Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Cookie cutter '32 roadster build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Anderson, Jan 19, 2018.

1. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

If you ever try to find my HAMB name on the member list you'll have better luck spelling it DDDenny.:D

2. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-1-21_8-9-48.png
    upload_2018-1-21_8-10-15.png
    Hey A,

The title of the thread is miss-labeled. There is no such thing as a cookie cutter 32 roadster. There are some that are show quality and some that need work to end up like yours. There is no “cookie cutter” format for your roadster. "Anderson’s cool 32 roadster build"…or just "32 roadster build" would better fit the whole thread.

The title, “cookie cutter” came from those home shows that always portrayed a so called “Tract” home. Every other house was a single story, with different facades. Add in the same style 2 story, different facades and there is a whole neighborhood with…”cookie cutter homes.” (in this scenario, cookie cutter is a taste in homes that can be individualized.) Unless you build your own designed home on an empty plot of land, most homes are cookie cutter… Nothing wrong with that. It is how you individualize each home as your budget and taste dictates. It is the same for building a roadster or anything.

As far as a roadster build, yes, they start off and sometimes have the same components. But, each one is different, like yours. It is ending up pretty nice and needs to stand out on its own merits. Not copying anyone, despite how famous the old style roadsters are or were. It has the "LOOK."

Yes, there are a ton of 32 Ford Roadsters, each is a different style and build. Yours is a great build and it is much better than keeping that 5 window coupe. (IMHO)

Cookie cutter? Not in my book, coming from a photographer/writer, and old time hot rodder/drag racer.

Jnaki

The only problem that I see is…it should take time to build, not just yours, but any build. There should be no deadline…like finishing for a show, auction, big community event, etc. We all know it takes time to build anything correctly, so, why be in a hurry to finish. Satisfaction comes with doing it correctly and in a manner to your own tastes and likes.

That smile photo should be the result of a well built project.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Anderson

Anderson

Well...different people have different outlooks. I’m glad you like the car.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Even our own outlook changes, I'm quite smitten with that look.
    There was a time when it had to be finished, all shiny, polished wheels, etc.

5. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

If you were looking at the McMullen 32, 81B01A8E-C1D2-40E7-81A7-5A7DC6B47532.jpeg I’d say that you “NAILED IT!” 5AEE6442-9B1F-43D4-AA00-5D50B49D093D.jpeg Sheer Time-less-ness!!!! As yours sits just a hair lower and looks better ;).

6. Anderson

Anderson

Thanks for that side by side! And yeah, as iconic as that car is, I didn’t want it quite that high. The only thing done to lower the rear was the flattened crossmember. I had reversed the main leaf but ended up putting it back to stock because that was too low! The framerails aren’t notched either.

7. Eric. Welcome back. Missed your posts and input.
    Subscribed

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. Anderson

Anderson

Thanks Dee!

loudbang likes this.
  9. The great one has returned! That is one fine ass 32 roadster, you've knocked it out of the park.

Anderson and loudbang like this.
  10. bct

bct

great car. nice to see you return ,always enjoy your work so thanks for posting.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  11. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I'm glad to see you back here, as well. I like all of the '60s details you've incorporated. Not sure if you mentioned it, but the full length headers hanging below the frame rails is spot on perfect for that era - love it!

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Anderson like this.
  12. flynoe

flynoe

Nice work!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

loudbang likes this.
  13. Anderson

Anderson

Thanks for all the comments guys! Glad you like the car.

Getting the front end cleaned up. Bodyworked the shell, blasted and painted the insert and polished the trim. Straightened out the hood tops and polished the center hinge. Starting on the hood sides next and hope to have it all in primer and back on the car by the end of the weekend.
    5D47A62B-8D2B-478D-8919-1122D8690747.jpeg

14. I really loved your T and this is pretty great too! Love the choices you've made. Bravo!

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Anderson like this.
  15. Killer!

16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Hey, welcome back. I really missed seeing what you are up to.
    The T was really nice and your work on it was great.
    I can understand the smallness of it an your desire for a top ( which I made sure I planned for on my T RPU)
    With the 32 you will be able to have a nice top and some room.
    I will be watching for updates.

loudbang and Anderson like this.
  17. cracker head

cracker head

It’s ok I guess.....

Malcolm, loudbang and Anderson like this.
  18. Anderson

Anderson

Thanks! I was very close to stretching the windshield on the T and putting a top on it but it would have been a compromise.

I just picked up this though and have big plans for it including a better seating position and top provisions.
    47D83439-6B1B-4B2C-8B6D-4D22CF23B650.jpeg

19. Planning on running dual quads on top of the blower? Looking good!

loudbang likes this.
  20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Wow, that's more than what I started with when it comes right down to it I had a cowl and doors and built the rest.
    I stretched my body 4" behind the doors and that gives me leg room and a decent seating position with the bombers on the floor.
    And I had Rod tops do a top based on a 4" chopped Mr. Roadster windshield frame from Speedway.

loudbang likes this.
  21. Anderson

Anderson

That’s the plan. I think I have enough room for it to all fit under the hood too. Radiator clearance might be an issue.

loudbang likes this.
  22. Anderson

Anderson

Small update. I’ve never had a car give me this much trouble right out of the gate. My gremlin turned out to be the distributor. It was a Mallory dual point. I put in new points, condenser, set the gap and it was working fine. Well I guess it wasn’t. I need to send it out and have it properly set up. In the mean time I bought a “small cap” HEI off of eBay for $100 and stuck it in. The car ran like a champ!! I put the front end back together. Drove it to work today and the new front axle and steering wheel location all felt much better.

Then on the way home, another lovely pothole made the fan eat the radiator again. I thought I had made enough room after the first go-round but these factory Pontiac motor mounts are just junk. So I’m going to double down with poly motor mounts and ditching the mechanical fan entirely. Of course that and having the radiator fixed, again, will have to wait for a few more paychecks. Hot rodding is fun....
    9F60F620-5433-48A1-82B0-F7C83B45E1D4.jpeg

23. Anderson

Anderson

A couple more shots. Got the new motor mounts in and the engine is back up a full inch! Also put some older Hurst pie crusts on my 8.5” Americans for a look see. I wouldn’t chance running these tires on the street and the lug holes in the wheels need some repair. But eventually I’ll fix the wheels and I think get a set of Towel City slicks. I love the look.

Also added another Vette touch to the interior. Modified some ‘63-7 inner door handle mechanisms and used earlier knobs. Can’t wait to get the door panels done now.

08127129-9612-4F8D-9C87-5A47C37D9CC6.jpeg

A6D8D91E-B96C-485C-AC18-5816C7D3C228.jpeg

A22EEEBA-51DD-4633-9343-4D5E772283D5.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  24. Great to see you back on here.
    The T was such a great car and build story.
    This car really has it going on. The headers peaking down and the
    Torque Thrusts seal the deal.

25. PINEAPPLE

PINEAPPLE

Loved watching your T build. New roadster is bitchin!

26. I'm likin' the cookie you're cuttin'.
    When I massaged this one about 3 years ago I titled it "It's '63 again"........I did some cheats..........yours is more accurate..........nicely done. anderson cookie cutter.jpg P2160020a.JPG

dwollam, Anderson and loudbang like this.
  27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Cripes, I love this car, I think you nailed it but as much as I like the name of this thread; I think it's anything but a "cookie cutter" deuce hiboy.
    BTW, I too thought the Corvette slide ball door latch release was perfect for a hot rod and made my own out of stuff I had laying around, found some small black machine knobs at work, they work great.

Just went back and reread some of this thread and realized that jnaki said what I'm parroting:mad:

jnaki and Anderson like this.
  28. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I saw you were selling off the 389 parts. Are you going to put a blower on the 350 a see how it goes?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  29. Anderson

Anderson

Separated at birth! I like the big wheels and tires on the back of that one.

Those high compression heads would do me no good. I think I’ll hang on to the block and build that. I haven’t decided to build an expensive bullet proof bottom end or use a factory rotating assembly. Probably the latter because I never have that much money at one time. It’ll be a stretch when I eventually buy the blower.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    Runnin shine and loudbang like this.
  30. Anderson

Anderson

I’m glad you like it!

The title was meant to be a little tongue in cheek. No you won’t see a ‘32 roadster just like it at every car show but you will see a few dozen ‘32 hiboys. “I want to be different, just like everyone else.” In the end it’s a bolt-together hot rod with a good combination of parts which is exectly the kind of quick/simple hot rod I wanted to build this time.