Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Looking for opinions in rear springs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ShortyLaVen, Feb 14, 2018.

?
  1. Standard

50.0%
  2. Heavy duty

25.0%
  3. Station wagon

25.0%
  1. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

Hello! I'm getting ready to buy new springs for the rear of my '60 Biscayne, but I'm having a hard time deciding what to get. I'm tired of the drive line rub, time it takes to swap rear wheels, and all the other headaches of having the rear low. The car as two coils cut all around right now, and I'm planning on keeping the front low (I like the look of a good rake just as much as I like em real low). My options are the standard, heavy duty, or station springs. They are all within ten bucks of each other.

Standard: 16.84" free height, 11" compressed, 276 spring rate

Heavy duty: 16.44 free height, 11" compressed, 370 spring rate

Wagon: 17.12" free height, 11.25" compressed, 499 rate

I know a lot of guys say to go with wagon springs, but I'm unsure if that would be too stiff for the car. What do you guys think? I will also be adding air shocks in the near future, so it is also a factor in my decision. IMG_20170922_182851119.jpg

2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I had a 66 Chevy 4 door.
    Really nice car but weak rear springs.
    I got a pair of station wagon springs from a 66 wagon at the salvage yard and it was a huge improvement.

The ride and ride height was perfect and you could actually carry a decent load in the big trunk.

3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I think standard. remember what it sat like before you cut the coils? It may be even higher than that with brand new std springs. they will eventually settle some but it takes time. I think wagon springs would put the rear bumper on the moon. maybe air shocks with the current springs are the answer

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  4. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

5. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

That's a good point, maybe I should do air shocks first and then springs later if I feel like I need the extra spring height. Here's a pic of the car with the stock coils in the rear (albeit they were pretty sacked out) with cut coils in front. This pic also has 215/75R14s in back, and I'm running 235/75R15s now, so that adds about an extra 3/4 to 1 inch to the rake right there... Screenshot_20180214-223033~2.png

6. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Stock ride height, and really fat wheels all round. Plus front and rear sway bars
    It will handle and look good.

A 1960 Nascar theme , before they went to that "Tupperware Look"