Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Channeled or Duece frame???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ty johnson, Feb 10, 2018.

1. fortynut

fortynut

Deuce rails. The howcome is strength, width for a V8 out of the chute, and it adds another visual element with the height of the rails and the reveal. And, I always think safety, especially if they're boxed. 'Nuff said.

2. WTF really

WTF really

Not sure but it's definitely not mine.

3. mike bowling

mike bowling

channeled 4", full height , full fendered DSCN1676.JPG DSCN2162.JPG

4. car doctor

car doctor

IMG_20170723_134204.jpg My sons car, on A rails with a 3" chop. IMG_20170714_193955.jpg

Blues4U and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  5. Zee the "A" rails. This is not done very often these days, but it lowers the car without having to cut much of the body.

Blues4U likes this.
  6. joe1932

joe1932
    from NY

IMG_0737.JPG IMG_0751.jpg I built this 2 years ago. 1930 with 3" chop, Zed width of frame, 32 K member, wishbone and pedals. Halibrand quickchange. Biggest challenge is F1 box and header, had to move box into frame and make up headers. I would not channel any car. Joe

7. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

Channel if you're under 5 foot tall. deuce rails all day. More room etc

8. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

1 more vote for A bone. Deuce rails are cool, but that stick straight A bone looks so tough.
    I also vote full fenders if that's in contention.

Sent from my LGLS992 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Blues4U likes this.
  9. Well let me start by saying that I do not like yellow deuces. :rolleyes:

Now that we have established that I am a firm believer in personal choice. I like an A on an A chassis with just enough channel to hide the frame (about 3.5 to 4") it drops the tires just into the fender well. Then enough suspension drop in the front to give it a good rake. I am also a fan of a stock grill shell sectioned the amount of the channel.

That out of the way they look OK as a highboy on deuce rails too. ;)

Blues4U likes this.
  10. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

There you go man, that's the look right there. Sorry all you deuce rail guys, but this is the better look. Of course it's subjective, no right or wrong, only preference, but I'd take this look right here over deuce rails any day. And it's cheaper and easier to boot.

It's all good, A bones, deuce rails, channeled, highboy, Model A's of all kinds kick ass!

11. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Here's another one, great rod man! And I love the A radiator shell too!

ty johnson likes this.
  12. A Boner

A Boner

image.png
    Don't know about a build thread, but here is a pic of the front suspension.

ty johnson likes this.
  13. ty johnson

ty johnson

I had a boxed a frame. Kicked up in the rear about 8 inches. It was for sale with some other parts. A guy traded me a set of 32 rails for the frame. I'm set

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. ty johnson

ty johnson

Definitely! I researched a build about this. I dig it

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

anthony myrick likes this.
  15. I've always loved this car.
    It's lowered a pretty good amount though! Just right
    image.jpeg

Blues4U likes this.
  16. 32.jpg

narrowed 32 rails
    a 32.jpg

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    ty johnson likes this.
  17. image.jpeg
    That car looks sway backed &'broken.
    Like a 500lb gorilla and his 800 lb girlfriend busted the rear springs and bent the frame.

InstantT likes this.
  18. Vic this is the look that I prefer ( wide or narrow tires optional), the tires just fill the fender wells. That is not to say that I don't appreciate a car with the tires above the quarter @Dreddybear 's coupe comes to mind, but for a personal car this is what I prefer to build.

Beautiful example my friend. :cool:

19. Went from this.............

31A.JPG

To This
    meet 001.jpg

Attached Files:

• 31A.JPG
      31A.JPG
      File size:
      222.1 KB
      Views:
  20. I like it
    but the example was for 32 rails with the height of the rail shortened
    the cut at the cowl is optional

the proportions of the narrowed rail looks better under an A in my worthless opinion

21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I liked them until all the AG clone cars started popping up.

22. I agree with your worthless opinion and I'll second the motion.
    They look a bit too thick at the full 6". That seems to be why the A looks best dropped over the frame a bit or section the frame. Dropping the patch panels is a good way to cover some of the frame and preserve both cabin area and full frame strength and containment. Doing that also gives a more aggressive look to any chop.

The bare metal coupe has many things that pull attention, too bad most are negative for me.
    In my just as worthless opinion,
    These two cars belong in the same main category, different sub sections.
    Somebody is gonna love them both and think they are the coolest thing ever, worthy of hard earned money and countless hours of labor- but it ain't me
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

car doctor likes this.
  23. A deuce framed car does not have to sit entirely atop the rails. I have seen some very delicious deuce railed hot rods over the years both Deuce bodied and A bodied that have had a mild channel, just an inch or two. It is enough to take the thickness out of the frame rails and still have the look of the Deuce railed rod.

24. I would drive both of them

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well you could put some blocks on the floor of the coupe the same height as the proposed Channel, put a piece of plywood on top of that and put a seat on that and get in and sit and make motor noises for a bit. That would give you an idea of what it would be like to drive the car channeled. I love the look of a channeled A but remember that years ago when I rode in one that belonged to a guy I knew it was a bit of a challenge to get in and out even when I was half the age I am now.
    On the other hand If I already had a pair of 32 rails sitting there along with a real nice and Solid A coupe body I would be building me an A on 32 rails as that to me is the way to build a great looking car. If my wife and daughter hadn't voted for fenders on my 31 Vic I would be putting it on 32 rails as the cost runs the same as fenders and attending pieces.

26. I would drive this one and giggle the whole time I was doing it. Does that mean I am getting a little light in the loafers? o_O:D:eek::oops:

image.jpeg

anthony myrick likes this.
  27. I don't think anyone said the body has to set atop the rails.

These 2 might look identical but there's a subtle change that makes a huge difference
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Here's some grid lines, maybe this helps show it.
    image.png

akoutlaw likes this.
  28. Falcon H

Falcon H
    from Waco Texas

If it were mine I would build a hi-boy on deuce rails. It's hard to beat an A no matter what style, though!

29. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I'm a deuce frame fan under an A. I've done countless customer chassis pinched for a 30/31 body. Nothing cooler than a chopped A coupe sitting low on deuce rails with a deuce shell and stretched hood.

30. A Boner

A Boner

image.jpeg There is more than a subtle change going on with this coupe. It has sedan doors (longer than coupe) along with a lengthened roof and floor. Also when replacing the missing bottom of the body (rust), the builder actually increased the height of the sides of the body, at the bottom! The stock thickness frame doesn't look so thick because the body is thicker! I would call those drastic and slick changes. Perfect proportions.