Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Car stuff to see in L.A.?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by judgeyoung, Feb 13, 2018.

1. judgeyoung

judgeyoung

OK, I have a business meeting in Anaheim this weekend and have never made the trek to California. I have only a couple of days in the area. On my list forever has been to visit the Petersen Museum, so that is a "for sure". What other landmark car locations should I see? Not looking for tourist stuff, just things like cruising down Van Nuys Blvd, or seeing where someone's car shop was located, etc.

What say you, guru's?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. judgeyoung and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. judgeyoung

judgeyoung

I emailed Jay Leno and Tim Taylor to see if one of them would give me a lift over to the Petersen, since they are car guys and live fairly close. I know I'd give them a ride if they came to Abilene, Texas. They must be busy, I didn't hear back yet... :)
    BTW, talking cars with Tim and Jay is also on my list. Thought I might knock a couple of more items off the list in the same day!

Donuts & Peelouts and 0351 like this.
  4. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

Bobs Bigboy... Downy wednesday, Burbank on Friday. Peterson museum. Mooneyes . Donut Derelicts Saturday morning.

LBCD and judgeyoung like this.

5. If the Peterson has been on your list for years you had probably better do it. If the year was 2005 I would put it at the top. Unfortunately the current curator has, in my opinion, turned it into a museum of European cars. When I visited it years ago it was filled with cars and scenes from my youth growing up in the Southern California car culture. When I visited it recently I was disappointed. That may just be me, I would sure like to hear other opinions. Be sure to stop at an "In and Out" fast food restaurant and order a "double double" with grilled onions.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    deucemac and judgeyoung like this.
  6. rjones35

rjones35

I think it would be cool to see some of the shops like Ian Roussels in Sun Valley, I think. Maybe not traditional custom stuff, but some pretty awesome work. i don't know if he gives tours or lets people in or whatever, but it would be neat if he was available. I know there are tons of guys around down there, but he came to mind.

7. toml24

toml24

Donut Derelicts car show in Huntington Beach is the best FREE car show on the West coast. Over 200 vintage cars and trucks every Saturday morning from 5:30am to 8:30am. No rules or regulations. Just come and enjoy. Corner of Adams and Magnolia. Its worth your time to get up early.

0351, LBCD, abe lugo and 1 other person like this.
  8. judgeyoung

judgeyoung

So far... LAX at 9 AM ish Friday. Petersen's for me while wife does the Walk of Fame (the wife IS with me), Bob's Big Boy for late lunch. We are staying near the Anaheim Convention center. What do I need to plan on the ride down? Looks like Donut Derelicts early Sat morning. Keep em'coming!

9. Note that Donut Derelicts is way closer to Anaheim and you should really try to get there about 6-6:30 People leave right around 8-9am to other shows.

10. Not just you, a number of people feel the same. It has gone too white collar, it is still a great museum. It is just a shame the focus has turned so much toward European cars and away from Pete's original vision.

The NHRA museum should be on your list of things to see. The Driving museum near LAX is good too.

deucemac likes this.
  11. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Go see the crew at Circle City in Orange, thats close for ya. We went to their shop last year when we went out to the grand Nation. Super people.

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Might check with Leonard's Custom Fabrication & Rotten Rods and Chop Shop in Fullerton & American Hot Rods in Anaheim to see if they allow visitors

13. I just remembered there is a 1966 Batman exhibit at the Hollywood Museum, this is a cool one with a lot movie stuff in it. http://thehollywoodmuseum.com/

If you are LAX on Friday morning, you won't get to Anaheim until about noon, maybe 1 if you are lucky. Sorry but that being generous with travel time.
    Maybe have lunch at the Grove, in the Farmers Market.
    Note that The Petersen is a about a 4 miles or just a bit more than the Hollywood area with the Chinese Theater, which near Hollywood and Highland area.

If you get into Downtown LA, check out Clifton's it a good landmark now and in the past was also.

If you got in and were not expecting to go straight to Anaheim or check in yet....
    You can do the Museum and walk of fame Friday afternoon. Then trek up to Bob's in Burbank for dinner.
    Hollywood area on the weekend is a madhouse.
    If you Uber expect the rate to double getting in and out.
    Walk a few blocks away from the main area.

Check out the drive times on a Friday, like right now to see the worse case scenario.

If you rent a car, drive up the coast, there is an automotive museum in Oxnard and it is one the best drives right past Malibu to Oxnard.
    Is Anaheim the choice because of Disney? Oh I see work:eek:

14. Since the wife is going to be with you check out the Nethercutt Museum. The cars are great but probably too old and too "grandfatherly" for the average HAMBER. I on the other hand liked it. Check it out on Google. The wife might like it. Be sure to call ahead and get on one of their tours for the wife, I hope you can get one on short notice. Best of all it's free, including free parking (at least it used to be).

Charlie Stephens

15. 1911

Barris/Masterson shop on Atlantic in Lynwood (just to say you saw it).
    The NHRA Museum is really, really good with lots of famous vehicles (not all race cars) and
    the staff seemed much more laid back than the people at the Peterson (half + European).

rjones35 likes this.
  16. toml24

toml24

Upon your arrival in Southern California there are a number of places to visit. They are:

Donut Derelicts Car Show, Huntington Beach, CA. Corner of Adams and Magnolia. Every Saturday morning from 5:30am-8:30am. Best FREE car show on the West coast. 200 vintage cars and trucks every Saturday morning. Trust me; it's worth your time to see this car show.

NHRA Drag Racing Museum, Los Angeles County Fairplex. 1101 West McKinley Ave. Pomona, CA. More than just drag racing, this is an excellent museum.

Automobile Driving Museum. 610 Lairport St. El Segundo, CA. 90245. Don't be put off by the funny street name or the plain drab brick facade. This is a great museum that is non-profit. They ask for a modest $5.00 donation. It's worth it. Very close to LAX Airport.

Peterson Museum. 6060 Wilshire Blvd. $15 entry plus $12 parking.

Irwindale Speedway. 500 Speedway Drive. Irwindale, CA. 91706. Freeway off ramp is Live Oak Ave. Every 2-weeks on Saturday night there is NASCAR short track racing with 5 different divisions on the paved ½ mile and 1/3 mile track. On-track autograph session and freebies at 5:45PM, racing at 7:00PM. Great entertainment. $15.00 plus $5.00 parking.

Also, NHRA drag racing every Thursday night on the 1/8 mile track, starting at 5:00PM until 10:00PM. $10.00 to watch and FREE parking.

In-N-Out Hamburger. Mighty tasty burgers, fries, and shakes.

Krispy Kreme Doughnuts. Get the warm glazed doughnuts and bring plenty of cold milk. It's a great experience!

rjones35 likes this.
  17. jnaki

jnaki

Hey JY,
    So, as long as you are near LAX at 9:00 am, you might want to take this drive as described on the list below. LAX, Santa Monica, Malibu, Pt. Mugu, Encinal Canyon to Mulholland Highway, to Topanga, to Santa Monica and LA Petersen Museum, all in a 3 hour drive. We have taken this road trip a few times along Mulholland. It has been depicted in movies and books in all sorts of stories.

But, the coastal drive from Santa Monica to PT. MUGU is one of the best in So Cal, it never gets old. We have driven it a million times to and from other So Cal cities, the latest being during Thanksgiving weekend. Here is the best example of this great drive.

Take your time as the scenery is the typical So Cal coastal and mountains. Be careful on Mulholland Drive. We, So Cal drivers aren’t all a bunch of tailgating clods…

Jnaki

It is a fun drive, beautiful scenery and now, after finishing it, you can say you experienced So Cal at its finest. Have fun: any questions, pm me… Your phone GPS should show you the way. But, double check, before you leave.
    upload_2018-2-14_5-45-30.png
    upload_2018-2-14_5-45-50.png

Have a fun So Cal drive and relax, you are on a mini vacation...
    Click open the two attachments for list 5-10 and the overall route map directions.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  18. judgeyoung

judgeyoung

You guys are AWESOME!!!! Thanks so much for all the recommendations. I am plotting my trip. I'm not sure that my wife will appreciate all the car stuff, but I may never get that way again! What about Mooneyes shop?

LBCD likes this.
  19. JohnnyCASHcadillac

JohnnyCASHcadillac
    from SO CAL-

Jimmy Shine’s shop is in Anaheim. Great guy and will stop to show you around....

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

judgeyoung likes this.
  20. Anything you and the wife are interested in besides cars? Can you get your boss to extend your stay and you pay for the hotel (I used to do that). Your wife might like the Getty Center and the Getty Villa, and the Huntington Library.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  21. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After DD on Saturday am you could shoot in your rental car upto the NHRA museum (Pomona) (check opening times) and before / after drop by Early Ford Store in San Dimas (5 miles from Pomona?)(check opening hours), if only to drool. Handy if you need to buy stuff! Then it'll be lunchtime and you'll have had an awesome morning :)
    Chris

22. jnaki

jnaki

part 2
    Hey JY,

Here are the “local car stuff “places near the Anaheim Convention Center for the whole weekend. They are short, freeway drives to the locales for car shows or what not: for the flyers, go to SoCalcarculture.com
    Best bet: Donut Derelicts on Saturday morning…hard core guys arrive very early…
    Toml24 mentioned:
    upload_2018-2-14_15-38-47.png
    upload_2018-2-14_15-39-4.png

Then back up to LAX area on Sunday 18: the ADM just down the street from the airport. Open Sundays 10am to 4pm https://www.automobiledrivingmuseum.org/

Jnaki

Hope you have a great So Cal work/vacation.

By the way, if you want to really impress “The Wife,” try the sunset dinner at the Laguna Niguel Ritz Carlton outdoor dining area. It is right above the famed, Salt Creek surf spot. It is an easy drive south from the Anaheim Convention Center.
    upload_2018-2-14_15-39-50.png
    upload_2018-2-14_15-40-12.png
    upload_2018-2-14_15-40-28.png
    It is an easy drive down I-5 freeway to 133 to Laguna Beach coastal drive highway 1 to the Ritz Carlton, just south at Salt Creek Beach Park.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  23. jnaki

jnaki

part 3
    Hey JY,

Not being a car show fanatic, but So Cal is full of car related places that are off of the beaten path. The GNRS, LARS, Pomona, NHRA, etc. all draw a ton of people, but the local car shows and presentations are the core of the involvement of the local hot rodders. IMHO.

Being in So Cal so long and going to most of the events, you can see the faces of the participants a lot closer in these community events. The pride of ownership, the details on the car builds, etc. relate to all “miles of smiles.” Here are a few of the events that might fit your timeline located so close to your Anaheim center.
    upload_2018-2-14_18-2-51.png
    The Garden Grove Show has been going on since 1994 and is the oldest in Orange County. It is the closest to the Anaheim Convention Center. 10 minutes away. The historic Main Street has been built up over the years and has a lot of small restaurants and shops. The atmosphere is pretty cool. Lots of friendly hot rod people. When we lived in that part of Orange County, we used to go there, many years ago, before the car shows, just for the shops.

The Classic Car Fridays at the Buena Park Elks Lodge is also 15 minutes away from Anaheim. We have not gone to this one, but did attend a Comic Convention many years ago for those rare Spiderman, Punisher, and Wolverine first issues.

Jnaki
    These close to you events are Friday nights. The Donut Derelicts event is early Saturday mornings. That still is the best local event every week. All of the events are a short freeway drive away from your home base in Anaheim.

Something to think about on your fly/drive weekend event. Early enough for the Big HAMB shut down tomorrow.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  24. LBCD

LBCD

Yes you have go to Mooneyes! Then....just across the street is The Holiday for some ice cold beer

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

25. DirtyDan

DirtyDan

I was just in town for GNRS. Do not waste your time or $ on the Peterson. Such a huge disappointment. Spent about 15 mins there and left. Was there previous years and loved it.

Early Ford store in San Dimas is worth the drive. Then hit Mooneyes, and NHRA museum while out that way.

Galpin autosports has a real nice showroom near downtown LA.

Venice beach boardwalk is interesting and a short drive to Santa Monica Pier.

Donuts at Randy’s by LAX is usually my first stop followed by a French dip at Phillipes.

26. socaljoe

socaljoe
    from California

judgeyoung likes this.
  27. https://www.autobooks-aerobooks.com/
    Autobooks in Burbank is really cool if your into car/airplane publications.

Also the Bob's Big Boy in Burbank on I think Tuesday nights has a great cruise..

28. judgeyoung

judgeyoung

You SoCal guys (and others!) are beyond helpful for this ol' Texas boy. If the traditional hot rod deal doesn't work out for you, I think you may have a future as tour guides!

I can't wait to get a taste of hotrodding's birthplace. And seriously, if any of you are in the West Texas area, give me a shout and I'll give you a tour!

Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  29. judgeyoung

judgeyoung

So... as a collector of over 20,000 hotrod magazines (well, as of about 10 years ago), Autobooks might be deadly to me! BTW, Love the fairlane! As a Ford guy, I have a beater 65 Fairlane wagon and a 66 Galaxie wagon project in the shop.

Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  30. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Still is free. Was there for the third time last month. It is unequaled regardless of what your genre is. The guided tours go through the main salon building which has about 25 cars in the lower entry level gathering area and another 25 on the main level salon area right out of the 20's and 30's showrooms of high end cars. The upper two levels are as the web site describes and women love it.

The newer display area across the street has about 140 cars, one fire pumper, and one Locomotive with private rail car! Again see their website...

... http://www.nethercuttcollection.org/

It's in Sylmar