Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Custom valve covers??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dasheot, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Dasheot

Dasheot
    from Georgia

Hey guys, thought I'd reach out to the H.A.M.B. Gods and see if I can get some answers. I have a 1939 Pontiac as some of y'all may have seen on here before, currently there is a vortec 350 in it which will prob need to be replaced . I'm looking at a 383 . My question is to y'all is this , I'm looking to dress the new motor and found these valve covers on the net but unfortunately the creator passed with cancer . Does anybody know a fabricator that could make these valve covers or something similar of there own creation? Any help would be appreciated . IMG_1796.jpg
    IMG_1491.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

robracer1 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. They look good but I would think it would be real expensive to design and the cast a set. HRP

3. Talk to "1954fordkustom", a member on here. He has introduced some new valve covers 3 or 4 years ago, he might be up to the task.

4. Dasheot

Dasheot
    from Georgia

Yeah I'm with you, but would like to know a cost either way

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. Dasheot

Dasheot
    from Georgia

Thanks 56don

56don likes this.
  6. That wasn't sand-cast, too much fine detail. I'd say that was built with a CAD machine.

7. Tri-Power

Tri-Power
    from Memphis

Those belong to a guy local to me who is very much alive and well. In a past life he was an engineer with pontiac, then owned a well known racing parts company. That valve cover was done in many stages on CNC milling machine powdercoated/painted and milled and painted and milled some more. His aluminum block even has his name cast into it. I can't even imagine what they cost. I bet his car has 10,000 hours in it. He may be interested in doing something one off for you as his home shop is operating room clean and well equipped. I'd be happy to ask him and pass your info to him.

8. Dasheot

Dasheot
    from Georgia

Man that would be awesome tripower. I only said the passing away cause that's the story I got from the website these covers were on, called the company they said they purchased Charlie cooks business because he was sick and eventually passed last year sometime. If your guy is the real guy then first off tell him I said well done sir beautiful valve covers.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not gonna be cheap no matter what but you might contact PML to see if they have a plain valve cover that would be a start for what you want and have a Pontiac design milled into it. https://www.yourcovers.com/index.html
    Take a look at their "specials" there are a couple of sets that one might machine the fins and Corvette script off and redo.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  10. Tri-Power

Tri-Power
    from Memphis

My friend owns the car they are on. Based on Cook's website, they must have made those for him, as well as other custom covers for familiar names. Seems like Cook's would be the place to go, but I'll call him and see. He may know other places as well. I'll let him know you admire his covers. They are on a sweet motor in a pretty sweet car. He's a very private guy, otherwise I'd post some pix.

11. Dasheot

Dasheot
    from Georgia

No prob , I get it completely. I'm trying to achieve the same thing. Sweetness

12. upspirate

upspirate

With these new fangled 3-d printer things, (I know nothing about them) could they be made up in plastic as a cover ,painted,and fastened to/over a conventional steel or aluminum valve cover?

13. Tri-Power

Tri-Power
    from Memphis

I just talked to John Callies who owns the car those valve covers are on. His car is called the Che'Pon 557 (chevy pontiac). It is done up in a Army Air Corps motif. When I first saw this car it was 2007 and looked like this: John Callies' 077.jpg
    He said to go to his website to check out the car. There is a "start" button for Che'Pon 557 which will take you to videos and pix of his car. Here is a preview to motivate you. http://johncalliesinc.com IMG_3969.jpg

egads likes this.
  14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Whatever happened to Johns Simca, coolest little rollerscate, had a 303 c.i. Pontiac engine.
    BTW, I'm proud to say my roadster engine has a Callies rotating assembly, good stuff.

mad mikey likes this.
  15. how 'bout a pair of these? download.jpg

swade41 and 59Apachegail like this.
  16. Dasheot

Dasheot
    from Georgia

There cool could be possibility , rather have my first pic though

17. Kustomman#1

Kustomman#1

59Apachegail likes this.
  18. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

19. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Might be worth an email to Ace. They’ve done some small custom castings for me, pretty nice guys to work with. I’ve got a set of their Mercury covers, they polished out fine.

https://acecustoms.co.nz/

20. robracer1

robracer1

How about custom painted valve covers with the pontiac logo's?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  21. Kustomman#1

Kustomman#1

The later 50's pontiacs had plain covers with cool decals on them I don't have any of those ones to show but I have a set of the embossed ones.

22. 33 cdan man

33 cdan man

I would like to know about the Callies 303 Simca also. I saw this car at the Lodi Mini Nats in the mid 70's tearing up the Streetkahana. That was one "bad ass car". I am curious what ever happened to it.

23. Dasheot

Dasheot
    from Georgia

Hey , kustomman can I see a pic of the embossed covers?

24. Kustomman#1

Kustomman#1

I think I have one of them hanging in my garage I will see if I can get close enough for a picture!

25. Dasheot

Dasheot
    from Georgia

Thanks

26. Tri-Power

Tri-Power
    from Memphis

John's Simca was before I knew him . He is building a Fiat Topolino right now.