Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Starting my '29 Tudor rebuild

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 1stGrumpy, Oct 11, 2015.

1. I checked your profile and found your build thread...

Tim likes this.
  2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I'll have to see it in person, the dutches blue does have a green tint to it but I think these old ford colors look different every time someone else mixes the paint lol

1stGrumpy likes this.
  3. It's August 17, 2017 about 5:00 pm and it finally moves out of the shop under it's own power! No time to test drive and work out the bugs, it's gotta get loaded up and head to Joplin in the morning. I already know that the water pump is leaking and that the left front tire was rubbing when making a hard left. I said that my goal was to take it with me to Joplin for the h.a.m.b. drags and by god it's going! I may not unload it once I get there but it'll be there!!!!!!!!!!!!

90.JPG 91.JPG 92.JPG

before and now.....

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      160.5 KB
      Views:
    • 19.jpg
      19.jpg
      File size:
      135.7 KB
      Views:
    • 88.JPG
      88.JPG
      File size:
      233.4 KB
      Views:
    • 92.JPG
      92.JPG
      File size:
      185.6 KB
      Views:
  4. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Jim, that thing looks perfect! Have fun at the drags!

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Hell yeah!!

6. Thank you, Duncan.

7. Thanks, Tim.

Tim likes this.
  8. Drop looks great. It'll be nice to show it off at the drags

1stGrumpy likes this.
  9. Well, here it is the first week of October and I figured that I ought to do an update.
    I got up to Joplin and never unloaded it from the trailer, still had too much slop in the steering and as I said earlier, the front tires were rubbing on the fender brace's when I turned it hard. It was well received by everyone at the host hotel, I want to thank everyone for the compliment's. Here's a few picture's...
    93.jpg 94.jpg 96.jpg 95.jpg ''

10. I replaced the leaking water pump with a new one but it had a flaw in the casting and it had to be replaced. Synder's got right on getting another water pump out to me, they stepped right up and took care of it. Ended up putting a leaf back in to take care of the rubbing, really can't tell much difference in the stance. Steering box ended up not being what they said it was (surprise, surprise), got all the adjustment out of it I could but still hard to drive. I am trying to decide which way to go... rebuild the 2 tooth box or go with a converted F100 box. Any suggestions?

11. 2935ford

2935ford

28/29 Tudors......my favorite body style.........yours looks great! :)

12. Thank you, they are mine, also.

13. Here's a little update...
    I purchased a, newly cast, banger throttle linkage arm from fourspd2quad and installed it and got the Carter electric fuel pump and regulator back on. Now she's running like she's supposed to!
    97.JPG

I also, bit the bullet and bought a F100 steering box from Mel's Model A Parts and got it installed today. Looking forward to driving it, now.
    98.JPG

I got the rest of the parts that I needed to install my '38 transmission from Clings. I will be tackling that plus swapping the rear end gears in the next few weeks so that I have a little more top end along with easier shifting/downshifting.
    . 77 - 1939 V8 transmission with Clings adapter.jpg

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    kidcampbell71, waxhead and kiwijeff like this.
  14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

15. 28TudorAZ

28TudorAZ

Looking good. Its always nice when you get to take the first run and you actually make it back.

ModelAMitch and 1stGrumpy like this.
  16. Look what turned up in my mailbox this morning. Found this on the 'ol interweb last week, pretty cool! Got it and new pair of clutch and brake pedal rubbers for $10.00 plus the shipping. They'll look good in the '29, eh?

99.JPG

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  17. Update...
    Finally got back to the '29 last weekend, removed the rear end assembly and the transmission and got everything ready to install the '38 transmission. Today I got the adapter and the transmission, with new throwout bearing, 104.JPG
    installed and tomorrow I will get the radius rods, pedals & u-joint/clamshell back in place and then on to the ring and pinon!

It was a bit of a bitch, getting it all out and the transmission back in by myself but with a few bumps and bruises and a lot of cussing, I managed. Funny, 20 years ago I would have done all this in the same weekend, oh well!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    kidcampbell71, waxhead and Tim like this.
  18. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

I love what you've done to your sedan. Thanks for sharing your story.

1stGrumpy likes this.
  19. Just a few things left to do, this round! Got the transmission swap finished up, except for the brake light switch. Haven't figured out how I am going to address it, modify original mounting or go with a universal. May go with a universal motorcycle type switch. Also got the Model T rear spring in, still have to hook up brake rods and shocks. I think it looks much better now, never cared much for ass in the air look! Here's a couple of pictures, I'll get it cleaned up and post some more in a few days...
    . 105.JPG 106.JPG 107.jpg 108.JPG

kidcampbell71, GASSERBOB and Tim like this.
  20. B.t.w., for anybody considering doing a V8 transmission swap, the Clings adapter made it a breeze! I highly recommend it. The hardest part of the swap was finding a '30/'31 emergency brake assembly that would match the rest of the car!

Tim likes this.
  21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looking good!

22. Thanks Tim. Are you going to the StrayKat 500 next month?

23. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

The '28 - '29 gastank faces have their production date stamped about 1" up from the flange and about 6" in from the left side... think it was day/month/year...

24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

No, I’m gonna try to do pete and jakes in May and maybe the hamb drags. Not a lot of big shows this year for me I don’t think

25. GASSERBOB

GASSERBOB
    from USA

You did a mighty fine job on your sedan Grumpy. It turned out nice. Bob..............

1stGrumpy likes this.
  26. This will be my 6th year for the "500", my nephew (tambasher) and his wife meet us there, they live in So Cal still. Not sure if I'm going to do the drags this year, I'm thinking about going to the Hot Rod Dirt Drags and Hot Rod Hill Climb this year.

27. Thank you Bob.

28. I love the style of this car! So simple!

1stGrumpy likes this.
  29. Well it's not cleaned up yet but here are some outside pictures. I like the stance better with the Model T rear spring. 109.JPG 110.JPG 111.JPG 112.JPG