Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Campbell Hausfield DH 4027

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by drew1987, Feb 17, 2018.

1. drew1987

drew1987

Guys,

This is a last ditch effort to find info on an old school paint gun I have. It blows air even when you aren’t on the trigger. Getting on the trigger adds paint (alcohol was my test liquid) but when you get off the trigger, the flow stops and the air keeps blowing. I cannot find ant exploded view for this specific model. I assume there are seals/o rings missing.

Any info on this little gem would be appreciate. Thanks

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. Larry Pearsall

Larry Pearsall

Your air adjustment screw is too far threaded into the fixture. un screw it until air stops. A little air when lever is pulled, alot and paint when pulled the whole way.. I would not use you gun for any thing more than a primmer gun. I can sell a working good gun for $50.00 and shipping or a lessor gun for $35.00 @ shipping . Your gun does not include a nozle controrn to adjust paint width , ect.

3. drew1987

drew1987

Hi Larry! Thanks. I am totally green when it comes to these guns; which screw is the air adjustment screw?

Also I appreciate the offer but it’s not
    The right time. I am saving to to reach out when it is. I spent the entire till (my hobby money) on a frame this past fall. My intentions for this gun are low expectation. I’ll be painting a utility trailer for the neighbor’s sake, and also staining/clearing a wood steering wheel maybe

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.[​IMG]

4. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Not ta be a wise ass, But You'll have far greater results with a brush.. Than that gun

tb33anda3rd, TagMan and da34guy like this.
  5. Good for a glue gun, that's about it.

6. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Exactly, Or for spraying oil under a car if you live in a salt on road's climate

da34guy likes this.
  7. slowmotion

slowmotion

Bite the bullet and head to HF with a coupon and get the purple gun for $9.99. Light years ahead of that thing. You'll be much happier and less frustrated in the long run.

razoo lew, dan31 and TagMan like this.
  8. Reman

Reman
    from Florida

What you have is a bleeder type spray gun. It is designed to have a constant air flow through it. The cup will have a concave bottom and a bit too much air pressure will blow out, or reverse the concave. All the above advice above is dead on Go to HF and buy a cheapie.

9. drew1987

drew1987

Wow $9.99?! That’s amazing. Can’t go wrong for things like that trailer. I don’t think I’d want to buy a nice gun for painting cars and put rustoleum or farm enamel through it, though I suppose it can always be cleaned. If your saying my gun is supposed to always have air blowing though, that means it works ok and I will absolutely hand onto it for some of the things mentioned. Like undercoating

Just out of curiosity, are any of the “high end” HF guns decent for painting a car

10. Reman

Reman
    from Florida

That is correct. Air goes through it all the time. When you pull the trigger, it suctions paint up from the cup and mixes with the air as it leaves the air cap. Good luck with your new one...........................

11. slowmotion

slowmotion

Just for the record, I don't think HF and 'high end' are even legal to use in the same sentence. :eek::D
    Lots of discussion on here about them. Hit the 'search' function on here & enjoy! searchicon[1].png

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  12. Reman

Reman
    from Florida

LOL so true

13. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I do some painting on the side and for more than basic color application such as trailers etc. a cheap gun is fine but if you want to save yourself some work your better off buying a good decent gun and going from there.

I use a cheap hf for primer, binks #7 for enamels and a 150$ sharpes.

I do a lot of stock paint jobs, like hoods, fenders etc and the layout of the sharpes matches the factory stuff pretty well and if I really try my panels will blow away the factory paint. So my advice is buy a better gun and you will earn it back in less time sanding and buffing.

14. Larry Pearsall

Larry Pearsall

Since Your taking advise as to getting a better gun . You will be years ahead of your game by moving on to a new gun.

15. That's a 'Included FREE with your new compressor' gun that came with the cheaper home spray outfits back in the day. If you're spraying thinned housepaint or stain, it'll do fine. Worthless for anything else, even if you could find repair parts.

The HF gun will be a big step up....

16. drew1987

drew1987

Yea the one I have just has to put gray on a trailer faster than a brush haha but when I am ready to paint my whole car, I’d like a nice gun. Also, I’d like to stop doing spraycan repairs to my vintage Lexus daily driver and my wife’s 10 year old odyssey. Neither of us care for perfection, just that from 20
    Feet there is no damage or rust visible. It’s just that it wouldn’t be a big expense to do it the righty way after the somewhat large initial investment. I’m just at a crossroads now...
    Selling my house, buying another and most likely downgrading my garage sadly. I have a large 1 car that could easily store two 1959 Cadillacs. Where we go will, at best, have an attached two car until I build a barn or expand the garage. Point is, not a good time, nor is there cash, to get “started” painting the right way

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  17. drew1987

drew1987

Harbor freight is stepping up their game in some areas. They make nice impact guns now. Wouldn’t be surprised if they came out with a nice spray gun. What is “the best” spray gun? Curious to hear what you all have to say