Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical new 94's from China

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deadbeat, Feb 7, 2018.

1. earlymopar

earlymopar

Yes now but it all started with
    They Do know ABOUT the industry but only that some of their customers are selling parts into it but they do not know American hot rodding as part of our culture. They manufacture parts for customers and know that the customers are advertising and selling at SEMA so they also sign up for booths. They hope to find other clients who are interested in off-shore manufacturing. - EM

2. tinsled

tinsled

What do you mean "torx style"? Torx is torx, the screws in the photo are Phillips head screws, right?
    The throttle base looks like it is cast iron, while the carb body itself is "pot metal" as were the originals.
    I'd need to have one to "coon finger" before I'd say anything for manufacturing quality.
    Photo of a part made in Monday in USA may be as bad as a photo of a part made in China ...any day...;)

3. BJR

BJR

What is "coon finger"?

4. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sometimes an export can be good, or at least expected quality. As was stated above it depends quite heavily on the vendor. There's some rather top end manufacturing reps there but you have to be willing to pony up the cost up front for development and QC. Once rolling the product could have merit.

As far as the Walmart snobs coming out, blah, blah, blah. Should I buy at Kohl's for 2X the cost for the same product? How about 9mm Federal, box of 50, $12.99 at Wally World. At the "mom n pop" shop $19.99. For "killing paper" at the range guess where I'm buying it. We traditionalists do well for ourselves to recognize mass marketing and buying power vs BS talking points. In our world one could call Summit the 'Walmart' of hot rod parts.

At the end of all this I have a question. Will the cost of this import unit offset the restoration cost of an existing carb? By that I mean if it's $300 to restore a core can you mix and match the "good stuff" with the import and end up with a good carb that looks new? Any cash savings there?

Spooner Clinton likes this.
  5. wvenfield

wvenfield

Odd thing and something to note.......I just bought a couple steel wheels (needed a certain backspacing). I bought them off Summit. They are Wheel Vintique wheels but I got them less expensive through Summit than direct from W.V.

6. tinsled

tinsled

PTSchram, dana barlow and BJR like this.
  7. BJR

BJR

NowI know what "coon finger" means. Thank you.:D

PTSchram and tinsled like this.
  8. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I hear you lucky Europeans now have 'coons too!
    They're not quite so wonderful as some people believe.

9. tinsled

tinsled

You're welcome, Sir!

Very sorry for leading this off topic, though...
    No, actually there are no raccoons in Finland, I learned the phrase in an american web forum (p15-d24 mopar forum)
    It's so expressive for us car nut's behavior thus I owned it at once.

But really, no coons here. The meanest rascals in my neighborhood are probably my two cats...
    Well, apart from the crows and maybe an occasional visiting lynx. Never seen the lynx but my neighbor claims to have seen one here. Hope the lynx will not meet with my cat... He's in trouble big enough with the crows already.

10. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Appropriate for this thread

HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR TO EVERYBODY

11. fatkoop

fatkoop

I just spit my ice cream all over my computer!

Clay Belt, jvo and Chrisbcritter like this.
  12. Are these a cheap knock off of the Speedway 97s ?

Because the Speedway carbs got shit reviews when they came out.

13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No carbs being produced today...;)

Beanscoot likes this.
  14. deadbeat

deadbeat

Hi guys,,, well,,, I put that carb on today. Fired it up straight of the bat and ran like a champ. I had my mixture screws too far in, but once I got that sorted and it don't leak,, ,yet, lol. I have a video of it running and you can believe me or not its up to you but I will be looking at getting a few more that's for sure. No I didn't play around with that wonky screw.
    Cheers

Stogy likes this.
  15. deadbeat

deadbeat

seems my file is too large to upload, mp4. Any tips on how to get it on here
    Cheers

Stogy likes this.
  16. brsturges

brsturges
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Miami, FL

Put it on YouTube and post a link.

deadbeat likes this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have to register at either Vimeo or Youtube post your video there then paste a link into your post...The other thing you have to do is convert /save the video in a format for posting to whatever site you use.

Deadbeat...you thought the carb was a hurdle...:eek:

deadbeat likes this.
  18. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

No plagiarism for the next 2 weeks while they light the sky up with fireworks

Stogy likes this.
  19. deadbeat

deadbeat

sorry Stogy,,The carb part was the easy bit but this video thing,,,,,,,,, I went onto YT and its in there somewhere, lol

20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Understand your frustration totally...basically if you open an account at Vimeo/Youtube and your video works there linking here is as easy as posting a pic...I have a Vimeo account myself just for the reason of posting here...

Once you have the video there you just click share and copy the link and paste it in your post.

Here's my video with my original Ford script 94's I just clicked share at Vimeo and copied the link and pasted it into post...

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    Blues4U, j hansen and deadbeat like this.
  21. deadbeat

deadbeat

22. deadbeat

deadbeat

Hopefully that got it ,cheers Stogy,,

5window and Stogy like this.
  23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Video works...Perfect sounds just like a Hotrod...good stuff on both accounts​

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    deadbeat likes this.
  24. 5window

5window

Fact or opinion? Have you actually run any or are you being isolationist?

deadbeat likes this.
  25. 5window

5window

No, what it means is that you have proved the point that you can't paint all the products with the same brush. You need to consider each one individually.

26. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the recommendation. Good to see someone who judges things on pure emotion rather than empirical experience.:rolleyes: I'll be basing my decision on that, fer shure!

deadbeat and oj like this.
  27. wvenfield

wvenfield

I don't disagree but when you are discussing something because the price is cheap and the hardware doesn't even fit there can be a correlation based upon past experiences.

28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One other observation and consideration revolving around these carbs. I have a vision of a boatload of boxed original cores going over for rebuild. The inards such as gaskets springs and other hardware may also be sourced internationally. So Chinese input may be mostly cleaning and assembly to documents.

Deadbeat is fortunate to be able to have himself and others to make it right as costs could soon add up.

deadbeat likes this.
  29. deadbeat

deadbeat

My only issue I can see atm with these new carbs is the base is alloy. When I have finished my chores today I will venture out onto the motorway and get it hot etc and see if I can video it for y'all, so stay tuned
    cheers

Stogy likes this.
  30. deadbeat

deadbeat

Maybe so Stogy. I didn't pull it apart to look internally, but it honestly looked like it has been newly manufactured. Heck I don't even know what jets or PV are in there. I did have to swap out the main fuel inlet so I could get my pressure gauge on and man that sucker was tight. Almost too tight and any more may have split the air horn like the originals do from peeps with big mits, lol
    cheers

Kiwi 4d and Stogy like this.