Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ICU test

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by harleynut45, Feb 13, 2018.

1. harleynut45

harleynut45

Hi Guys , I got a 49 Plymouth with a built 360 motor out of a 79 Dodge Magnum. I think I got a bad ICU but I'm not sure. Question is, how do you test the ICU

2. squirrel

squirrel

Is that a funny name for an ignition box?

Take out the electronic distributor, put in a point distributor, see if it runs ok. Be sure to wire the ballast resistor properly. If it works ok, then you know what the problem was.

Or watch the video.

VANDENPLAS and bubba55 like this.
  3. Needs a cat scan.

4. harleynut45

harleynut45

Thanks squirrel. Don't know where you found that video, that was interesting.

5. squirrel

squirrel

I just searched youtube for mopar ignition box testing, or something.

As for how to test yours, without the fancy gadget...first check the reluctor gap, and see if anything about it looks flaky, and measure the resistance of the pickup coil. Check the ground on the ICU. Then check the wiring, find a schematic on line that shows how things like the ignition switch and resistors are connected, and figure out if they are sending the right voltage to the right place. If they are, then wiggle the connector on the ICU, and try to start the engine again.

If that doesn't work, buy another ICU and try it. If that doesn't work, get that point distributor I mentioned in my first post, and trashcan the electronic crap.

bubba55, Moriarity and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. If ICU on the side of the road, I will stop and help....

7. harleynut45

harleynut45

I'm only getting 4.5 volts to the +side of the coil with the ignition in the run position. Looks like the I'll be replacing the ICU. Should be between 7 to 9 volts. No, I'm not on the side of the road. Been there....done that a few times.....no fun at all.

8. thorpe31

thorpe31
    from nor-cal

Ign 2 same as starter solenoid
    C5E57734-72BC-4CCA-9923-0B811BAFDD8B.jpeg

9. ICU figured it out

56don likes this.
  10. bubba55

bubba55

Dang'it Squirrel - the only thing slack about you is yer looks - and I've never met ya !

11. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Wise man once say..... If you have a Mopar electronic ignition in your car, you should always carry a spare ICU, and resistor with you!
    Make sure that you have it properly grounded Too!
    KK

12. studebaker46

studebaker46

for $3 apop carry a couple ballast resistors with you at all times and this may be your problem now as koolkat-57 says make sure grounds are good Tom

13. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Just a simple conversion over to a hei gm module and problem solved. Just Google it and you will get tons of diy hits.

firstinsteele likes this.