Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Drive in theater

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rmorris, Feb 14, 2018.

1. ^^^^^Great story^^^^

2. Sometimes watched the submarine races.:D:eek:

wicarnut and wraymen like this.
  3. .............................So nice, you had to say it twice.:rolleyes:

4. Too young to drive, we sat on a wall at the Palmer Ford dealership and watched for free.
    large.jpg

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. Fellow I worked with (we were both part time grocery stockers) came back from the drive in with a busted driver's side window and a souvenir speaker. The next weekend he came back with a busted passenger side window and a second souvenir speaker.
    His girlfriend was sort'a hot but really he was just easily distracted.

6. And that just the girlfriend. He also had two speakers !

7. rmorris

rmorris

8. rmorris

rmorris

Now, that is funny ! Actually my grandpa told me about popcorn surprises when talkies were a a nickel and so was popcorn !

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  9. Yep, Starlight Drive In, Vernon, late 50s. They showed some of the big movies of the day, but they also showed lots of double features, and hot rod movies.
    We did the trunk thing regularly, but luckily, that spot was always reserved for the smallest guy in our group. We stopped, when the car right next to us got caught.
    There can't be many drive ins left.
    I was working in the oilfields in southern Saskachewan in the summer of 1962, and there was a drive in near Minot that we would occasionally frequent. We had a fast moving storm come through, accompanied by high winds and very heavy rain. That evening on the news, they reported that a gust of wind was so strong that it picked up the ticket booth and blew it down the road 1/4 mile. The poor woman inside was not seriously injured, but she looked like she was on the bad end of a prize fight. They didn't post the ET or her top speed.
    I never thought that working in a ticket office would be a hazardous occupation.
    Bob
    Bob

10. rmorris

rmorris

Unsafe At any speed!

11. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

have a lack of anything even remotely like it around here.
    They replaced all the projectors at work so I grabbed an old but still perfectly functional one and chucked it in my garage. Nailed up a curtain rail and chucked a curtain on backwards for a screen. Send the audio via bluetooth to the cars stereo. Control video via cell phone, tablet or laptop. Home made drive in is done! Being at home it means you can drink what certainly adds to the bench seat fun a you and your missus can have whilst watching a flick.
    [​IMG]
    projector is now mounted to the rafters. above pic its on a towel on the roof of the car for first trial movie night.

12. I was there! The Cinematic was held at the Kanauga Drive In which was 45 minutes from my home. Sadly, the drive in was sold a few years ago and is long-gone now. The Mothman statue is still in Point Pleasant and is featured in the Mothman Festival each fall. I still have the Cinematic t-shirt and great memories from that event hanging with Denise (hotrodladycruiser) and BobK, plus several other HAMBers.

Jim

13. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

we have two drive ins in the warren ohio area ,my grand daughter works at one of them .

14. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

There was 3 or 4 drive-ins some what local and 2 of them that I remember charged by the carload so there was no need to sneak in. 1 or a carload same price.

15. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Now that I've had my fun with R rated popcorn stories here's a G rated one. It's the late 70's with my first car at the drive-in after installing an ahooga horn that I ordered from JC Whitney . I'd situate myself close to the snack bar so I could notice a fresh bucket of pop corn going by. Needless to say, the pop corn always went flying after I laid into the horn as they walk in front of my car. Even though it wasn't that long ago no one got mad and wanted to do anything about other than laugh at their own embarrassment unlike like today. It all was taken in fun. And yes, I'd offer to refill their bucket for the cost of having been entertained.

rmorris likes this.
  16. When I was a kid....5-6, my Mom took us five kids in the station wagon to go see, "Gone With The Wind" at the local drive-in near Royal Oak, Michigan. It was pissing down rain throughout the burning of Atlanta. My Mom kept having to "go to the lady's room" a lot. I found out as an adult she was seeing her boyfriend in another car at the drive-in. Turned out to be my paternal father. I could write a book....

17. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Although this isn't a funny story of days gone passed, some people must think that drive in theaters are going to make a come back. A couple are making plans to erect one just west of Omaha out in the country. At least one neighbor isn't happy about increased traffic.

rnscustom likes this.
  18. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

We had two Drive in close to home back in the day, the 64 Drive in and the 69 Drive in, both named for the high ways they were located on. We did the trunk thing, the raid your buddies car thing, broke your window/ speaker thing,popcorn thing, boy! Life was fun when we were young. Bones

rmorris likes this.
  19. No stories but here's a rendering I did for the FAS a while back....

22.jpg

Driver50x, Texas57, rmorris and 3 others like this.
  20. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Not a bad idea. I mean that in a positive way as it can help bring out things that haven't been thought out. Just one copy to the author can make a world of difference.

31Dodger likes this.
  21. Wow, didn't see that one coming..... I did like the Atlanta burning/down pour part. Very cool visual.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  22. Yep....I didn't see that one coming, either....she ended up marrying him. Hahahaha.

lothiandon1940 and wraymen like this.
  23. redidbull

redidbull
    from Ct

I remember driving in through the out gate to get in for free. Turn off your headlights and go for it. I also used to go to the flea market there on Sundays. Sorry no romantic stories.

rmorris likes this.
  24. O.Winston Link photo
    Hot-Shot-Eastbound-700x500.jpg

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  25. Siskel and Ebert give it Two Thumbs up for the happy ending.

rmorris, lothiandon1940 and 31Dodger like this.
  26. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a real early memory!

bct, Texas57, rmorris and 1 other person like this.
  27. Turns out, he was my brother's father, too!

rmorris, wraymen and lothiandon1940 like this.
  28. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Ah, Eleanor Degutis............Four Drive-Ins with in five miles of home, I can think of seven and there were more than forty in CT at the peak..There are three still in operation..

rmorris likes this.