Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Olds 303 324 hump valve covers re-pop??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Smack021488, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Smack021488

Smack021488
    from Chicago

Just got this set of olds j2 hump valve covers. I got them on eBay and the listing said
    Chrome is a good 8 on a scale of 1 to 10
    Fits Olds V8 303 / 324 / Early 371 with center post mounts

I get them and initially the chrome looked a little thin but looking at them more they look really re popish... I think someone re poped these in the 90's but not sure.
    I guess my question is if someone has a set of re pop ones what would be a way I can tell. They look like they have some of the press marks still in them then someone just chromed them with very little prep...
    Could that be old 50's catalog style, get the covers from GM then get a shitty chrome job done on them to increase margin??
    If anyone has any info please help me out.

Also I have an original set and the chrome on the original set is super thick.
    I have yet to check the new ones I got against the originals I have on my roadster.
    Thanks in advance hamb guys!

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy likes this.
  2. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

Wow, yeah! Those look totally re-pop. the 'chrome' looks like that cheap China flash-chrome. I don't know what the plating process is, but it looks just like it.

Smack021488 likes this.
  3. belair

belair

Those make me drool. Saw some Gothas years ago, didn't have a spare house to sell. Even if they're repops, chrome me up and go.

Smack021488 likes this.
  4. Smack021488

Smack021488
    from Chicago

Yeah I know but find a re-pop set... I have never really seen any. But I might have now..

5. Smack021488

Smack021488
    from Chicago

you know I like that idea I was thinking fuck it I will just get them re chromed and go from there!

belair likes this.
  6. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I have a pair that looked just like that before I painted them.

7. chrome them up or paint them and you are lucky to have two sets!