Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cooling the 57 Olds

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by SHARKO, Feb 14, 2018.

1. SHARKO

SHARKO

motor2.jpg motor1.jpg I finally finished the evaporator setup in the dash {VA Gen II Super]. And I just ordered a Sanden 508 compressor which I plan to mount where the original generator was. I saw where someone put the alternator on top and drove it off the second AC pulley groove. I think I'm going to try this [It was on a 57 Olds]. The next hurdle is to cool the motor.
    The vibe of my car is part Phantom[ because it has a 6 speed whereas GM was chasing automatics], and part 60s high school hot rod [little chrome air cleaners and a tach]. So while my air cleaners are chrome my compressor and alternator are not to be polished and my power steering is black. I have been running a black re-cored stock radiator. The radiator is 26 inches square with 26 wide by 20.5 exposed core . The core is 2 inches thick with I think 2 rows of tubes with about 1/2 x 3/16 openings. I don't think the tanks will take a thicker core. The fan is 4 bladed` and there is no shroud on the core.
    I need enough cooling to idle in traffic in August, which it has done with this setup but without AC. My questions are:
    1.Radiator?
    2. Fan : 6 blade?, viscous drive?, electric?
    3. Shroud?
    4. Condenser type and size
    Thank you all for sharing your knowledge
    Pat
    motor2.jpg motor1.jpg

2. belair

belair

Shroud and mechanical fan.

Skankin' Rat Fink likes this.
  3. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Second on the shroud -- and see if you can find an appropriate fan upgrade from a factory AC car.

garyf likes this.
  4. SHARKO

SHARKO

Thanks guys. There are 6 blades around though I don't have a pic of an AC 57 Olds. Would you bother with a viscous drive? I think 57 Buicks used a shroud. It would be great to have one where the top came off.

5. belair

belair

The viscous drive might add some length to the set-up. I don't think you gain or loose much by going with one.

Skankin' Rat Fink likes this.
  6. I had the luck of finding a four blade 57 Olds fan so I threw it on my 324 in my 31. I could not imagine the amount of air that this thing pulls thru the radiator setting at idle. Anything in front of the radiator is sucked right up on the core that gets close. The blades do have more twist in them than others I have on the wall. I suspect one of those off of a 371 could be found and with the addition of a shroud you may be good to go with the stock radiator.
    Did I understand that you are running those chrome round air cleaners on that set up? If so, you are going to starve that Olds to death as they will not support the amount of air you need to run 3 2's especially at WOT. Look at the OE filters GM or Ford used in their 3x2 applications and you will see that there is a lot more space for handling air....just my 2 cents here.....your car you do as you want. Beautiful car too, I might add. Good to see another grand old Olds running down the road.

mad mikey likes this.
  7. SHARKO

SHARKO

I do have the 4 blade 371 fan on the 371 mill. My Parts USA Olds catalog only shows 1 fan and 1 radiator with or without AC. I think Caddilacs used 6 blades. I have an air dam part that I have not been running which I think was the factory's "shroud". It is about 2 inches tall and sweeps all the way across the top of the radiator and side panels and originally even had a rubber flap to seal against the hood. So I can reinstall that.
    You have me wondering about my chrome air cleaners. They are my second or third set in 30 years. I don't know what they flow but I figured if I changed elements often?
    For the condenser I'm thinking get the biggest that will fit. Do some block more airflow than others?
    Thanks again
    Pat

8. SHARKO

SHARKO

I got burned on the compressor. I called summit and asked the tech line guy what was the difference between the Summit 508 and the VA 508. He said "the VA 508 is made in America." I said "I hope I don't get burned" and paid $35 extra to buy some jobs in Texas. It came today and the box says "made in Singapore". I liked Singapore. Went there on R and R. But I still got burned.

Budget36 likes this.
  9. SHARKO

SHARKO

Well I get by with a little help from my friends. My bride talked to Summit. They graciously refunded $20 and I am the proud owner of a genuine Singapore Sanden. No mail back and I got to open the box. All good.
    Pat

10. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

On my old 55 Olds, stock engine, with aftermarket Tri-power, I added AC, an old Tecumseh compressor, stock radiator, stock fan, no shroud. Never had a problem overheating.

11. Pat, you could always make your own filter assembly and use one of the tripower oval elements. saw some threads on here recently about that process.

12. SHARKO

SHARKO

Thank you for your input Flash. It is reassuring. The car has not been overheating although I always freak about 190 with my 180 thermostat. The upper radiator baffle actually had a rubber fin to seal to the hood. I haven't been running this because its a nuisance when you lean down into the motor. I think I'll have my radiator inspected as to the type of core I have and what a re-core might yield, install the baffle, and think about 6 bladed fans and Buick shrouds.
    Thanks for the air cleaner pics. I believe 66 Goats came with 3 small air cleaners on their large base Rochesters. I don't know the diameter of the elements but I think the paper was exposed. By the way your mill is beautiful with those stacks.
    Pat