Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 57 Eldorado at its new home - Questions about options / VIN

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by logic2, May 1, 2017.

1. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

I know this is a traditional hot rod forum, but I vote to keep it original.

2. What's up with the dash ?

3. logic2

logic2

Dash is in the trunk.
    Very good / excellent condition.

Going back in this week.

4. logic2

logic2

Original engine / tranny finally out of the car and at the rebuilder. Keeping her original,

LowKat, warbird1 and BigDogSS like this.
  5. logic2

logic2

---Update / Good News ---
    A Few Questions....

1.) Finally got the engine separated from the Transmission and had them "both" rebuilt to factory spec.
    Replaced brakes, lines and master cylinder and have all new brakes.
    Had Radiator re-cored.

2.) Found the correct dual carb intake (casting number) and a pair of correct carter WCFBs.
    One of the WCFBs needed a small part (power valve) made (machined from aluminum) but both carbs cleaned up good and were rebuilt.
    Question: I had to create my own carb / accelerator linkage rod. It works ok but seems very sensitive and has almost "too good" throttle response. Very touchy. Is this correct or did the original carb linkage rod from the firewall pivot point have a spring or bend in it that accounted for sensitivity ? Right now, the it is just a straight rod from the carb linkage to throttle pedal assembly at the firewall.

3.) After assembly and installation the engine fired right up and broke in great (30 minutes) .
    The engine idles good and the tranny shifts ok, but I do not have a kick-down linkage so it shifts early. Still looking for a correct kick-down linkage setup.
    Question: Does anyone know where I can find a correct kick-down linkage setup ? Maybe Honest John ?

4.) Took it to the muffler shop for exhaust but it appears that the rear drivers side exhaust pipe exits through the back bumper and comes extremely close to the gas filler tube.
    Question: Is this correct and is it an issue ?

5.) Still looking for a set of red center caps for my aluminum wheels.
    IMG_1101.jpg

It's getting close.

6. squirrel

squirrel

that's good!

If you post a (larger) picture of the other side of the carbs, we could see what your throttle linkage looks like, and might be able to offer suggestions to improve it

7. logic2

logic2

Well, I got her on the road and running good.
    99% of the lights / electric / gauges all work as designed
    (Radio not working but I'll remove and check out / replace the caps to see if they are the culprit).

I just bought an original throttle rod and the one on there is a homemade job...I'll be connecting the original this week. My throttle rod is currently connected where my kick-down rod goes.

I know that the carb-carb linkage should be on the inside and not the outside, but I'll connect that when I hook up the original throttle rod.

The Kickdown (TV) rod that I have does not appear to be correct. (At least that's what I've been told)
    I may have a TV rod for a single carb application and not the dual carb setup. Therefore, I'm running around without a kick down rod so I have to be careful and not romp it while in high gear.

Still looking for the correct (dual carb) kick down rod since it appears I have the single carb rod.

All in all, it's a nice car and I'm really liking it !

Thanks
    Mike

IMG-1599.JPG IMG-1595.JPG IMG-1594.JPG

8. philo426

philo426

Very cool!Reminds me of a 58! 20171215_202150.jpg

logic2 likes this.
  9. gatz

gatz

What a beaut!

logic2 likes this.
  10. carbking

carbking

Pretty car!

The dual quad setup looks to me like a 1956, not a 1957. Difficult to be certain from the pictures. The '56's are certainly easier and less expensive than the '57's.

Jon.

logic2 and loudbang like this.
  11. BJR

BJR

Didn't they all come with stainless steel roof's? Or was that another model Cadillac?

12. Hyfire

Hyfire

Just the '57-58 Brougham models had the stainless steel roof. Even though they look a little similar, the Broughams were hand built cars with very little of what you see shared with the standard Eldorado.

[​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool, you had the engine and trans rebuilt and didn't swap in a Chevy engine like all too many guys would. Glad to see that you are keeping it all original as it is already a factory custom and a great looking car.

loudbang likes this.
  14. earleg

earleg
    from Starr, SC

15. ZAB

ZAB
    from Texas

Sorry I missed this thread. I have a friend with quite a few caddys and parts south of DFW if you're still looking for things. 100_0166.JPG 100_0150.JPG 100_0180.JPG 100_0182.JPG
    100_0184.JPG 100_0185.JPG

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  16. logic2

logic2

Thanks,
    The stainless tops are because that's all I could find that was period correct and I didn't have a batwing. The breathers are from a 57 Vette I believe (dual quad).

In general, I'm looking for a reasonable price on a batwing and a TV rod (Kick Down Rod) for a 365 dual quad.
    My kick down rod is incorrect, it's from a single carb application and does not work/fit.
    Thanks
    Mike

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  17. carbking

carbking

There are a couple on ebay right now for less than $1500. Don't know what you are looking to pay, but that IS reasonable, depending on condition.

Jon.

loudbang likes this.
  18. 392

19. ZAB

ZAB
    from Texas

I'll see if I can get by there this week and browse.

loudbang likes this.
  20. Wow....what a find! Damn nice car!

loudbang likes this.