Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1959 Chevy Apache dash knob removal question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cruiserbuddy, Feb 19, 2018.

1. cruiserbuddy

cruiserbuddy
    from Germany

Hi folks! I am helping a friend with his 1959 Chevy Apache PU truck. So we are trying to get off the dash knobs for the light switches, choke and so on, but no matter what, they won 't come off. They are the black plastic ones. Can anybody help please? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Olli Apache likes this.
  2. inthweedz

inthweedz

Not sure about Chevy, but from memory, their Aussie cousins (Holden) had a small button on the side of the switch, around the back of the dash, .. Pull the switch to the ''on'' position, push in the button, and the the switch stalk should come out..
    The choke button is removed by letting the inner cable go at the carby, and pull it thru..
    Hope this helps/works..

Olli Apache likes this.
  3. Olli Apache

Olli Apache

Thank you so much inthweedz! I am the friend mentioned by cruiserbuddy.
    I will try as described.

4. i am not sure about '59 but the years before that some of the knobs had a small set screw.

Olli Apache likes this.

5. cruiserbuddy

cruiserbuddy
    from Germany

Thanks for the idea, but I am sorry, no set screws.....

6. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A 58 was my first new vehicle. As I recall there is a small spring steel tab on the back of the wiper knob that can be pulled forward which will release the knob. I had a small bent screwdriver that would bring the tab forward as I slid the knob off. I think the light switch had a button opposite of where the wires plug in . The button is pushed down while the knob and shaft pull out. If there is no button look for a tab like the windshield wiper. Its been over 50 years since I worked on a 58 Apache but I think I've given you the right dope. Choke cable has a nut on the back. Has to be disconnected from carb and the cable comes out with the knob.

Olli Apache likes this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

wow, no one knows, do they?

The wiper knob has a set screw. The heater knob (if it has the recirculating heater, with a knob), has a set screw. The light switch has a button you push to release the knob, after pulling the knob out far enough to turn the headlights on. The choke and throttle cables are an assembly, you disconnect it under the hood, then remove the nut behind the dash, which has a 9/16" hex. and pull the whole thing out the dash. The radio knobs have a 3/32" hex set screw.

Saxman and Olli Apache like this.
  8. Olli Apache

Olli Apache

Thank you for all the replies! I will check that and come back, shortly.

9. cruiserbuddy

cruiserbuddy
    from Germany

See, Olli, I told ya, THE HAMB rules!

Olli Apache likes this.
  10. ^ This!

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Olli Apache and spikemd11 like this.
  11. Olli Apache

Olli Apache

Hey guys!
    Again, many thanks for all your helpful replies.

Indeed, some knobs were secured with setscrews and nuts - that wasn't the issue. But the light switch has been more challenging. So the advise with the release-button was the essential thing.

Thank you so much - you are awesome!

And special thanks to cruiserbuddy - good to have such friends!