Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 348 TRI POWER

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by B.A.KING, Feb 17, 2018.

1. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I have become the owner of a car with 348/tri-power. it wasn't driven a lot ,so gas sat in it.
    Probably for months at a time.Trying to drive it home, you would give it a little gas, it would stumble and die. Once i got it on highway, it ran fine.Pulled off at exit, give it gas, same thing stumble and die .I got it Thursday , so i haven't even tried to look at it yet. I'm thinking probably something rubber in center carb had dried up/broke. I guess it also could be fuel pump?? I know its hard to diagnose with me not even working on it yet, but any ideas? Where to start?
    My first tri-power car.
    Give me your ideas, please.

enloe likes this.
  2. wvenfield

wvenfield

I'd take them off, clean them and rebuild kits in them. Or you could constantly mess with them. I don't generally recommend this but for someone in your position (someone not doing it for a living or very often) the cheap ultrasonic at Harbor Freight works pretty well for carbs. Fill it with Simple Green.

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

post pics of motor with air cleaner off - since you do not seem to know the full history of this motor start with basics like new fuel and filter, plugs, compression test, etc

4. Probably won't be much of a mystery, once you pull off the top of the center carb.;)

Terrible80, oj and belair like this.

5. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First thing I would do is dump the crappy fuel that was in it and put fresh fuel in. Then change the fuel filter and make sure all the lines are still good. Then throw a complete tune up on it. See how it runs. Then if needed I would rebuild the carbs. You would be amazed what a set of plugs, wires, and points will do for a car.

6. Kool Kat

Kool Kat

What year 348 car? Auto? 2dr or 4dr? The high horse 2dr Impala had a solid lift cam. 4dr tried power usually didn't.

After sitting thaose carbs need a rebuild and to sync them

7. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I'll add this; most of today's gas contains 10-15% alcohol, that is hard on rubber parts, especially those that are't designed to tolerate the alcohol. Old parts, that are subjected to new gas that has alcohol in it, can quickly cause issues. You'll probably have to rebuild all the carburetors, replace the fuel pump and all the rubber fuel lines, then clean out the fuel tank and metal lines. Got your work cut out for you. I'm guessing the car in question is the 59 El Camino listed in your profile? Not a lot of those around. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

8. Terrible80

Terrible80

9. belair

belair

10. What did you get BA? 1958 Impala convertible??

11. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I'll keep it a secret for a while........

enloe likes this.
  12. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Inquiring minds want to know. Hopefully I will get to see it in 4 months:)

13. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Trying to figure out how to get 2 cars to B G...lol

enloe likes this.
  14. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Trailer behind the Elco

15. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I I I I I don't know about trailering this one. At least with the elky

enloe likes this.
  16. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I 2nd the accelerator pump in center carb...

17. elgringo71

elgringo71

I'm thinking Station Wagon

18. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Thats what i'm thinking, and probably 1st thing i do. There are quite a few you tube post on setting up tri power. Must admit i was a little surprised at how many.

enloe likes this.
  19. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

If it is he may quit trying to buy mine:)

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say cleaning the tank, flushing the lines and rebuilding the carbs with kits that work with today's gas would the wise thing to do along with a fresh tune up.
    I've got one rig out here that I need to start and move around the yard that most likely has bad gas in it as it hasn't run in over a year and I don't want to screw things up. Hopefully the tank was almost empty when it was wrecked (with me in it) and not almost full.

21. They are simple carbs
    Speculation only till you get them open.

22. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

One thing i noticed is that the tri power did not have a glass bowl filter on it before the carbs. It may not supposed to have one. For some reason i thought it did, or was supposed to have one. Like i said first time with tri power

enloe likes this.
  23. bchctybob

bchctybob

Like they said, fresh gas and look for a robust squirt in the center carb. Late squirt, weak squirt or No squirt and there's your first problem.......

24. Gman0046

Gman0046

B.A. I had an original 58 Impala 348, 280 HP with factory Tri power and don't remember a glass fuel filter. Is your original with vacuum operated end carbs?

Gary

enloe likes this.
  25. I do believe that the OE set up on 3x2's had that GM glass fuel filter up front near the water outlet. I think you can find it in the Show Cars 348/409 catalog.

26. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Really don't know yet. Just got it Thursday, brought it home put the car cover on it.Car Cover? first for me LOL

enloe likes this.
  27. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I'LL PULL THIS BACK UP.Still playing tri-power. really want to run it and not do the "easy thing and replace it....yet. My main problem was rusty gas tank(replaced) and no in-line filters. Trying to get choke set to run right. I have been told that i should put a manual choke on a tri-power. It is an automatic.What do most of you guys use with tri-power. I just really don't want this thing to beat me. I'm gonna run the T.P. And yeah i know i'm slow. On the up side i did find gas station with no alcohol really close to my house.

enloe likes this.
  28. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I don't know why you'd have to use a manual choke. My '61 Pontiac came from the factory with an automatic choke on the center carburetor, Chevy must have done the same thing.

It normally runs on just the center carburetor unless you're at full throttle (assuming the outer two are operated with vacuum), so in normal use it should be just like any car with a single two barrel.

enloe likes this.
  29. No reason an auto choke wont work. My Ford 6V has auto choke and it works great.
    An auto choke set up and working properly is less hassle than a manual choke.

30. my 348 tri power uses the Auto choke. Works fine, some adjustment for colder weather that is all.