Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '39 trans cluster gear end play tolerance

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by RobertDip, Feb 11, 2018.

1. RobertDip

RobertDip
    from Candiac

Installing 25T L-Z gears in a top loader #78 case. No wear on case and needed an additional .020 shim to remove play. Made from shim stock, it's great, but now have almost no play. It does not bind, rotates nicely, but wondering if it needs more end play to ensure proper oiling and not to cause any binding because of lack of enough play. I would say I'm about .001 or .002" Almost impossible to measure. Thrush washers are new.

2. rusty valley

rusty valley

from vanpelts book, cluster gear end play .005 - .017 normal, .025 wear limit

3. I'm dealing .with the same now , and agree with Rusty Valley . I mention to a buddy about honing down the Babbitt on the cluster thrush ....

4. RobertDip

RobertDip
    from Candiac

So, does that mean that end play should be at least .005 ?? I guess I can shave the thick thrust washer down a bit.
    I would have to go to a machine shop and put on a surface grinder. Sandpaper trick may not be good.

5. Dip , I'm no expect , I held 005 and I did the sand paper trick , main shaft check end play also
    Do you have Vern Tardel or Vanpelt transmission books ?

6. RobertDip

RobertDip
    from Candiac

Vern Tardel book on trans I have, but nowhere do I see any tolerance dimensions stated. Like any mechanic or machinist, tolerances are a most important part of engine or trans rebuilding. I am disappointed that this is neglected by the publications. But, that me.

HemiDeuce likes this.
  7. Mac VP

Mac VP

All tolerances and thrust washer specs have always been in our book........

HemiDeuce likes this.