Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Who can remember this 28-29 roadster pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48stude, Dec 6, 2017.

1. 48stude

48stude

This has been eatin' at me the last few days. I wanted to add this car to the top five hot rod thread ,but I can't remember any name and I can't find a pic or info. So here goes, 28-29 Ford roadster pickup.full fendered ,chopped white top , shortened bed , lengthened hood( I believe )black paint ,whitewalls and full wheel covers. Late fifties or early sixties west coast build. I thought I saw this in Bruce Myers collection restored, but I haven't been able to find any thing. I looked through my little pages last night to no avail . Does this ring a bell with anyone? It's driving me crazy:eek: Thanks , Bill

2. Fordors

Fordors

Well the full wheel covers don't ring a bell but this is the first car I thought of from your description. Never heard that Bruce Meyer owns it, but then I don't know a lot about him. Hey look-Photos By Curt Hamilton the founder of Cal Automotive, he produced a very early fiberglass '23 T body along with other products. Scan_0020.jpg Scan_0021.jpg

3. chaddilac

chaddilac

Man that thing is cool!

brad2v likes this.
  4. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Greg Sharp or Dick Mendonca (misspell?) both had really nice black ones.

5. 48stude

48stude

Fordors, That car is really close to my description. But I don't recall ever seeing the car without a top for comparison's sake. In my minds eye it doesn't have that much rake and seems like it had chrome spinner wheel covers. But I really like this truck too! Thanks for posting, I appreciate it!:) Bill

6. 48stude

48stude

Greg Sharps truck is much newer build ( though I remember this truck very well )
    All I could find for Dick Mendonca was a 53 Ford custom. Thanks for posting, Bill

7. 48stude

48stude

I know this has been over month ago , but it's been nagging at me. I just figured this out the other night. This is the truck that I was thinking about. It was owned and built by Dave Dias and is now in the Mumford collection. :p I love this truck! Bill

8. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

A lot of them had shortened beds. Why I'll never know.

9. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I remember an old one matching that discription in NorCal that I think was restored at brizeos in the 90s , I believe it is in the Andy southard book

10. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI

11. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

@48stude the one you'r probably referring to is Red and has Olds Fiesta hubcaps.

It runs an Old 303 to a Packard 3 speed stick. The cab was moved 6" and the bed shortened the same amount both ends.

I say runs, as the car is currently being rebuilt.

Alas I have no pictures of it, as I am away from my desktop computer where I have them stored.

EVL401 likes this.
  12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Wow! That was the same truck I pictured from the description. Glad you saved me the time going through my old issues of Hot Rod. Note that the 28-29 cab is sitting on 1930 fenders. Bob

[​IMG]

EVL401 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Forgot to add, that a Mr Heildebrant built the red one

14. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

When my wife of 50 years and were dating (mid 60s) she was the babysitter for Dave Diaz and his wife. This pickup was stashed in the garage. So many guys snuck into where their girlfriends were babysitting but few of them left the girl in the house and headed for the garage. :D I spent hours with this little pickup and never touched it. The babysitter? :rolleyes: By that time the wide 5 drums were chrome and the louvers were striped. I think there were louvers in the aprons too. For obvious reasons this is one of my all time favorites!
    I never met Dave Diaz! :(

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    48stude, loudbang and Hollywood-East like this.
  15. when I built my RPU.....it was the Dias car that I got the inspiration from.....loved the 31 front wings
    12716149_937956932949287_4285868434558125305_o.jpg