Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Canadian paint job - worth the trip?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by meezy, Feb 11, 2018.

1. meezy

meezy
    from brooklyn

Hey - thank you for offering that. But after the responses I've read, it seems like it would be easiest and make the most sense to just do it here.

2. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

I agree and Good Luck with it. Larry

meezy likes this.
  3. Although not a paper trail , the internet does leave a trail!!!

4. indyjps

indyjps

Go talk to some shops and see who will do the work for cash, or get a recommendation here.

Sounds like buying material here. Put it in the trunk, drive to Canada, get the car painted, drive home. Have someone follow you up so you can leave it for a week.

Might make some new labels for the cans, latex interior paint, mineral spirits.:)

5. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

First question should of been, "Are there any boarder patrol guys here on the H.A.M.B.?"

indyjps and Speedy Canuck like this.
  6. No reputable shop would risk the $25,000 fine for using non compliant products brought up from the US.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. indyjps

indyjps

Understand, OP is looking for inexpensive paint job, so im guessing disreputable shop is OK whether its US or Canada. I dont know that the $0.25 or so difference in exchange rate will save much. Whatever shop will have jobber rate on materials and have better pricing before mark up than an individual can buy paint.

As an example, my town has dozens of fully licensed, insured, approved bodyshops. It also has 2 shops with no advertising working out of industrial parks, no insurance jobs. Those 2 shops are the ones cranking out beautiful pearl jobs on lowriders and SUV's. From the looks of the cars, those are cash jobs.
    Ive talked to the owner of one, He'll quote driver quicky paint jobs to full custom: he says " its time and materials, it can be as cheap or as perfect as you want it but not both"

OP needs to find that shop in his area.

8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. putz

putz
    from wisc.

i remember high days back in the 60,s ::: The Earl S. adds $29.95 any car any color !!! :::

10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I took my OT (parts hauler II) in yesterday and dropped it off at MAACO to have the front bumper cover fixed and repainted gloss black (the Mrs had a run in with a sheet of plywood on the highway last time she drove it). Same day, in/out, B/C, couple c notes (made the wife pay the tab). They bagged the rest of the truck, Looks great!

11. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This whole idea raises the hairs on my neck. I see a collector car and body shop on the same topic. A body shop is a production facility. The tech gets 'x' hrs to do a job and beats the clock or he makes no $$$$. Painter gives a portion of his commission to a helper, the 2 also cranking it out as fast as possible. A good shop almost never has a "slow day" to work on something "special". The whole body shop purgatory idea is where this comes from. Find someone who only does special car paint work. It's their daily gig and most don't want hangar queens for show n tell. While this may not be every case it's certainly the norm.

Bandit Billy likes this.