Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Comp Coupes, All but forgotten?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Robert J. Palmer, Apr 3, 2016.

1. rooman

rooman

[​IMG]

Al Bergler's second hot rod. This mid engine Crossley wagon followed a $50 34 Ford coupe that was converted into a roadster and it used the 392 out of the 34 (and I just called Al and he confirmed that it still had the six carb intake from the roadster). The photo is from the 1959 Nationals in Detroit and the same motor later powered the "Aggravation" AA/C with the addition of a blower. Incidentally Al informed me that he is building another 34 coupe but this one will retain the roof.

Roo

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I think if one doesn't like Franks car you aren't a true blue blooded hot roder.

enloe, Ron Funkhouser and loudbang like this.
  3. rooman

rooman

The Frank as pictured is beyond caring and I have not seen Frank Jr in years but I am sure that Tony and Cruz prefer the correct version.

Roo

chryslerfan55 and Dean Lowe like this.
  4. Most people do. I am rotten with names so I don't bother trying to remember anyone's last name and lost of people just called hey you. ;)

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  5. Frank "The world's fastest Mexican", father of Cruz, Tony, and Frank Jr. has been gone for decades. Killed in the crash of the private plane he was flying.

6. He was also known as "Flamin' Frank" because of this phenomenon that only happened in the heavy night air at LIONS. People that never saw it happen didn't believe it, but I saw it, and it did happen. The rubber collected in the wheel tubs, and then, when the air was just right, the zoomies would ignite it. This was before gasoline fed fire burn outs. The paint on the body around the tires was burned.

[​IMG]

7. I never saw it happen but I never doubted that it was true. I don't recall getting down south much when I was little.

loudbang likes this.
  8. loudbang

loudbang

9. rooman

rooman

10. rooman

rooman

11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Not a drag car. But it could have been. Hank Lashey's Bantam. 261 Wayne Chevy. One of the original Salt Circus crew, Sitting and rotting now I fear. One of my all time favorites. img005.jpg

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  12. loudbang

loudbang

13. loudbang

loudbang

Coupe Deville

comp coupe deville.JPG

Dualie

comp dual.JPG

comp1.JPG

14. rooman

rooman

[​IMG]
    Don Hampton and Eldon Dye's "Too Bad". The car was later rebodied with a Corvette shell when funny cars became more popular than dragsters. It was basically a match race car and ran with American Bandstand sponsorship before being totaled while running in Australia's Ampol New Year Series at Surfers Paradise Raceway in Queensland.

Roo

15. loudbang

loudbang

16. rooman

rooman

[​IMG]
    Eddie Potter's aptly named "Sudden Death" AA/C at Lions where it ended its life (and almost Eddie's as well)

Roo

chryslerfan55 and Dean Lowe like this.
  17. rooman

rooman

[​IMG]

The late George Weiler who raced from 1959 in a series of "Smarty Pants" entries. George was instrumental in helping found Maple Grove Raceway which opened in 1962 and was also inducted into the East Coast Drag Times Hall of Fame in 2004. He passed away in April of 2017.

Roo

Roo

18. Sandman68

Sandman68
    from New Jersey

19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Resented the 'funny cars' replacing them...

loudbang likes this.
  20. loudbang

loudbang

At Sanford Maine

comp4 sanford.JPG

chryslerfan55, 1947knuck and enloe like this.
  21. OK this just screwed up an entire build for me.:eek:o_O:p:D

One of the things that I have never really cared for is that one class seems to have to disappear to make way for another class. I know the field would get too large otherwise, but there should be a way around that.:mad::(

I think what made floppers attractive is that they resembled muscle cars and people could recognize something that they thought they could get off the showroom floor. Now I am wondering if anyone ever campaigned a hot rod looking funny car. :confused:

Tickety Boo and loudbang like this.
  22. loudbang

loudbang

More room for one sitting "up front" LOL

1947knuck, enloe and porknbeaner like this.
  23. I know with no chop and a chanel ( about 4" I have actually measured yet) I sit nearly on the floor and its like being in a heavily hammered A. :D

Problem would be that it would be for one person cruising. No room for a buddy ( well maybe front to back like a bike :D )

saltflats and loudbang like this.
  24. loudbang

loudbang

From Bangkok Dean

1518858645686.jpg

From the web

comp1.JPG

Rebel Rouser

comp2 rebel rouser.JPG

comp3.JPG

25. Comp coupe was an odd class for sure, some comp coups were on the edge of being a drivable car and others were more like a digger with a body stuck on it.

We run a Comp Coupe class at the HAMB drags, it is not like the original class it is more for cars that are just more dragster than they are door slammer, too fast to run in gas coupe/sedan. Not my call but I would seriously love to see some real old time comp coupes running in that class. Maybe someone will see this and bring a couple. ;)

I am trying to figure out what this body is supposed to resemble. Early '50s Chevy maybe?

1518858645686.jpg

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  26. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Need to get Jackson to slap a body on his heap. :D

Tickety Boo and loudbang like this.
  27. I think that was the beauty of Comp Coupe and I am not trying to be offensive to anyone here, you could take a digger throw a body on it and change classes just like that. I remember when Comp Coupes came on the scene (or at least when I first noticed them) asking one of the old timers in the pits about them. He said, "Well those guys were not winning with their digger so they threw a body on it and now they are winning"

Funny the things you remember from when you were a little kid even if they were an exaggeration of the truth a grown up said it. LOL

chryslerfan55, Spoggie and loudbang like this.
  28. loudbang

loudbang

Aggravation

aggravation.JPG

Chicken Coupe

chicken coupe.JPG

The Creeper

comp the creeper.JPG

comp1.jpg

29. I wish I had a pic there was a beautiful candy red comp coupe at the HAMB Drags last August.

30. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri