Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC 350 HELP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NorthRiver6478, Feb 15, 2018.

1. NorthRiver6478

NorthRiver6478

Oil pan gasket was leaking on a project that im working on....The block casting number is 3970010...Can not make out the stamped number on the front of the block yet...It would be awsome to find out what year the block is...It looks like a K so maybe from Canada...?

After removing the pan i see that the rods and main cap bolts have id paint on them...Did Chevy or GM ever do this...Can someone also tell me if the rod cap nuts and main bolts are stock...I dont think they are...Although not sure...Thank You For Any Info Or Help.

Attached Files:

2. Shutt

Shutt

Not stock, has been rebuilt oil pickup welded and aftermarket fasteners. Get some plastigage while you’re in there.

NorthRiver6478 likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

Yup, it's been rebuilt, and has aftermarket rod and main cap bolts. All that fancy high rpm stuff...and it has cast pistons and crankshaft....

There should be a date code cast in the block, near where the casting number is. It will have a letter followed by two to four numbrs, such as E 23 5 That would translate as May 23rd, 1975. The last number is the last digit of the year, and that block was made for 1969-1979 model year vehicles, mostly used in trucks.

NorthRiver6478 likes this.