decent on here. There all printed on 8x10 or 11x14, but I cant seem to get the file size small enough to fit on here and still look decent.

Here are the first 2. I might have to get some one to help me put em up here if I cant get em to look good.

Thanks,
    Cory

Attached Files:

2. smalltownspeed

smalltownspeed

And let me know what yall think. Id consider puttin something up in a HAMB auction if theres enoght intrest

Also, Ive got a few prints for the people whos shops Ive shot at, Ill get em to yall first chance I get.

Attached Files:

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

very nice man...

4. Terry O

Terry O

I'd dodge the light under the sign a little more in the first one Cory. Your eye goes there first and the car should be the focus. I like that it isn't static though. MHO.

5. Special Ed GT

Special Ed GT
    from Denver-ish

Very nice work. I esp like the garage scene.

6. smalltownspeed

smalltownspeed

I agree with you. Scanning it made it even harsher. All of these scans look like ass, and then makin the files tiny messes up stuff even more. Thats one of the images thats currently on 8x10 r/c, and Im gonna try to get it on to 11x14 fiber while I still have dark room acess this semester, so Ive got a chance to perfect it.

Here are a few more. Keep the feedback commin.

Attached Files:

7. Beautiful pictures!!! I really like this one because these are the same wheels I have on the front of my '56 gasser and I want these for the back!!!

Attached Files:

8. THESE ARE NICE
    You must be patient enough to get these items worked into a good framed grouping.

In these photos its a clear head that figures the composition frame placement and the content and lighting ... and theme

the old movie thing where a guy holds up his hands to frame the view is a sure way to get what you want in the pic to start save film and makes you think final view.

Sometimes some magazines get a little to artsy for there subjects (cars)when we the customer/subscriber wants build details not glamour.. so sit a while in the midst of these nostalgic views and you will find the best way to capture them

Your doing great . keep going with the film while you can still find it and the stuff to do the developing
    I have hundreds of old 30's pics from a couple of collections ... some just the rolls of 35MM negs never been printed of races, stunt shows ,accident scenes and sideshow acts.. I need to have about 500 contact sheets done I just keep puttin it off $$$$$$$ as the list of placesto do this work gets smaller
    I even have tried scanning and reversing the images without much success..

best of luck to ya

paperdog

9. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

so bad ass. i love these pics. beautiful work, Cory.

-scott noteboom

10. daddyo54

daddyo54
    Member Emeritus
    from Denison Tx

What no poodle skirts?So does that mean when you come up to my shop to shoot I can't wear mine?:(:) Very cool stuff man keep it up.

11. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

Nice... makes me wanna go shoot some film.. it's been a good while... more reason to, now that I've misplaced my digi.

12. michael037

michael037
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm lucky to be able to successfully turn the camera on, and have no hope in taking anything like these! Very nice work. show us more.
    Thanks
    Michael

13. OLDSKEWL61

OLDSKEWL61

dig it man you sure got a good eye

14. chrisman

chrisman

Cool to see that someone still cares for proper film and fiber base prints, nothing beats that in my world. You got a good sense for composition and a good idea with what you want to accomplish, your style will develop further as you work with your subject. My best tip is to bring people closer to the camera, or vice versa.

Good luck!

15. smalltownspeed

smalltownspeed

Shooting people is something I need to work on, and want to start focusing on. I think that people, or the right person, can set a photograph apart, and with my theme, people are a crucial. Im considering taking a photo journalisim class this summer, it would be shooting a docoumentry of the county I live in, and I would chose people as my subject(over events, or places).

Come on daddyo, wear that little poodle skit for me...

Ive got some more pics Ill be putting up tommrow.

Thanks,
    Cory

16. 67Imp.Wagon

67Imp.Wagon

Is'nt that one picture that crazy mexican painter that is always wearing a sombrero in most pictures. You get a shot of that and you got somthing.

Nice pics.

17. HoldFast

HoldFast

nice job. I've been doing the same lately. I have a 5 picture series I'm working on right now. I just scanned a few of my recent pictures as well. Tough to get a good scan without loosing the feeling of the photo.

sweet shots. Nice to see that people are still doing the BW, self print stuff. I really dig it. Have plans to build a darkroom in my house.

18. zombie

zombie

those are really cool. very nice.

19. 49 Fleetline

49 Fleetline
    from NorCal

awsome pictures man wish my garage were even half that kleen:D

20. jcruz

jcruz
    from Austin, Tx

if these are the scans, i bet the print is amazingly sharp. Yashica medium format?

21. Crankhole

Crankhole

Talented bastard.

22. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Your pictures are fabulous, give us more! I would hang any (and all) of these in my house!

23. Django

Django
    from Chicago

24. smalltownspeed

smalltownspeed

Here are some more. Ive got just a few more after this to put up here too.

I really wanna re-shoot the one of the bridge, and I know its not car related, but I though yall might dig it. I found that while I was out shootin some of these other ones, I just thought the subject was pretty cool.

Attached Files:

25. smalltownspeed

smalltownspeed

These are the last ones, and some of my favorites too.

Any intrest in a HAMB auction on any of these?

Although Im not shure if Ill have darkroom access this summer, this is an ongoing project. I want to shoot some home builders, 2 car garages, "get togethers", junk yards, racing(legal or otherwise), and more. If you know of anything that my work for my theme, and its within a few hours of Dallas, let me know.

Thanks,
    Cory

For what ever reason I cant get the last image to upload.... I might have to email it to someone and see if someone else has better luck...

Attached Files:

26. ADeSoto

ADeSoto

Nice, really nice. That's a great project you are doing. Glad to see other people into traditional b/w. Here's how I scan my prints for the web: I scan at 300 ppi. Then go to Image Size in Photoshop and set a size (in inches) for the print...say, 4x6 or 5x7.5 which fits pretty well on a screen. On the same dialog box, I set the pixel resolution to 72. (the image will get very tiny on your screen, but don't worry). Then Save for Web. (select jpg and high quality). Hope that helps.

best of luck, and again, nice work!
    Alden
    http://www.desotophotography.com

27. smalltownspeed

smalltownspeed

I dont have photo shop on my home computer, and I only have 56k too.... I have access to photoshop, but havent been able to spend the time to learn it. Im gonna try to get a friend to resize the last one for me.

28. smalltownspeed

smalltownspeed

the last pic is one of my favorites, but I cant seem to get it resized, can I email it to someone on here and have you post it up?

Thanks,
    Cory

29. Stone

Stone

30. InjectorTim

InjectorTim