Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ref: the red/see through fuel line...need to know

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Thunder Road, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Thunder Road

Thunder Road

Does anyone have a good method for softening up this fuel line so that it is easier to slide onto the carb and distribution block fittings? It IS the 'right size', but holy cow it is very difficult to even get close to starting over the fittings...so I was just wondering.
    I don't want to grease it. I do have a heat gun and I have a cutting torch (jk).

How have y'all done it?

TIA !

2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think you are about to find out that they don't...use it that is. :cool: I have no experience with it so I have no opinion. I did buy some to use but changed my mind after reading a couple of years worth of derogatory remarks reading it's usage.
    You are correct, it doesn't stretch very well and a heat gun helps a lot.

3. You think it is hard now, just wait until some gasoline flows through it for a while, then its even hard to cut with a knife.

LOU WELLS and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. Used them in the early 70's and never will after that, use to put the end in hot water for a couple minutes and that made them easier to slip over the fittings...

kiwijeff likes this.

5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not approving, just sayin. If you are dead set on runnin the stuff...
    upload_2018-2-12_21-29-14.png
    This braided tubing is better then the speedway crap but read the warning, better be running clear fuel.
    upload_2018-2-12_21-31-5.png

dana barlow likes this.
  6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Save your time and run proper metal lines.
    If you insist on using the plastic garbage then you should make sure you have 2 things.
    1) good fire insurance
    2) a good fire extinguisher
    Because it’s only a matter of time until you will need both.

7. You could use a Heat Gun or a Bic Lighter,but would be better not using it as others have said.

8. Speaking of fire extinguishers...... and you'll likely need one with the red stuff.
    Get that fire extinguisher with a mounting bracket. Screw the bracket to the floor on the hump or in front of passenger seat. Attach the extinguisher right there in plain sight.. Don't leave home without it. After I torched my flathead powered 36 sedan several years ago I became a believer. Fixed the car and still have it.

KoolKat-57 likes this.
  9. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

I use it on my '40 sedan, but I replace it every year. IMG_20170912_082439_405.jpg

10. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Used them long ago on the coupe before I knew better.
    Had so many old timers who lost their cars approach me and plead with me to replace them.
    Scared me straight.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  11. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

If you think it's tight now, wait till it shrinks later. I've tried running that stuff for years. After multiple replacements and some close-calls, I'm going back to black.

12. carbking

carbking

If you absolutely, have to, must, can't live without it, use it:

(A) as previously mentioned - very hot water will soften the tubing
    (B) INSTALL AN AUTOMATIC UNDERHOOD HALIDE FIRE ESTINGUISHING SYSTEM!

Jon.

Cosmo49 likes this.
  13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The good news is; it won't be near as difficult to remove then!

14. Boling water is your best bet to soften it up.
    I have been known to use different lubricants to get a hose to slide on too.

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Funny thing is that most of us thought it was pretty lame to use it in the early 60's and it wasn't all that popular then. I have a feeling that a lot of guys who used it then used it because they didn't know how to and or didn't have the tools to bend or flair steel or even copper tubing right.

16. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used it in the '60's because I did think it looked cool. Fortunately, I've grown up since then.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  17. Moselli

Moselli

This red stuff was the Shiz Niz back in the early and mid '60's and we didn't have the term shiz niz back then, we were poor so we just called it "Cool."

Along with other top rated speed parts and accessories, American Auto and National Auto stores sold this stuff by the tractor trailer load. It was economical, easy to use and became brittle about 9 minutes after it was installed.

I used this on my homemade mini bike to connect a top mounted gas tank to gravity feed the carburetor on my salvaged Reo lawnmower slanted single cylinder mill. Kids from several blocks away came to marvel at the coolness of the red gas line and my engineering mastery.

When the line broke and sprayed Sinclair Rocket Power High Test gasoline on the hot exhaust, my friend Randy said that it was definitely the coolest mini bike fire he had witnessed up to that point in his life.

The burn on my right leg is almost healed....

slayer, dan31, slv63 and 11 others like this.
  18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

What does this have to do with red plastic fuel hose, absolutely nuth'n, but at least it has some social redeeming value, oh that's right, were just hoodlums anyway.
    How do you have the fastest minibike in town? Put a Mac 10 kart engine on it.
    How do you get back at your smartass friends?
    You call them over and act like something is wrong and have them hold onto the spark plug while you pull the cord:eek:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    Chavezk21 and Bandit Billy like this.
  19. Thunder Road

Thunder Road

Wow, I never expected this much info...but thank you all.
    A few things 1) I always run ethanol free gas in my hot rod. 2) I ALWAYS have a fire bottle in my car. 3) I didn't know there were other colors of fuel line- so, I'm going green- thanks to Bandit Billy,
    Should make for an unusual looking flathead, eh?

Thanks again guys !

Oh, DDDenny- my childhood go-kart had a Mac-10 on it..

20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

:cool:

21. khead47

khead47

Had a Mac 10 on my Ruttman Mini Bike when I was young. Crack the throttle doing about 25mph and the damn thing would mousetrap ! Scary fast !

22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I hope the OP got what he needed covered on RED fuel hose because minibikes are much more interesting.
    I had a Ben Hunt Mfg. mini with front coil springs, that Mac 10 kart engine would wheelie.
    My pals with Clintons and Briggs marveled at how fast that thing was.
    Back to our regularly scheduled program:(

23. Does this count as a mini bike?

[​IMG]
    Mine didn't have red fuel line but this is like my first bike. Truth is that I never rode a mini-bike until the HAMB Drags this century. Well I did ride a Tote Goat hunting over near Wamic once.

Oh back to red fuel line, I always just ran black flex line, I was never one of the cool kids. ;)

WillyKJr likes this.
  24. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Even with ethanol free gas you will have a time bomb on your hands.
    You may have a fire extinguisher, hope you also have fire insurance.

Green plastic fuel line :confused:
    Some guys are stubborn, and you can't tell them anything, and sometimes they only learn from bad experience.

You know what they say about the horse, you can lead him to the water, but you can't make him drink. :D

In this case I'd say it's more like the donkey, you can't lead the stubborn thing at all. :D:D:D

Cosmo49 likes this.
  25. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

You call it stubborn. I call it fuckin stupid.

Gman0046, Cosmo49 and flatheadpete like this.
  26. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Surf Side near #6.jpg Hot water works fine,a tiny drop of oil on fitting helps. I've used the red stuff ,starting in late 50s,an still do,love the look,very cool! Never a prob,but you can have one,made by you!
    Now if your lazys or just stupid then don't use it. It must be replaced every year,or before, if you see it going yellow or gets too stiff*{by you feeling it now an then]. If you need to be told not to mount near heat, an don't have fire extinguisher in your car any way,then your too stupid to use it.
    When I can't get new red,I'll put black gas line hose on temp tell I do,work on my rod a lot,its fun to me. Pic of red line near end of one of many rebuilds ,note dose not hang or flop around,just be smart an enjoy,or go with metal or black gas hose.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  27. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just as a disclaimer, I don't use it. I bought some before I read about the inherent dangers of it's use on the HAMB, i then heeded the warning, removed it and it remains on the shelf, not on my car.

Maybe I am lazy but I don't need to invite trouble, it has a bad enough habit of dropping by as it is...then it drinks all my beer before it leaves.

Dedsoto, Cosmo49, kadillackid and 3 others like this.
  28. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Just because it's not red, doesn't mean it's problem-free.

kadillackid and Hot Rod Nut like this.
  29. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

I run it on my hotrod coupe, I just change it out when it gets hard and discolored.

My dad has a 67 ford galaxie that he bought new and parked in the garage in 1970 unused when he bought a more family friendly 4 door.. And it looks to have red plastic fuel line from the tank oem!!!

30. Thunder Road

Thunder Road

This is kinda sad...you guys question my intelligence without even knowing me and petejoe has to be a filthy-mouthed pig.
    Thank you to those with sincere replies- to the others...take a hike- I didn't ask for that.

Luke stone, slim38, seabeecmc and 3 others like this.